1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting my CD's ripped to hard drive

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by gslater, Jun 2, 2005.

1. gslater

gslater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    ok...so this has probably been covered a zillion times on her but I'm hoping there is a reasonably consistent repsonse from anyone out there...

I have just finished my htpc build and the next step is to get my CD's ripped onto my hard drive. I plan to use my pc as a jukebox should I wish to play my music. I am not a massive audiophile so no need for the special "music nutter" special equipment or anything, although my setup is reasonable (When I output the music, my pc is connected to my surround sound speakers via a digital optical cable to my amp.)

So my question is...what program is best used top rip the music files and then "tag" the files to ensure all the correct song names etc.

2. stuartmc

stuartmc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are using MCE it has this functionality built in. When you put in a CD it'll start to play it and one of the options on that menu is Copy CD which copies the CD to the HD. You get the usual DRM warning/choice before this happens. You can then use Media Player or Album Art Fixer to sort out any problems with the tags.

3. Slinkoff

Slinkoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    i wouldn't recommend that method though. CD ripping can take a hell of a long time and it's something that should only be done once and so done properly. Take a look at EAC for quality rips and accurate tags, then use dbPowerAmp to convert to whatever format you like. Consider converting to a lossless format such as FLAC for archiving and then onto a lossy format like MP3 for playing through MCE. If you have a little techie knowledge you can incorporate MAREO into EAC so it rips and tags everything all at once, very very easy when you get it configured right and will make your ripping a breeze. Also look at Tag&Rename for tagging your music.

MCE can do it "ok", but there are freely available programs that will do it very very well and you won't be stuck with DRM files either.

And remember to back your music collection up even if that means splashing out on a large external disk. There's nothing like losing a music collection that took the best part of a year to create to make you want to throw your computer out the window and jump out after it.

slink