Question Getting my C6 professionally calibrated - tips?

Quintilian

Novice Member
Hi!

So next week I'm getting my C6 65" professionally calibrated.

I remember that I read a post/comment here in the spring about calibrating the C6 (and other LG OLEDS?), and that there are some things the guy doing the calibration should take into consideration... But now I can't find it again....

Also, we have agreed upon him calibrating the "expert bright/dark" modes as well as one HDR-setting.... I currently only have access to HDR10-materials (not Dolby Vision), but in the future I'll buy a DV-supported BD-player.... Should I get him to also calibrate the DV-modus; or does the HDR10- and the DV-modes share the same calibration settings?

Also; is there some kind I can make a back up of the settings except for basically taking pictures of all the setting screens (if he doesn't provide me with a calibration sheet with those specifications?)

Also; I currently have all post processing off, and during fast movements on the screen there is some VERY visible tearing(?).... An example is the Planet Earth UHD-disk... When birds were moving fast over the screen it appeared that they were flashing 30 times/sec against the background... This applies to all input sources..... Anyone knows whats going on?

Greatly appreciate any input... Guy shows up on Wednesday next week :)

Edit: I have found the 2016 Calibration thread; but I can't just point him to it and tell him to read all the pages... And I'm not tech savvy enough to extract the really important parts :)

Edit2: Should I also have the Game setting / HDR Game settings calibrated? I use the PS4 Pro for gaming, and a lot of the content supports HDR.... Is it possible to just copy the settings over, or does he need to calibrate each setting?

Last edited:

hakr

if you're paying someone to calibrate your set, you shouldn't need to direct them to a forum to tell them how to do it. They'll know how to get the best out of your setup. As for which modes to get them to calibrate, just ask for whatever you want done. Each mode takes time, so if they are charging per mode, you mgiht want to consider what you actually use/need, but if it's a flat fee, mention everything you'll use.

I don't have a dv player, very rarely use dv, just a couple of shows on netflix, so I didn't bother getting mine done. I got isf dark/isf bright, 3d, and hdr std. Does me just fine.

Game modes have very little calibration options, as there's no wb adjustments, only colour temp....other than that, it's just setting the basics like brightness and contrast etc.

Quintilian

Novice Member
if you're paying someone to calibrate your set, you shouldn't need to direct them to a forum to tell them how to do it. They'll know how to get the best out of your setup. As for which modes to get them to calibrate, just ask for whatever you want done. Each mode takes time, so if they are charging per mode, you mgiht want to consider what you actually use/need, but if it's a flat fee, mention everything you'll use.

I don't have a dv player, very rarely use dv, just a couple of shows on netflix, so I didn't bother getting mine done. I got isf dark/isf bright, 3d, and hdr std. Does me just fine.

Game modes have very little calibration options, as there's no wb adjustments, only colour temp....other than that, it's just setting the basics like brightness and contrast etc.
Thanks for replying.

The reason why I would like some tips is comments like this one in others thread in reference to performed calibrations:

"The fact that he used the CMS (hue, tint, saturation per color) shows that he has not much experience with the LG. He also used luminance-controls on 20Pt Greyscale. They introduce falsecontouring/banding and some errors in colors. Look into the LG calibration-thread, there you can read about theese problems.",
and;
"The trick is not to adjust the green at all."

Based on these kinds of comments I guess there are some things with LG OLEDs that might be different from other brands, and if the calibrator haven't got a lot of experience with LG it might be nice to point some of the issues out before he starts...

He is charging per mode, thats why we are limiting to the there modes I mentioned in my first post.... I wonder if I can copy the HDR settings over to DV as well, or does it have to be calibrated specifically for DV?

hakr

Thanks for replying.

The reason why I would like some tips is comments like this one in others thread in reference to performed calibrations:

"The fact that he used the CMS (hue, tint, saturation per color) shows that he has not much experience with the LG. He also used luminance-controls on 20Pt Greyscale. They introduce falsecontouring/banding and some errors in colors. Look into the LG calibration-thread, there you can read about theese problems.",
and;

Based on these kinds of comments I guess there are some things with LG OLEDs that might be different from other brands, and if the calibrator haven't got a lot of experience with LG it might be nice to point some of the issues out before he starts...

He is charging per mode, thats why we are limiting to the there modes I mentioned in my first post.... I wonder if I can copy the HDR settings over to DV as well, or does it have to be calibrated specifically for DV?
Who are you getting and how much are the charging?

Sure most pro calibrators will have done a fair few LG oleds by now.

I got canary Jules to do mine and it's superb.

SamAlf

Pretty certain you can't calibirate DV or at least you couldn't when Jules did my B6 earlier this year.

Quintilian

Novice Member
Who are you getting and how much are the charging?

Sure most pro calibrators will have done a fair few LG oleds by now.

I got canary Jules to do mine and it's superb.
I live in a rather small town in Norway. Actually there is only one company doing calibration work here... Not many OLEDs sold here, but he did have experience with those... Haven't asked about LG yet as we have just had brief contact via email.

He's charging around 250 USD including driving (3 modes).

hakr

I live in a rather small town in Norway. Actually there is only one company doing calibration work here... Not many OLEDs sold here, but he did have experience with those... Haven't asked about LG yet as we have just had brief contact via email.

He's charging around 250 USD including driving (3 modes).
All the oleds, no matter the brand are LG panels anyway. So chances are he'll know what's best :)

Parry

Distinguished Member
Thanks for replying.

and;

There is no trick to not adjust green , these oled not old plasma TVs
Adjusting green 2pt or 20pt is fine .
Only subtracting with 2pt

NicolasB

Distinguished Member
HDR10 and Dolby Vision use separate presets; but there isn't actually very much you can tweak for Dolby Vision. That said, anything he can calibrate, he should - to my eyes, the TV's Netflix app playing something in DV looks miles better than an external box playing the same title in HDR10.

(I'm basing that observation on my G6 and some returned-as-faulty E6's, but I imagine it's the same for the C6).