Getting my 50PHD8 in a few days but..

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Demonio, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Demonio

Demonio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey I'm a little unsure about the cable/audiopart (yes I have read plenty of threads here but my question/doubt is kinda mixed-up)

So...Since the PHD8 has no speakers, I'm going to connect my surroundsound set to it, via. my Denon receiever.. but as it is now, I only have a digital coax cable plugged in my DVDplayer's Coaxial output slot and connected to my coax input on my Receiver. And then my DVDplayer is connected to my CRT TV via. a crappy SCART cable for the video transfer.
    But when I get my PHD8 I'm planning to play DVD's via. my PC, via. VGA-cable, so how is the audio thing going to workout here?

What I'm unsure about is, do I need another cable to connect from my PHD8 to my receiver, than the coax cable I'm using for my DVDplayer now? I mean In order to play the audio from the DVD source (which is streamed via. VGA from my PC)...

I know its a kinda mm confused question, I'm just not sure whether I got the cables that I need or if I need to go to the HiFi shop to purchase a missing cable :)

Thanx a bunch!
    /David

2. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think i know what you mean :)

If the pc has audio out, connect that to the Denon as you did with the dvd depending on what the audio connection is on the pc.

If you try to imagine the screen is for vision only, and the amp handles the audio.

I know it's sometimes hard to get your head around all of it, but all of us have been there.

If the Denon has component in/ out switching, are you using this to switch the video/audio?

3. Demonio

Demonio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx for replying..
    oh so I need a cable OTHER than the VGA in order to hear the actual audio track on the DVD's?
    "If the Denon has component in/ out switching, are you using this to switch the video/audio?" I think i misunderstand.. but I'm not using it as a Scaler, it is only for Audio i use my Denon

On the back of my Denon Receiver (Denon AVR 1604) there are these slots (Red, yellow and white input ports) under
    IN:
    CD
    AUDIO
    AUX
    DVD
    TV
    VCR

Then next to it I have 1 input slot for "COAXIAL" (which i use for DVD audio atm)
    Next to that I have a section called
    "PRE-OUT": with these inputs
    Subwoofer
    DVD/VDP
    TV/VBS
    VCR
    MONITOR <-- is this the one i need to connect to my PC?

Last section is called
    "S-VIDEO":And has these (it writes IN to the left and OUT to the right)
    DVD/VDP
    TV/VBS
    VCR
    MONITOR

Sorry I'm totally lost here.. I just need to know what Cable i need to buy in order to hear audio from my DVD's via. my surroundsound set (as I understand VGA only streams video).
    This audio cable, do you have a picture of it, then perhaps it is easier for me to see where on the Denon I have to input it :)

Thanx a lot

PS: as it is now with my VGA cable, i will only be able to watch the picture on my PHD8 right? Just so I'm fully understood with the situation. :D