Getting more and more disappointed

cR4cKF0x 5TevE

Having played around with cables, settings, etc. I am still seeing large amounts of 'noise' when watching sport on either of the HD channels. When viewing large expanses of grass there is a lot of 'shimmer' and generally the picture looks awful. Close ups look 'ok' but not stunning.

Also, the box fans are permanently on, even when the box is in standby mode: is it worth getting Sky out to look at the box?

The box is connected via QED HDMI to my Hitachi plasma, have also tried connecting via a Supra HDMI to DVI-D cable and the picture is pretty much the same? Contrast set to low, all picture enhancements set to OFF on the plasma.

Interestingly, my dish, LNB and cables are quite old, with one of the cables being extended from its original length when my GF rearranged the living room. Is it worth getting Sky to look at the cabling etc.?

BTW, picture from DVD player into either digital interface on the Plasma is stunning, pointing towards a problem with the box rather than the TV?

Anyone offer any advice?

mats1965

Standard Member
i would first try a software upgrade.turn off at the mains then hold back up button on unit when powering up.this should cure the fans problem anyway.

tony @ suffolk

As far as the dish & cabling is concerned, just have a look at the signal strength bars in the Services menu. Thing is though, being digital you've either got a picture or you haven't, signal strength will make no difference.

What's the picture like on BBCHD? Should be excellent, particularly with stuff like Planet Earth. If it isn't then I guess you've got a problem with the box.

mats1965

Standard Member
i agree with you on that.i also found that when i had my box installed it changed my tv settings back to dynamic,i could not understand why the picture had gone so bad.i changed it back and all is ok.

cR4cKF0x 5TevE

As per title, rang Sky and an engineer is coming out Thursday.

Tried a forced software update, fans seem quieter now. However, checked signal strength and its 20%ish on input 1 and lower, around 15% on input 2. Signal quality on both is around 50%ish. Points to a cabling/dish/LNB problem to me; even the Sky Customer Care Helpline operator seemed surprised that my 9 year old cabling and dish wasn't replaced, especially with there being an extension to the original cabling.

Even had a failed recording tonight (fault 8 whatever that means) and an error message afterwards saying no satellite signal being received: the girlfriend is less than impressed that she has missed Eastenders :rolleyes: .

Giblets2

Novice Member
mats1965 said:
i agree with you on that.i also found that when i had my box installed it changed my tv settings back to dynamic,i could not understand why the picture had gone so bad.i changed it back and all is ok.
That'll be because you were plugged into the HDMI input which you probably weren't using before - most settings like that are 'per input'.

Dave911

Gravy
I have a Hitachi PD7200 and have just got Sky HD installed a week ago.
There must be something wrong with your setup as all I can say is WOW - jaw dropping.
As our colleague says Planet Earth is amazing and TBH I have found some of Sky's HD good too (Enterprise).
A lot of people have said that PQ is poor - I would agree that it does vary, but the reality is half the time is that they are watching upscaled stuff and they do not realise.
As for settings - the HDMI input (6) will be set to standard ARGGGHHHH!! factory defaults - tweak it down to your DVD settings and you will see the difference.
FYI my signal and strength are both about 75%.
Honestly you should not be dissapointed you have a great TV which puts a lot of others to shame. I have just had my mother up (78 years old) and she loved it!!

JUS

Have you tried component? You can connect both and just flick between the two to see which is best. In SD I certainly see more noise using HDMI.

Have you set you SKY HD box to auto?...if you set it to anything else the SKY HD box will be scaling...much better to let the TV do it.

If all that fails then try turning NR on on your TV...If you have a setting for that :)

and if all that doesn't make a diff then perhaps it is the cabling...I'd be suprised..usually with digital you either get a signal or you don't...I'd expect the picture to be breaking up and not just showing a bit of shimmering.

Though you are right about, the signal strength/quality should be higher, as has been pointed out here already, as long as they are stable, it won't make any difference to the picture quality output by the box.

This sounds like a classic of TV settings wrong to me. Run a THX optimode disc if you have one (Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope is the best one as the optimode on there isn't set for that movie but is set as a standard). I think you'll find your white level (contrast) and black level (brightness) are set to high.

Ideally, at first, the picture should look to dark. You'll soon get used to it and wonder how you didn't watch your previous set up wearing shades and factor 25 :D

mstodge

Novice Member
Armoured Tiger said:
Though you are right about, the signal strength/quality should be higher, as has been pointed out here already, as long as they are stable, it won't make any difference to the picture quality output by the box
What Signal should we be looking at here. My signal quality is jumping from 50% to 75%
on both inputs and Seems to jump around every 20 seconds. The strength on input one is about 80% and input two about 70% anyone else like this? Its never stable.
also i had sky+ for around five years before the HD upgrade but the engineer never replaced the Dish or cables.

cR4cKF0x 5TevE

Thanks for the advice.

"Armoured Tiger" and "Dave911"
To confirm, I have used the picture settings from the Hitachi 42PD7200 thread, with contrast at 12 and brightness at 5, colour, if i recall correctly, is -5: are you suggesting the contrast and brightness could be too high? Everything else is set to off (sharpness is -15) apart from black enhancement which is set to middle.
Dave911: could you PM/email your settings for me to try?

For information, I did some channel hopping last night (after the software update) and picture on the 'Nature' (can't remember what they are called) HD channels is excellent, it is purely when watching sport that I encounter these problems (and then only with the grass shimmering). Does that point to a settings issue, and, if so, should I cancel the engineer visit?

Points to a settings issue to me. You shouldn't really try somebody else's settings either and expect them to work. There's lots to take into consideration - cables, age of the panel and hours run, ambient light to name but 3.

Seriously, try the optimode thing and see how it goes. If you haven't got any THX certified discs with the optimode on them, PM me your details and I'll lend you my copy of Digital Video essentials.

I would cancel the visit until you can rule out the settings issue. If it was the box, it would be doing it on all channels.

cR4cKF0x 5TevE

Thanks Armoured Tiger

Have tried DVE already, and did not get on with at all.

I'll run one of the THX Star Wars disks tonight and see how I get on.

Thanks again.

Ellispa

Don't want to sound too pessimistic here, but I have the same tv, and I get the same problems, mainly with Sport and especially everything with big swathes of green. Its like there are tears on the pitch when the camera pans, and nothing looks 'solid'. Close ups are fine, its just the TV (I think) has particular problems with football. HiDef is better than SD, naturally, but the effects are still there, if somewhat reduced.

In some ways its good for me to know that someone else has the problem, and if you manage to fix it, don't forget to say!

Worth noting that I also run a projector of SKY and on that LCD Panel, none of this is apparent, so it can't be the signal, at least not in my case.

I may try changing the Box to Auto rather than 1080i, just to see if that makes a difference. Can't see how, though, as it was the same situation long before I got HD.

gravygrange said:
Thanks Armoured Tiger

Have tried DVE already, and did not get on with at all.

I'll run one of the THX Star Wars disks tonight and see how I get on.

Thanks again.
No worries mate. You need to run episode 4. All the others set the screen for that particular movie.

cR4cKF0x 5TevE

Have now dropped brightness and contrast down to -6 :eek:

As per title, I have noticed the same shimmering effect on all the HD channels. Did yet more channel hopping last night and as well as shimmering on football/cricket, I now get the same 'effect' with 'sky scenes' on the National Geographic HD and Discovery HD channels. Spoke to Sky yet again, and the engineer suggested a new LNB and new cabling to see if the poor signal strength is causing these problems.

More worryingly, after the forced software update the fans have now returned to their previous noise levels and the box emits an intermittent clicking noise. The fans are especially noisy when the box comes out of standby, the clicking being most obvious when I am playing back a recording whilst recording something else.

Sky are now coming on Saturday, could be a long visit for the engineer!

cR4cKF0x 5TevE

Sky engineer came yesterday and realigned the dish, changed the LNB, and swapped out my HD box for a new one. Signal strength and quality are now around 80% (and stable).

At last, I am getting a picture that justifies the 'High Definition' branding. Shame about some of the DD sound mixing though, especially on yesterday's cricket coverage.