Getting maximum speeds upstairs in new office

jasontheplumber

Novice Member
Reaction score
hi guys im currently on Virgins top package and get about 580mbps on fast.com
i also have 6 bt mesh hubs dotted about the house so wifi is really good
i try to hard wire anything i can but ive moved my office from a room downstairs to bedroom 5 upstairs
i have lead going out of bedroom 5 and down outside the house to a port switch in a cinema/media room below
howver im only getting 95 mbps wired?

is these anything i can do other than the dreded (already bought 30m rolld of outdoor cable to throw over the roof to the front of the house where the router is)

but id rather not spen my weekdn climbing ladders

any reccomendations?
thanks

what are you connecting? And do you have a diagram to help us understand the architecture/layout of house and hubs etc

currently have virgin router in lounge with 1 cable going under the floor to the back of the house
to the port switch i mentioned (this has like ps5,smart tv,nvidia sheild etc) the second cable then i ran a cat 6 from the port switch and straight into my pc
it was getting 580 mbps downstairs but for some reason now only gets 95 upstairs via the switch

Is your switch a gigabit one?

If it's only 100mbps then that's very likely your issue.

If one of the pairs is not connected on your cable it will drop from Gigabit to 100Mbs you need to check all of your cables, with a cable tester to make sure that all 4 pairs are connected.

what is the connection in the device that is connected to the network where you are measuring the speed

Does that switch have any lamps that indicate the link rate...? Some switches use a colour change to indicate 100mbps versus 1000mbps connection.

from the installation guide

1612703029815.png

What is the device in the room that the switch is connected to?

If you cannot deduce a link rate from the switch, if you have a fairly mobile PC available (laptop is ideal) you could temporarily put that on the end of a line a see what it comes up at (though bear in mind, not all PC's have gigabit NIC's in them.)

Switch is fine. Given that it’s dropped to 100Mbs I’d start with testing the cables.
Totally agree, and I'd go further to say its simply is the cause of your problem. You could use an end to tester, that will tell you if you pairs are all connected, and connected correctly. One of those will set you back all of ÂŁ10 these days, but save you a lot of time and bother that can't be measured in ÂŁÂŁÂŁ

Beware though, cheap 10 quid cable testers do little more than prove electrical continuity - they essentially "loop back" each wire pair and stick a voltage down it that lights up a lamp. You could do the same thing with a light bulb and a battery. Better than nothing, but they don't spot things like split or crossed pairs, broken wires and don't even begin to perform the slue of tests required to "prove" that the link is "cat" whatever (testers that do that cost hundreds/thousands.) Thusly it is possible for a cable lobe to "pass" on the 10 quid tester but still not be "right" and/or not be capable of availing gigabit ethernet. To repeat - better than nothing, but not much.

I hate it when the manufacturers sum the ingress and egress link rates like that. It's such a misleading con.

Just like powerline extenders that always quote the "duplex" speed as the headline ... :devil:

Going with cable is not wired correctly or an issue with a socket (less likely but if one pin is bent then it can cause this issue)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom