Getting lost in AVForums

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please tell me I'm not the only person that browses the all unread posts and finds time has flown by reading threads about things I know nothing about or don't have a vested interest in? A bit like the rabbit hole YouTube's recommended videos can be.

I find it a great way of learning about new things though that I may not otherwise have looked up.

Please tell me I'm not the only person that browses the all unread posts and finds time has flown by reading threads about things I know nothing about or don't have a vested interest in? A bit like the rabbit hole YouTube's recommended videos can be.

I find it a great way of learning about new things though that I may not otherwise have looked up.

Yup general chat for me in a nutshell.

Until the thread gets moved out of GC then it dies.

Translates as: Get's moved to a board better suited to the topic subject and is full of people that know what they are talking about, but use words the OP doesn't understand :p

This is one of the main tasks that the Mods are obliged to undertake (reading all of the unread posts) and as you say it can be very inspirational and educational on one hand and on the other hand somewhat despairing.

Translates as: Get's moved to a board better suited to the topic subject and is full of people that know what they are talking about, but use words the OP doesn't understand :p
Nobody goes to food section, I see February on Page 1

Nobody goes to food section, I see February on Page 1

Do you mean Food & Drink? That was last posted on 13 minutes' ago!

A wasteland is Wii U games: last post January 2018. It's just a question of time for that Forum, alas.

Last edited:
I have to say I don't get lost but I might start to now, generally don't because I use the app so only see what I'm subbing too.

I have to say I don't get lost but I might start to now, generally don't because I use the app so only see what I'm subbing too.
After I've checked out threads I've participated in on the app, I often check out unread. When I do this I leave it to nighttime when I know I've got time to concentrate on what I'm reading.

Yep, totally agree @MarkyPancake, especially so for me if I'm working away and sat in a hotel room (like now). I think to myself 'Hmm, I'll just have a quick look at AVF before watching something on Netflix', 2 hours pass and I'm thinking 'what the hell!' :laugh:

This is one of the main tasks that the Mods are obliged to undertake (reading all of the unread posts) and as you say it can be very inspirational and educational on one hand and on the other hand somewhat despairing.

Where I moderate (since 2002) I have access to all logs and am one of the first online when the Yanks go to bed.
First thing I normally do is check all new sign ups with the usual Pacific rim IP addresses and the wonderful 180 IP and then all sign ups with a number to their name.
After an hour or so I sometimes post :p

Lose hours here but it’s free and get to learn something everyday, my wife’s envious lol she’s always amazed when I don’t know how to do something and 5 mins later I do courtesy of this place, food forums my favourite :)

Lose hours here but it’s free and get to learn something everyday, my wife’s envious lol she’s always amazed when I don’t know how to do something and 5 mins later I do courtesy of this place, food forums my favourite :)
And the payback is that we learn from your imparted knowledge too, particularly in the Food and Drinks forum IME.

Like tonight I realised you made your own Devon/Cornish pasties! Whouldathunkit?

Food and drink section was a slow starter but a good section now. Well worth a visit and participating in a few threads just to get the notifications IMO

I’ve been following the pizza oven thread with interest despite having no intention of getting one and not being an enormous pizza fan. Ditto Wahreo’s pallet-shed thread – doubt I’ll ever do anything remotely like it but I’m finding it really interesting nonetheless.

Best done when in the smallest room of the house :)

Friday evening it's Pork chops and roast potatoes, 50 mins for the potatoes and and the last 20 mins for the chops. Been known to log on here after chucking spuds in, to then hear the cooker beeper go only to realise I hadn't remembered the chops. :blush:

I’ve been following the pizza oven thread with interest despite having no intention of getting one and not being an enormous pizza fan. Ditto Wahreo’s pallet-shed thread – doubt I’ll ever do anything remotely like it but I’m finding it really interesting nonetheless.
This time next year, you’ll be posting pics of you alfresco pizza creations created from within your shed. You know it, I know it, we all know it.

Yep - if bored I will find I am learning about such topics as golf bag strap replacement and seriously questioning whether I need a new hobby.

Incorrect

Partially - there are indeed threads last posted in Feb on the first page - gc's first page only goes back two days.

Doesn't mean there aren't a small number of high count threads getting a lot of traffic of course.

Partially - there are indeed threads last posted in Feb on the first page - gc's first page only goes back two days.

Doesn't mean there aren't a small number of high count threads getting a lot of traffic of course.
Correct, I stand corrected.

Until the thread gets moved out of GC then it dies.

yep, I posted a thread about chilli oil in the food section and it only got one reply.. :(

yep, I posted a thread about chilli oil in the food section and it only got one reply.. :(

I think that some topics are more specific and only have a small target audience/ small amount of people with knowledge of the subject, so wherever some threads are posted they not generate much response, the busiest threads in food forum are pizza, bbq and last nights dinner, we are mainly blokes, we like fire we like eating and love pizza!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom