getting iphone today - bit of help

ohh_danielson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

Getting iphone today hopefully from 02 store, going for 8mb version.

Basically is there anything i should do immediatly such as install certain programmes, download software?

Been reading through posts on here and alot of talk about firmware etc which doesnt make much sense to me. . .

Also is it true next month we getting software update which allows video capture, send pictures, upgraded camera?

Here's the list of features that are due to be coming in OS3.0

In-App Commerce: Developers can sell their applications partially instead of selling the whole package
Accessories: Control and communicate with external hardware devices through Dock connector or Bluetooth
Peer to Peer: Protocol that allows an iPhone to find other local devices within the vicinity using Bluetooth
Push Notification
Landscape mode: Landscape mode keyboard works in all apps including mail!
Copy, Cut and Paste
Forward / Delete: Support for message forwarding and deleting individual messages in a conversation
Spotlight: Search virtually everything including apps, text, messages or simply anything
Multimedia messaging:Sending photos or audio files through messages

You might want to hold off on buying an iPhone for a little while, as it's been widely rumoured that there will be a new, updated iPhone announced at Apples WWDC on the 8th June.

Rumours suggest there will be an upgrdaded camera (3/5mp, possibly flash?), an upgrade to storage to 32mb, an upgrade to the ram and processor speeds, and probably more...

Even if you decide to go for the (old) 3g iPhone, I'd imagine prices should be reduced once the new one has been announced :smashin:

My contract ended a few weeks back, so I took out a simplicty month-by-month contract with O2 as I'm waiting to see what happens in a weeks time :D

Here's the list of features that are due to be coming in OS3.0

You might want to hold off on buying an iPhone for a little while, as it's been widely rumoured that there will be a new, updated iPhone announced at Apples WWDC on the 8th June.

Rumours suggest there will be an upgrdaded camera (3/5mp, possibly flash?), an upgrade to storage to 32mb, an upgrade to the ram and processor speeds, and probably more...

Even if you decide to go for the (old) 3g iPhone, I'd imagine prices should be reduced once the new one has been announced :smashin:

My contract ended a few weeks back, so I took out a simplicty month-by-month contract with O2 as I'm waiting to see what happens in a weeks time :D
Cheers paul :)

Im no good at waiting though :D

So the update include video capture or upgraded camera :(

Tempted to wait, but no dates set for new phone when looking around the net. . . And when it does come along the monthly prices may well be too steep hmm

Tempted to wait, but no dates set for new phone when looking around the net. . . And when it does come along the monthly prices may well be too steep hmm

There might be video capture, as there's been some functionality found in the betas of 3.0 for video capture, but nothing certain yet. The upgraded camera will probably be only on the new iPhone as it would need a new censor/optics etc (hardware rather than software changes) :smashin:

I've waited for ages now so I don't mind waiting a bit longer :D

I too am on the simplicity month by month contract and will be getting a PAYG iphone to use with it in the coming weeks.

Even if they do announce a new iphone which does have prices too steep I'm fairly certain the currect 3G model will drop in price and ebay will be full of 2nd hand 3G phones as people cash in before upgrading.

Would defo reccomend not taking out a 3G right now, 3 weeks or so and you may save yourself some serious cash.

I too am on the simplicity month by month contract and will be getting a PAYG iphone to use with it in the coming weeks.

Even if they do announce a new iphone which does have prices too steep I'm fairly certain the currect 3G model will drop in price and ebay will be full of 2nd hand 3G phones as people cash in before upgrading.

Would defo reccomend not taking out a 3G right now, 3 weeks or so and you may save yourself some serious cash.
Your probs right . . . My concern is im out of contract as cancelled with 3 and am now am using my 30 days. Im just concerned the new iphone gets announced but isnt out for a months time

Your probs right . . . My concern is im out of contract as cancelled with 3 and am now am using my 30 days. Im just concerned the new iphone gets announced but isnt out for a months time

I can't see the iPhone being announced and launched at the same time, more than likely it will be available a few weeks after, late June/early July ish, although you never know :D

If your current phone is unlocked you could always transfer onto an O2 simplicity contract (I presume you've got your PAC number with 3), then upgrade to the iPhone when it's out :smashin:

Last edited:
I can't see the iPhone being announced and launched at the same time, more than likely it will be available a few weeks after, late June/early July ish, although you never know :D

If your current phone is unlocked you could always transfer onto an O2 simplicity contract (I presume you've got your PAC number with 3), then upgrade to the iPhone when it's out :smashin:
Yea i have a PAC code mate . . . I dont think its unlocked though?? But whats the simplicity contract? Ta :)

Yea i have a PAC code mate . . . I dont think its unlocked though?? But whats the simplicity contract? Ta :)

It's a sim-only tariff from O2, 1 month rolling contract with 30 days notice to cancel, and AFAIK you can upgrade at anytime as you are always in the last 30 days of your contract :smashin: You can also add on stuff like unlimited web etc.

Have a look on the O2 website, you can do it all from there.

It's a sim-only tariff from O2, 1 month rolling contract with 30 days notice to cancel, and AFAIK you can upgrade at anytime as you are always in the last 30 days of your contract :smashin: You can also add on stuff like unlimited web etc.

Have a look on the O2 website, you can do it all from there.
Last question to torture you with :D how do i know if my phone is locked to 3 or if its unlocked?

Last question to torture you with :D how do i know if my phone is locked to 3 or if its unlocked?

I suppose it's only payback for me sniping you with the M4 last night on pyhhrus rise :devil:

Back on-topic: Easiest way to check would be to borrow someone else's simcard and see if it works in your phone. Not sure if 3 will give you a code to unlock it if it's locked, or if you'll need to pay a phone shop to do it, been ages since I've had to unlock a phone :smashin:

It's a one month rolling contract deal that doesn't give you a phone, but does give you lots of minutes and texts instead. :thumbsup:

I've got an iPhone and a Simplicity sim, I pay £19.58 per month and get:

• 800 minutes.
  • 1600 texts. :eek:
  • Free internet Bolt on.

Tariffs <table border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td align="center"> <table border="0" cellpadding="8" cellspacing="0"> <tr> <td> <font class="gamma" size="2"><span class="gamma-neg-alert"> Your browser does not support th

If you go on to simplicity you've also then got the following options:
  • Buy a payg new iPhone, and use the simplicity sim card in it
  • Buy a used/reduced 3g iPhone and do the same as above
  • Upgrade to a contract for the iPhone when the new one is relased

AFAIK the only thing you lose on Simplicity is the visual voicemail, if you want unlimited web and/or wifi you can add these as bolt ons :smashin:

Last edited:
  • 800 minutes.
  • Free internet Bolt on.
Plus, a MMS message costs you 4 normal texts on the Simplicity plan (could be very useful when MMS functionality is added in the OS3.0 upgrade).

As an aside, how will O2 charge current iPhone contract holders for MMS messages post OS3.0? The same "4 for 1" cost perhaps?

thanks guys :)

Think this phone is locked to 3 i could easily use one of the old mobiles we have in the house

So its basically sorta like a month rolling contract and when new iphone is out i could upgrade? Even if im just using a old mobile?

Ps paul . . . I think i got you a couple of times too though :D

Think this phone is locked to 3 i could easily use one of the old mobiles we have in the house

So its basically sorta like a month rolling contract and when new iphone is out i could upgrade? Even if im just using a old mobile?

It's a rolling one month contract, so you are only ever under a one month notice period.

Check the O2 link I posted earlier....:smashin:

Yep, rolling contract then whenever the new iphone comes out, either change to an iphone contract or buy a PAYG iphone and keep using the simplicity sim.

(Very slim chance of a new iphone coming out on PAYG though, most likely to be purely on contract for first 6 months or so)

just been in to 02 there cod spoke to the lady and gentleman working i said im after an iphone but im not sure whether to wait as heard theres a new 1 due, they said its only rumoured no one really knows at this stage, i said but iv heard its likely and they said really the only change that would be made is the camera, the other updates will be available for the current iphone through downloads.

I mentioned but still the current price plan should go down on current iphone but she said she doubts it will anytime soon cos its still recent.

They also asked if id be going for business tariff (previously i spoke to the gentleman and told him id make odd work related call and would check works emails but i dont think it would be 40% usage, he said all they would do is ring you and ask if its used for business and you say yes)

So thats tempting too . Hmm

just been in to 02 there cod spoke to the lady and gentleman working i said im after an iphone but im not sure whether to wait as heard theres a new 1 due, they said its only rumoured no one really knows at this stage, i said but iv heard its likely and they said really the only change that would be made is the camera, the other updates will be available for the current iphone through downloads.

I mentioned but still the current price plan should go down on current iphone but she said she doubts it will anytime soon cos its still recent.

They also asked if id be going for business tariff (previously i spoke to the gentleman and told him id make odd work related call and would check works emails but i dont think it would be 40% usage, he said all they would do is ring you and ask if its used for business and you say yes)

I'd take anything O2/carphone warehouse shops say with a pinch of salt, as found out by another member here...

I've just had a conversation with a Carphone Warehouse employee who should come with is own B***s*** alarm system.

I asked him if I would be able to get an upgrade to my iPhone 3G if/when a new one was launched in July, he said "yes" but then followed that up with there wasn't going to be a new phone, just an "iPhone Nano" :confused:.

He went on to say that it was only new firmware (OS3.0) and not new hardware - despite telling me 10 secs earlier about an iPhone Nano. when I asked him where he got his info from he said it was "all on Apple's website" and internal memo from CW HQ.

Thinking I needed more BS, I asked him about the rumours of o2's exclusivity deal ending, his reply was "Apple's deal isn't with o2, its with carphone warehouse, we're the one's who say which network it's available on. Originally we had a deal with T-Mobile but it fell through (he mentioned something about "walk & talk"), so we went to o2, we may change later in the year, most likely to Orange to fall in line with most of Europe"

Anyway, just thought I'd post this up for entertainment value if nothing else...

It is all rumours at the moment, nothing at all has been confirmed by apple, but I (and a lot of other people) would be very surprised if there wasn't a new iPhone in the next couple of months.

Just a thought, when did you ask for your PAC code? If the 30 days run out after the 8th June (the apple WWDC), then you could wait until then to see what is announced, if a new iPhone is announced they will probably also give an idea to a release date (either a physical date or a rough time i.e. early July) then you could go onto simplicty if launch is, say, a month away, or get the new one if it's available immediatly, or get a 3g if nothing is announced :smashin:

I'd take anything O2/carphone warehouse shops say with a pinch of salt, as found out by another member here...

It is all rumours at the moment, nothing at all has been confirmed by apple, but I (and a lot of other people) would be very surprised if there wasn't a new iPhone in the next couple of months.

Just a thought, when did you ask for your PAC code? If the 30 days run out after the 8th June (the apple WWDC), then you could wait until then to see what is announced, if a new iPhone is announced they will probably also give an idea to a release date (either a physical date or a rough time i.e. early July) then you could go onto simplicty if launch is, say, a month away, or get the new one if it's available immediatly, or get a 3g if nothing is announced :smashin:
21st jun i have til, great thinking think il do that only week n half away :)

Thanks paul, remind me to pop a few bullets into ya when next on killzone :)

I had a phone call from O2 today informing me I was due a free upgrade and if I would like to get it. I told her I was looking for an iPhone but was looking to wait if a new one was coming out. She told me there is definitely a new iPhone expected soon but she didn't know when it was being launched, most probably the next couple of months. She had no idea about the expected price plans etc. either.

I have been transferred to a 30 day rolling contract similar to the guys below:

£20/month gets me:
  • 600 mins
  • 1200 texts
  • Unlimited internet
  • International discounted calls

So I think it's worthwhile waiting for a new model, hope it really does have a better screen/camera/battery life etc. and it doesn't cost a bomb or have too many new hardware/firmware bugs!

On an interesting note she did say that I could change the details of a 2 year contract after 9 months.

It's a one month rolling contract deal that doesn't give you a phone, but does give you lots of minutes and texts instead. :thumbsup:

I've got an iPhone and a Simplicity sim, I pay £19.58 per month and get:

• 800 minutes.
  • Free internet Bolt on.

Tariffs <table border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tr> <td align="center"> <table border="0" cellpadding="8" cellspacing="0"> <tr> <td> <font class="gamma" size="2"><span class="gamma-neg-alert"> Your browser does not support th

It's also "4 for 1" when you're abroad, which I find really handy. :thumbsup:

400 texts for £0-works for me every time!

Now if only O2 would follow Vodafone's current offer of abolishing roaming charges to make/receive calls....:rolleyes:

I had a phone call from O2 today informing me I was due a free upgrade and if I would like to get it. I told her I was looking for an iPhone but was looking to wait if a new one was coming out. She told me there is definitely a new iPhone expected soon but she didn't know when it was being launched, most probably the next couple of months. She had no idea about the expected price plans etc. either.

I have been transferred to a 30 day rolling contract similar to the guys below:

£20/month gets me:
  • 600 mins
  • 1200 texts
  • Unlimited internet
  • International discounted calls

So I think it's worthwhile waiting for a new model, hope it really does have a better screen/camera/battery life etc. and it doesn't cost a bomb or have too many new hardware/firmware bugs!

On an interesting note she did say that I could change the details of a 2 year contract after 9 months.

I wish the plebs getting paid minimum wage at the o2 call centres would stop advising people of something they nothing about.

Nobody but apple know whether a new iphone is coming out, thats why there are hundreds of websites devoted to apple rumourse.

The chances are that yes a new phone is likely, but o2 customer services know as much about it as me or you.

Until I see facts from apple, I wont believe a word.

Rant over..... sorry!!

hi guys

i am getting a new iphone (getting it through work so dont have a choice to wait)

as OP asked, is there anything i should download, get etc for the iphone when i get it.

thanks in advance

I wish the plebs getting paid minimum wage at the o2 call centres would stop advising people of something they nothing about.

Nobody but apple know whether a new iphone is coming out, thats why there are hundreds of websites devoted to apple rumourse.

The chances are that yes a new phone is likely, but o2 customer services know as much about it as me or you.

Until I see facts from apple, I wont believe a word.

Rant over..... sorry!!

whats the minimum wage go to do with it? why you trying to use that to degrade someone doing a job, who pay there taxes?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom