1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting home-made VCD's to play

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by TomStuart, Dec 23, 2002.

1. TomStuart

TomStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My new Cyberhome 550 will play store bought Video CD discs but I cannot get it to recognise VCD's or MPEG1 files I burn on my cd rewriter on to CD-R or CD-RW.
    As I want to convert digital camcorder stuff on to CD for playing in this DVD player it is frustrating.
    Any advice please?

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    Not familiar with the Cyberhome. But here are some things to try:

1: Establish whether or not the player is capable of 'seeing' CD-R discs. Some are not. Try making a simple audio CD and see if it will play. If it will, then your player can 'see' CDR and the problem lies in the burning software. If it will not, then your player cannot 'see' CDR and there is nothing you can do. Except try using CD-RW blanks. Most DVD players CAN 'see' CDRWs. So repeat the experiment with a CDRW.

2: If the problem is with your burning software, then it depends on what software you are using. In my experience, with Roxio EasyCD, you need to set the burner to 'track at once' mode - rather than 'disc at once'. The most robust burning software for VCDs I have come across is Nero. This seems to be more reliable at mastering VCDs correctly.

3: Ensure that the files you are using to make the disc are in the correct MPEG format. MPEG allows for all sorts of variables, but only two very specific types will work on VCD. One for PAL, and one for NTSC. Try dowloading tmpgenc from www.tmpgenc.net to create your MPEG files, and use on of the supplied VCD templates when converting.

All you need to know about VCD and more from www.vcdhelp. com .