getting full 5.1 surround sound

mikefaeaberdeen

Standard Member
Reaction score
hello, I know this has probably been asked loads but if someone could advise me on whats the best thing for me to do, i'd be very greatful..

Right i have an LG 32inch lcd tv and a pioneer xv-dv370 home cinema..

I got myself a ps3 yesterday and thought i'd connect it straight into the optical of the dvd player.. only to realise it doesnt have one:thumbsdow its only got an HDMI out socket too so cant even get surround sound that way..

Would i be best getting some seperate receiver?? and hooking dvd player and ps3 to that??

mucho thanks:smashin:

mike

Yep you need something with optical input to get dd and dts 5.1ch from your ps3, or something that can take audio over hdmi if you also want dolby true hd / dts hd ma.

There are lots of av receivers and amp / speakers all in ones that'll do this, so it depends on your budget / needs / taste etc what's best for you.

How much are you looking to spend, and what will you be connecting up to it?

Last edited:
Yes mate, like colspark says either something that has an optical In or HDMI IN. To get the most from your PS3 it would be worth buying an amp which can accept HD audio over HDMI (onkyo 507/Yamaha 465 - £220). You will then be able to listen to HD audio from BD's.

Cheers

Saf

cheers people..

emm i'd like to be able to have normal tv through surround sound aswell as ps3.. if i got a seperate reciever, how would it connect up? would i leave the speakers connected to the dvd player as is and connect dvd player to receiver?

tv only has one hdmi slot which sucks, its got an optical slot.

would spend around £300- 350, dunno if that will get me something decent..

cheers people..

emm i'd like to be able to have normal tv through surround sound aswell as ps3.. if i got a seperate reciever, how would it connect up? would i leave the speakers connected to the dvd player as is and connect dvd player to receiver?

tv only has one hdmi slot which sucks, its got an optical slot.

would spend around £300- 350, dunno if that will get me something decent..

Hi mate,

I doubt you'd be able to use your dvd speakers with a dedicate amp so you may have to fork out for a 5.1 speaker package (if you want surround sound straight away that is).

The cheapest pairing would be onkyo 507 plus tannoy sfx5.1 which will altogether set you back £420.

It would be worth it imo as you be able to get the best out of your ps3 in terms of sound quality and you also connect you tv to it aswell for sound. You can have your sources connected to your amp (PS3) and then just have a single hdmi lead connected from your amp to your tv.

Onkyo TXSR507 Silver | AV Receiver With HDMI Interface | Richer Sounds

Tannoy SFX5.1 Black | 5.1 Speaker Package | Richer Sounds

I would personally forget about your dvd player as your PS3 can do that anyway (it has excellent dvd and BD playback).

Once you have you PS3 connected to your amp via hdmi, then connect amp to tv via hdmi. Then you would need to route the sound from tv to amp. Use an optical lead and connect from optical OUT on TV to optical IN on amp and you're set!

Cheers

Saf

Depends what amp / system you get for how you'd connect it up.

Your speakers for your dvd surround system can't be used with anything else - as for the dvd player itself, it may not output surround sound from its only output (the hdmi output to tv).

It would pretty much mean the end of that system really but it is quite limited in what it can do - no inputs for other stuff etc.

Your ps3 can act as your dvd and blu ray player though.

If you get a system with hdmi audio you just connect ps3 to amp with hdmi, then amp to tv with hdmi to take the picture on to tv. You'd connect either an optical cable or a red & white audio cable from your tv to amp to take 2ch audio from tv to amp.

A good and relatively cheap all in one system which takes audio over hdmi (and has lots of inputs for other stuff) is the htddwg800:
link

this is also within your budget:
htss100

Alternatively you have the separates route, as above. You could get a separates amp and speakers within your budget but it would probably be a system with optical input and not hdmi audio, so you would get dd and dts but not the hd audio formats.

Getting a separates amp and speakers that will take hdmi audio would take you over budget but if you can push your budget up i'd say go for it.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom