1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

getting frustrated with subsetup

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by mick23, Jun 25, 2002.

1. mick23

Standard Member

Mar 20, 2002
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    had my paradigm pdr8 for a week now, having made sure it is working, tried tubular bells cd , track i +2 both tracks have quite a lot of bass i play track one and adjust sub crossover and output on sub to suite, can tell sub is making a difference in sound, turn sub off then on differance is noticible, play track 2 sub on then off , no real differance can be noted, my speakers are rated 60-20hz sub range is 50-150hz as the difference between sub and speakers is only 10hz would a sub that goes lower improve the difference between sub on /sub of , or is it totally down to the music track or source materil being fed through amp thank you
  2. MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    You've answered your own question really.

On some tracks, you may not be able to even detect the presence of a subwoofer at all, even if you toggle it on and off, as they contain little in the way of low bass. On others, toggling on and off may make it quite obvious.

A correctly set up subwoofer shouldn't be obvious in normal use though - it should not attract any attention to itself at all, and the deep bass should appear to be coming from that weedy set of speakers in front of you.
    As you've found, it can take a bit of fiddling around to get it all set up nicely, but it's usually worth it in the end.

Make a note of all your final settings though - it's easy to forget them after a few months, and if they get disturbed you then have to do it all again.