1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting flicker on projector images from DVD playback

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by dan1979, Oct 23, 2004.

1. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    PC hooked up to my Panasonic AE500, I run dvd's at 1280x720 native resolution using PowerDVD.

Most of the time it looks fine however when the camera pans slowly there is a lot of flicker.

I assume its something to do with refresh rate, most of the DVD's I'm watching are PAL so 50Hz and I think standard monitor refresh rate is 60Hz?

I tried changing the refresh rate in Powerstrip but I kept going out of the projectors range and sending the screen blank.

Does anyone have a similar setup who could shed some light on what settings I should use to eliminate this problem.

Thanks

2. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Are you running through vga or dvi, what graphic card are you using and what dvd software are you using. I have an ae500 and dont get any flickering on pans. When you say flickering do you mean juddering or jerkiness.

3. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    I'm using DVI, graphics card is a XFX Ti4200 sofrware is PowerDVD

Its definitely a flicker I'm getting, its only on slow pans, just a sort of flicker along the middle of the screen as if its not quite keeping up with itself.

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Is this tearing? A Ti4200 isn't sluggish I'd have thought. While playing PAL at 60hz can cause a stuttering, I'd not have thought your description was of that. In any case, my projector only accepts 60hz too and I don't see this sort of effect.

What does playback look like on your monitor? What about VGA?

5. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    Never noticed any problems with VGA though I haven't watched many DVD's through that.

It's not down to a weak graphics card, I've watched stacks of the windows high def demos on here and they work perfectly.

6. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    If its tearing (which it sounds like it is) it could be a video to audio sync issue. I couldn't get PowerDVD to work properly at 50Hz.

Reclock has a very useful utility to show if the audio\video sync is an issue. I think its a tickbox at the bottom that shows vsync tearing. It will scroll a bar horizontally across the screen to show you if sync is an issue. You can then adjust your powerstrip settings accordingly to set this right.

I dont think reclock works with PowerDVD though.

Try a different software player to see if the issue persists.