Getting dts HD master on Panasonic dp-ub320ebk

rob1234j

Standard Member
I have recently purchased a Panasonic dp-ub320ebk 4k player. When I select the video output to 4k I can only get the sound decoding as dts on my Sony av receiver but when I change my hdmi cable and select the video output to HD the sound is decoded as dts HD master Am I doing anything wrong or would I need to get a new cable. I forgot to mention that I have a optical cable connecting the tv to the av receiver would that be preventing it from decoding in dts HD master. Would I need to unplug the optical cable

Last edited:

gibbsy

The player needs to be set to bitstream, the Sony (I would imagine) needs to be set to automatic decode. If one cable is allowing DTS HD and the other doesn't then that your question basically answered. New cable.

rob1234j

Standard Member
Hi thanks for your advice I have managed to get dts HD master to decode on the av receiver whilst the video output is set to 4k by removing the optical cable from the tv. But I'm only getting dts HD master to decode as five channels and not seven even though the av receiver can handle seven channels

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Is there seven channels on the disc you are playing?

If not you will need to up-convert somewhere if you want audio out of all connected loudspeakers.

Joe

rob1234j

Standard Member
Yea there is seven channels on the disc. I can get dts hd master 7.1 when I have the hdmi cable going from the the player to the av receiver but when I plug the player straight into the tv i am unable to get it.

gibbsy

Yea there is seven channels on the disc. I can get dts hd master 7.1 when I have the hdmi cable going from the the player to the av receiver but when I plug the player straight into the tv i am unable to get it.
That's because your TV cannot pass 7.1 in all probability.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Only the very latest TV's which support eARC are going to offer you HD audio support via HDMI Inputs on the TV.

Joe

rob1234j

Standard Member
I have connected it via hdmi arc. When I connect it to the av receiver I can get dts hd master but the video output on the 4k player is in 1080p.

gibbsy

Your video setting will have no influence on the audio. Both 1080p and 4K discs have the same audio, although more 4K will have an Atmos or DTS:X soundtrack. The fact that your player is outputting 1080p has nothing to do with the audio.

By connecting the player to the receiver for both video and audio then the receiver is capable of processing 7.1 DTS, et al. If you connect the player to the TV and use ARC back to the receiver then the TV is only (probably depending on eARC ability, if fitted) capable of passing back a 5.1 soundtrack. You have yet to tell us what TV model you have.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Where you have a single HDMI Output on a 4K UHD capable Player and a mix of capabilities on the devices you can connect the Player to (AVR + TV) you will find you are limited in either the Video or the Audio depending on which Connectivity you use Player > AVR > TV vs. Player > TV > AVR.

Your options are 1. Live with the least worrying limitation (usually HD audio), 2. Return the player and purchase a player with Dual HDMI Out (that allows for 4K video to the TV + HD audio to the AVR). or 3. Replace the AVR (with a unit which fully supports 4K UHD video).

There is a forth option 4. Install an HDFury AVR Key - that would not seem to be economical in your system.

HDfury AVR Key - The Media Factory

Joe

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
AVR - 4K UHD Video (No) - HD Audio (Yes)

TV - 4K UHD video (Yes) - HD Audio (No).

A Dual Output 4K UHD Player is what you require if you wish to optimise the video and audio for the AVR + TV.

Joe

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
If it is only going to be an issue for 4K UHD Disc playback then a Dual HDMI Output (2 x HDMI sockets) 4K UHD Player will be ideal - if you have other Sources which are capable of 4K UHD Video + HD Audio I would stick with your current 4K UHD Player and consider upgrading the AVR.

Joe

gibbsy

You have two options in changing the player for a dual output model. Getting a new 4K capable receiver would make more sense. One HDMI into it and one out to the TV.

One of most popular models is the Denon AVR X2500:
Denon AVRX2500H (Black)

As you are used to Sony then the 1080 is a comparable receiver to the Denon:
Sony STRDN1080 (Black)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom