1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting DTS/dolby digital with Kenwood KR-V8050

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by titanax, Apr 6, 2002.

1. titanax

titanax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just acquired a hand-me down

Kenwood KR-V8050 receiver (whos surround options are limited to DSP, DSP LOGIC, 3 STEREO, PRO LOGIC & BYPASS),
    2 Tannoy 609s &
    1 AR MC.1 centre speaker.

These were pretty ok in the Video CD (VCD) era, & the Panasonic SL-VS502 VCD player plays music quite well too.

But I'd like to upgrade so that I can watch DVDs on DTS & Dolby...how can I do this while still keeping my existing equipment?

My living area is quite small measuring 2.5m by 4m.

Thank you in advance....this is so exciting !!

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Has the Kenwood got a 5.1 ch external decoder input??

If it has, you´ll need a dvd player with built in decoders and 5.1 channel analogue outputs which you connect to the inputs on the amp.

If it hasnt, then you cant get Dolby/DTS, you´ll have to buy a new amp/receiver.

To be honest you´re probably better off buying a newer amp with all the onboard decoding and a new dvd player (if you dont have one already).

3. titanax

titanax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jase,

I don't know if it does but it supports 2 fronts, 1 centre & 2 rear...is that what you are asking? Oh & it's got Dolby surround too.

Yeah...I agree with you about getting a new amp...but I am strapped in the funds dept. & thus I'm bound to a cheaper alternative.

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    The Kenwood has no onboard Dolby Digital/DTS despite having the Front, Centre outputs etc.

Have a look at the back panel, it will have six inputs close together labelled External Input/Decoder - front left, front right, centre, sub, rear left, rear right (or something similar), without this you cant get DTS etc