Getting drivers for a USB based VFD ??

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by John_N, Jul 20, 2003.

1. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

My new DIGN HV5 case has a samsung USB-based VFD 16*2 display and IR remote control interface. It didn't come with any drivers and I can't seem to find any on the web - all the software like LCD Smartie seems to use a parallel based or serial-based display.

I gather than one solution is to use a driver that presents the USB port as a "virtual" COM port and then drive that using LCD Smartie or similar.

Anybody got any comments / feedback / ideas on using this device?

When the machine boots up by the way, if I plug in the USB device it says: "Found hardware: Sasem Remote Controller V1.1" and I can't find drivers on the web for that either......

Sigh.
    Cheers
    J

2. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Have you tried LCDC (http://www.lcdc.cc/index.php) it should work with USB display...it works fine with the Matrix Orbital USB one's anyways.

Cheers, Lee

3. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

As far as I know, the matrix orbital displays come with a driver that emulates a "virtual " COM port for the device. This allows software such as LCDC to talk to it.

However, my problem is that for some reason, my DIGN HV5 case and display came with NO drivers at all... So when I plug my VFD into the USB port at the back, I get the message "found new hardware" - "Sasem Remote Controller V1.1" and it wants me to locate a driver for it. I don't have one and I was wondering whether anyone else has any ideas.....

The VFD is supposed to be an IR remote interface and VFD in one. I think the display is made by Samsung. One the face of it, the remote part may be made by sasem. They are both wired into this USB plug and I can't get any drivers on any websites so far...
    :(

4. wentboy

wentboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure if this helps but on my search for info on the Dign HV-5 case I have found 2 links to drivers:

www.cinefx.com/vfd.htm
    www.iuneed.com/HV5.htm

I don't know if the drivers are of any use as I don't have a case yet, but would like to know if you get it working as I hope to be getting the case soon...

- Dave -

5. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I found the link for the USB driver on Iuneed.com and installed it. However I can't for the life of me get the VFD to respond. All the software like LCD smartie seems to assume you are using a serial port or a parallel port and I'm not - it's a USB port!

So if this driver "emulates" a port and turns my USB port into some serial port I've not found it - don't find any config or anything - there were just 2 files for the driver and they ended up in the WINNT directory when windows had finished. I can't see any way to get this display to function so far. I've tried LCD smartie and LCDC and both failed because they only give me COM1, COM2 and PArallel and don't mention anything about the USB device.

Totally stuck. :(

6. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Still no ideas anyone? MAybe I'll have to wait for someone else to hit the same issue... Again - can't get the wretched VFD to do anything apart from display the "welcome" message "DIGN Home Theatre PC"...

7. Ivan8192

Ivan8192
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a TIRA-1 infrared receiver/transmitter. This is USB-based. Having installed the drivers, when I plug the TIRA-1 into a USB port I get:

1) a 'TIRA' device listed in the hardware device manager, under USB controllers.

2) a virtual com port listed in the hardware device manager, under Ports. This says it's Location is 'on TIRA'. I don't know how that mapping takes place (whether the com port driver has been customised or whether it is configurable).

Looking at the details of this driver, it is made by FTDI and seems to be downloadable at:

http://www.ftdichip.com/FTWinDriver.htm

Maybe you can try it.

Ivan.

8. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. I tried it, and it didn't work :-(

HOWEVER. I made a major breakthough finally and found the stuff on the ahanix website for the D-VINE series 5 including full instructions. Turns out that the Sasem OnAir VFD-IR drivers interface to a girder plugin and you do it all through girder..
    I've written up my full review now and posted it so see that.