Getting dolby truehd audio to work

dvdood

Novice Member
I'v tried reading many topics about truehd audio, but got overwhelmed by the amount of information and people comments. Creating a post to ask for what would work in my scenario and i wouldn't waste money on something that doesn't. My home theater consists of 7.2 speakers (no atmos speakers). I use LG HU810PW projector (does have earc), my receiver is denon avr x2300w (simple arc only, i think it's 2016? model). So besides watching netflix from projectors webOS i want to be able to stream content from my pc or even use external hdd to play content that only has truehd audio format.
From what i have been reading people often use Nvidia shield to pass audio to receiver and video to tv/projector(first time i'v heard of Kodi software). Is that a valid solution for me? Also buying 4k blu-ray player that supports all formats i need would also work just be more expensive option?

andym81

I'v tried reading many topics about truehd audio, but got overwhelmed by the amount of information and people comments. Creating a post to ask for what would work in my scenario and i wouldn't waste money on something that doesn't. My home theater consists of 7.2 speakers (no atmos speakers). I use LG HU810PW projector (does have earc), my receiver is denon avr x2300w (simple arc only, i think it's 2016? model). So besides watching netflix from projectors webOS i want to be able to stream content from my pc or even use external hdd to play content that only has truehd audio format.
From what i have been reading people often use Nvidia shield to pass audio to receiver and video to tv/projector(first time i'v heard of Kodi software). Is that a valid solution for me? Also buying 4k blu-ray player that supports all formats i need would also work just be more expensive option?
Easier way is to have your sources connected to your 2300, then you don't need to rely on arc

next010

Distinguished Member

1) WebOS internal apps do not support passing TrueHD.
2) Your sound system doesn't support eARC (needed for passing TrueHD).
3) Kodi is cross platform media playback software (its available on the Shield).

So yeah connecting directly to the Denon makes the most sense, seems to support 4K 60hz SDR, maybe not HDR though.

The other approach is purchase the Sharc, an eARC bridge for older sound systems, this would allow passing TrueHD from HDMI devices connected to the LG projector like the Nvidia Shield, OSMC Vero 4K+ or Zappiti media players.

That would retain HDR output if source media on PC or USB is HDR.

4k Blu-ray disc player is only good for playing Blu-ray discs, typically not so good as digital media player.

Zarzou

Novice Member
Hello @dvdood , and others :)

Just purchased the HU810P as well and am in a similar situation but with an older AVR. Denon AVR 887 which does not support any recent formats.

Currently, I've connected the projector to the receiver using an optical cable so I'm getting the 5.1 Dolby audio from the TrueHD track.

My understanding/education on audio technology is still evolving but I was wondering if the HU810P can output LPCM 7.1 on the eARC HDMI?

And besides the SHARC (which I find a bit expensive) would this device work? It says it supports PCM 7.1 so I assume that if the projector is able to output it, my AVR would receive it.
OREI eARC 4K 60Hz Audio Extractor Amazon product

Am I wrong in my logic?
Thanks

next010

Distinguished Member
Hello @dvdood , and others :)

My understanding/education on audio technology is still evolving but I was wondering if the HU810P can output LPCM 7.1 on the eARC HDMI?

And besides the SHARC (which I find a bit expensive) would this device work? It says it supports PCM 7.1 so I assume that if the projector is able to output it, my AVR would receive it.
OREI eARC 4K 60Hz Audio Extractor Amazon product

Am I wrong in my logic?
Thanks

Maybe, the projector has an eARC port and seems to use a recent LG alpha chipset, all the settings are the same as recent LG high end models which can do PCM 7.1 over eARC.

You must enable eARC in WebOS settings, set sound mode to pass-through and HDMI audio input to bitstream.

Then set your device to pass PCM audio, for example in Kodi leave pass-through disabled and set number of channels/speakers to 7.1

Never heard of that orei extractor but the Sharc was originally built for LG eARC TV's.

Zarzou

Novice Member
Maybe, the projector has an eARC port and seems to use a recent LG alpha chipset, all the settings are the same as recent LG high end models which can do PCM 7.1 over eARC.

You must enable eARC in WebOS settings, set sound mode to pass-through and HDMI audio input to bitstream.

Then set your device to pass PCM audio, for example in Kodi leave pass-through disabled and set number of channels/speakers to 7.1

Never heard of that orei extractor but the Sharc was originally built for LG eARC TV's.
Thanks mate!

Zarzou

Novice Member
@dvdood
I'm really a novice here :p

I was expecting to get 7.1 PCM audio out of the Projector itself using PLEX/Netflix/Amazon Prime. Just getting Stereo while using PCM. I have an old Receiver with 7.1 speakers connected but the best I can get is 5.1 with some MATRIX mode to put it in 7.1.

Knowing that Netflix only has 5.1 content or ATMOS I suppose I can't expect anything here.

I will look in PLEX forums to see if it's possible to get 7.1 PCM output.

At last, I'm looking for a 4K bluray player that would output 7.1 PCM. Does this exist?

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom