Getting disconnected from LIVE when I'm not actively using LIVE

SirGorilla

Prominent Member
Reaction score
This has been happening since late August and, while it isn't a massive problem, I would rather be without it. If I'm playing in a match/whatever in multiplayer, the connection is 100% fine, but if I'm in a party or single-player (i.e. not using LIVE directly), I get disconnected from LIVE after about fifteen minutes. It allows me to reconnect with no problems, but then the same thing happens again after fifteen minutes.

I've put it down to Microsoft freeing up the servers if LIVE isn't being used actively, though I'm most probably wrong.

If anyone can give me an explanation, I'll be very grateful.

Thanks!

I've heard of this happening before and I'm sure it's some kind of router config issue. MS definitely don't have Live set up to drop connections when they're idle, or it would be happening to me as well.

Definitely sounds like a router issue. What's your setup?
Possibly some power saving function? Have you tested to see if it's the same period of inactivity each time that causes it?

Definitely sounds like a router issue. What's your setup?
Possibly some power saving function? Have you tested to see if it's the same period of inactivity each time that causes it?

It's seemingly random unless I keep reconnecting to LIVE which seems to stop the issue after 2-3 attempts. I'm using a Belkin Wireless G+ MIMO router. What other specs do you need? I'm a little naive to doing spec lists :blush:. There's no power-saving function that I know of, so I doubt it's that.

It's seemingly random unless I keep reconnecting to LIVE which seems to stop the issue after 2-3 attempts. I'm using a Belkin Wireless G+ MIMO router. What other specs do you need? I'm a little naive to doing spec lists :blush:. There's no power-saving function that I know of, so I doubt it's that.

No specs really mate, was just wondering how you were set up, ie internet connection sharing or direct connection etc. Do any other devices connected to the router display the same symptoms?

No specs really mate, was just wondering how you were set up, ie internet connection sharing or direct connection etc. Do any other devices connected to the router display the same symptoms?

Nope, the connection isn't shared. It's just the Xbox and the computer, which is usually of when I'm playing anyway. My brother's iPhone and laptop don't disconnect randomly at all, though he suffers from the same disconnects on his Xbox when he's not actively using LIVE.

Nope, the connection isn't shared. It's just the Xbox and the computer, which is usually of when I'm playing anyway. My brother's iPhone and laptop don't disconnect randomly at all, though he suffers from the same disconnects on his Xbox when he's not actively using LIVE.

I don't think its this, but its worth a go and won't cause any harm:
Link

There's a few videos on YouTube with people moaning about the same thing with that router. This one for example: -

YouTube - Belkin Wireless G+ MIMO router disconnect bug rant

The top rated comment is: -

dude i have the same problem!" i disconnect every 5-10 mins for no reason!!

Here's an unboxing video for that router: -

YouTube - Belkin Wireless G+ Mimo Router - Unboxing

The top rated comment: -

it always drops out when i play xbox live :s . i got the same router
I know this doesn't help you, lol, but it could just be that that particular router has issues and is a bit of a dud. I can find plenty of whining about it, but no solution, as people have tried resetting it to factory settings and so on, but it makes no difference. The only thing I can think of, is did you upgrade the router's firmware around the time that this started? If not, is there a firmware upgrade available for it that may fix the issue?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom