1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting digital sound from PC

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Alexg, May 26, 2005.

1. Alexg

Alexg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

I've got a sound blaster platinum 5.1 (about 3 years old) I've tried everything I can think of to get the digital output from it working with my amp (Sony STR-DB940) I just cannot get any digital sound working from it at all be it SPDIF on the front bay, optical on the front bay and the digital 3.5mm jack on the actual card. All the drivers are installed and the creative software.

Help!

Thanks, Alex.

2. Alexg

Alexg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Really need an answer on this guys, tried searching to no avail.

-Alex.

3. mickey

mickey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    you have enabled the spdif output in the soundcard driver and the spdif output in the player you are using?. Mike

4. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    Well let me know this and i may help..What dvd software do you plan to use ie powerdvd Theatretek.
    You may need a sound filter like AC3 for passthrough has your card got spdif out connection?

5. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    Have you gone into the advanced sound settings in windows and enabled spdif pass through. I had this problem and by doing this it solved it for me.

6. Alexg

Alexg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, where is "spdif pass through" ? can't find that option, I've found "digital output only" but ticking that doesn't make much difference.

I've got an AC3 codec, and nearly every other codec under the sun installed.

I've tried power dvd, win dvd, media player etc.

7. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Hi,

So you have a cable from digital audio out on the sound card to digital audio in on the amp, and you have the amp selected to the appropriate input.

In the sound card drivers panel look for and enable everything that is connected to spdif passthru, or digital audio out, or multi channel via amp/receiver.

Go to control panel, sounds and audio devices, advanced and make sure that spdif is not muted (tick in the mute box should be removed).

Restart your computer, turn the volume of the amp up, see if you get any windows sounds. If so then you just need to configure your media players and audio codecs correctly to enable the spdif passthru.

Let us know if it works
    lisa
    :)

8. Alexg

Alexg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Lisa,

I can't find anything that referes to "spdif pass through"

9. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    The main ones to find are on the sound card drivers and check that spdif is not muted in windows. From Control Panel - Sounds and Audio devices - Advanced - Options - Properties - Make sure SPDIF is ticked in 'show the following volume controls' - then check that it is not muted.

What do your sound card drivers look like? What are your options, can you post a screen grab?

lisa

Thought of something else - does your motherboard have onboard sound? If so have you disabled it in the BIOS.

10. Dazb75

Dazb75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The AC3Filter (if that's what AC3 codec you are using) has a configuration program. Usually it is setup to handle all digital output (AC3, DTS, etc) and I think the default setting is 2-channel output.

Anyway, all creative 5.1 cards are notoriously bad for outputing 5.1 sound to an amp. The digital out on the card is only designed for creative speakers, which isn't made very clear when you buy the damn thing!

Search around. There are other sound-card related forums in which this subject and some good tips are discussed at length.