1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

getting Desperate

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by mulder, Oct 11, 2003.

1. mulder

mulder
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I bought a sony TRv19,firewire card and a dvd writer (Pioneer 106a for it's dual writing capabilities). The thing is I have tried my pinnacle 8 express software to capture and burn to DVD as I have no other software but the Disc won't play on anything even the Writer I used to burn it. i would have thought that the encoding and burning in Pinnacle would have been ok but it's not. I havetried packard bell and Bulk-paq orangeDVD-r's spent loads of money on all of this but still can't seem to produce a home video on a DVD. Has anyone got any ideas?

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I'm afraid I don't use Pinnacle 8 express but can you make DVD folders with Pinnacle 8 ?

It should create a VIDEO_TS folder containing .IFO .BUP & .VOB files. You can then play these back from your hard drive to see if your project is building correctly, if it is we can move on to solving the burning problem.

3. mulder

mulder
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    vonhusen, i can't find any of those files all I can find is AVi files that have been created in the editing suite. Pinnacle Express does it all for you after you edit your video it saves them to a folder as AVI. you then just go to the burning suite which it encodes and burns video to disc un-successfully.
    also
    I have just got hold off Pinnacle studio 8 as well as a demo version of nero this allows me to create an mpeg1 or mpeg2 file and store it on my hard drive but nero won't recognise the mpeg2 or avi files instead it's asking for the files you mention which i can't find anywhere.

4. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    After you have done editing does Pinnacle express not have an option to create the folders to disc for burning later rather than burning straight to disc? (It can't burn the .AVI files to DVD it will first encode them to MPEG & then author them into the .VOB files). If not I would imagine it stores the VIDEO_TS folder in a temp directory.

Use the Windows file search facility & search for .vob

The VIDEO_TS file is what you get when all the authoring (links menus etc) are done & they await burning

5. mulder

mulder
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    yep found the .vob files in the pinnacle express temp folder doesn't do much if i click on it though

6. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Do you have PowerDVD software player on your computer ?

& are the .vob file in a VIDEO_TS folder in Pinnacle temp or just in Pinnacle temp ?

7. mulder

mulder
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah i do have power DVD and the .vob file is in the VIDEO_TS folder. The .vob files are in the shape of the power dvd icon

8. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Right

launch PowerDVD, then depending on what skin you are using, find what looks like a file icon (says select source when you point to it) & click on it. You should now be able to choose "Open DVD File on Hard Disk Drive" . Navigate to & select the file "VIDEO_TS.IFO" inside your VIDEO_TS folder & click on "Open".

You should now be able to preview exactly what your DVD is going to playback like.:D

If it previews OK we'll move on to burning :clap:

9. mulder

mulder
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yep found .IFO file power dvd plays it ok.

10. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    What burning software came with your drive ( or other burning programs do you have) ?

I've got to pop out for an hour I'll check back then ;)

11. mulder

mulder
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I downloaded the demo 30 day trial of nero 6 and nero express vision 2 from Ahead website. If all goes well i will probably buy it. I think it is the full program which expires the end of this month. I also had to download directX9 for express vision 2 to run. I,m not sure how both nero's work yet.

12. Orbitalzone

Orbitalzone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Pinnacle Studio is notoriously unreliable especially when it comes to making DVD's (I use it a lot for editing footage but I don't use it for burning to DVD)

Why not try Ulead Video Studio 7 1 month free trial to see how that goes? Get it here: www.ulead.co.uk/vs/trial.htm

I prefer to use something like TMPGEnc DVD author to make my DVD's although Nero is generally pretty good.

I have the Pioneer 106 and used with TMPGenc DVD Author www.pegasys-inc.com/e_main.html works well for me.

13. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    mulder

I don't use Nero but I believe you need to open the program , choose to make a "DVD-Video" project & then load the VIDEO_TS folder that contains your .IFO , .BUP & .VOB folders.

The VIDEO_TS folder should be in capitals & it should be burnt at root level (not inside any other folder) .

Some players like to see an AUDIO_TS folder as well (although this would be empty) It doesn't hurt to create an empty folder in the Pinnacle temp directory.

Load these two folders only at root level & burn.

14. mulder

mulder
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Vonhosen
    nero keeps saying file re-location failed you can still burn disc but video might be un-playable when I try and load this folder into set up disc

15. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    ???

Problem is I don't use it

If I do remeber rightly it has two panes You find your source folder in the left hand pane & drag & drop it to the right hand pane ?? something like that.

I don't know if someone who uses Nero can help you out on that bit...?

I use RecordNow Max myself (always found that Very reliable)

16. mulder

mulder
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Vonhosen
    I ignored the nero warnings and still copied to disc and guess what it worked it plays on my DVD player downstairs as well. thanks to your help at least it shows I'm on the right lines anyway!! still don't know what the re-allocation or whatever it is means though.

17. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Congrats & enjoy :smashin: