getting correct aspect ratio

erictgleason

Novice Member
Reaction score
I just purchased and installed a home theater system. I am struggling getting the projector to fill the screen. I am hoping i can get it all to work the way i want. Here is what i have.

Mitsibushi HC8000D projector
Elite screen 115" diag 45.1H x 106W aspect ratio 2:35:1
All going into a Pioneer VSX-522-K 5.1-Channel 3D Ready A/V Receiver

I can fill the H but not the W. Is there any way to get it strech so i can us the whole screen?

Picture is amazing

Home video software is (mostly nowadays) mastered as 1.77:1 (aka 16x9). Within that frame, the actual movie content may occupy all of, or only part of, the height. "Only part of" occurs when the original movie is something like 2.35:1. "All of" occurs when the movie itself is (more or less) the same shape as the video signal, the widescreen TV standard 1.77:1.

The standard for a TV or a projector is TV widescreen which is 1.77:1 (or 16x9). This is the natural shape of the image the projector wants to project. You can't readily change it.

Now, if the content fills the height ("All of") then you CANNOT "correctly" also fill the width of your screen UNLESS the screen is 16x9 - and yours isn't; it's wider. Expanding only the width of your image would distort (stretch) the contents which would then look wrong. And expanding the width AND height (zooming) would crop the top and bottom so you'd miss something you should be seeing. Therefore, in the case of a 1.77:1 movie, it is CORRECT that your screen is not filled widthways.

If the content fills "only part of" the height, (i.e. is cinema widescreen, like 2.35:1) then you have a movie in the centre, and plain black areas (which are on the disc; part of the signal) above and below to bring the video's total shape back up to the TV standard of 1.77:1. In this case you CAN safely discard the top and bottom - there's nothing useful in there - by zooming to fill your width.

So, in short:
Movie 2.35:1 - should fill the screen both ways; do this by zooming your lens
Movie 1.77:1 - should NOT fill the screen widthways.
and, if you have any...
Movie 1.33:1 (old TV shape) fills even less of the width.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom