Getting connected with Orange Livebox

kayzee

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi I wasn't quite sure what section to post this in, but as it's to do with the PS3 I thought I'd chuck it in here!

I'm getting my PS3 later this month, and wouldn't mind trying to get online with it. I have an Orange Livebox... originally I thought there were two types, a wired version and a wireless version. However after looking around am I right in saying the wireless capabilities have been inside my wired Livebox the whole time!? At the moment I just have it connected to my PC via ethernet cable.

I'm sure I'll probably be asking for more help once I actually attempt to set the thing up but for now thatg is my main question...

Also... getting online with the PS3 is free isn't it!? Thanks :D

It has built in wireless yes, its not as fast as using a wired connection though so you may want to look into that depending on how far away your PS3 is going to be.

Online is free :thumbsup: well unless you buy stuff ;)

Excellent cheers. They're only going to be about two meters or so away anyway! But really I'd like to avoid yet another cable in my room...

So I don't need a router or anything? Just plug and play? :cool:

hi
got mine connected to a orange livebox wirelessly and it works
a treat go through the set-up on the ps3 then press the inside button
on the back of the livebox to pair it to your ps3 then select test connection
on the ps3 and thats all there is to it , ive also got a wii and a xbox 360
connected to it as well (ps mines about 2 metres apart to):thumbsup:

Mine's in another room about 6 meters away and works great :) it's in the front bedroom upstairs and i can sit in the back garden on my laptop and still surf the internet. I love wireless connections (when they work!) :)

Excellent cheers. They're only going to be about two meters or so away anyway! But really I'd like to avoid yet another cable in my room...

So I don't need a router or anything? Just plug and play? :cool:

Your "Orange Live box" is a six way router !

hi
got mine connected to a orange livebox wirelessly and it works
a treat go through the set-up on the ps3 then press the inside button
on the back of the livebox to pair it to your ps3 then select test connection
on the ps3 and thats all there is to it , ive also got a wii and a xbox 360
connected to it as well (ps mines about 2 metres apart to):thumbsup:

Well you certainly make it sound very simple! I'm should be getting the PS3 later today so I will give the connection a test this week some time. Thanks for your help guys.

Well, turns out it wasn't that simple lol.

I'm currently suffering from... "An error occured during communication with the server. This is a DNS error. (80710102)"

The "Obtain IP Address" part goes through fine.

I have done ipconfig and entered the DNS it shows (primary = 192.168.1.1, secondary = none) - FAIL

I then got into the router through IE and found two DNS address under the ADSL heading - FAIL

I then found a different access point IP under Dynamic DNS so tried that as my router IP on the PS3, and changed the DNS back to 192.168.1.1 - FAIL

I have also tried everything on DHCP (Enable DHCP server is ticked on my router!) - FAIL

I searched google for lots of links, none of which have helped. Some say to change the DNS in the router settings but I can't see how to, and tbh I don't wanna muck around with it too much. Any ideas lads!? Driving me mad!

Last edited:
Is the livebox security set to WEP only?

Try unplugging your livebox for a couple of mins then try again.

I assume you took the easy setup option on the PS3?

If it still doesn't work try changing the DNS addresses on your router to 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.202.202. Edit - Just noticed you didn't want to change the DNS settings, I can't really remeber the settings of mine but can have a look tonight if you've still got no joy.

My livebox is set to WEP. I tried getting a connection selecting no encryption on the PS3 (just to try it out, thought it would be easier!) but I guess it might not be authenticating because the router is looking for the WEP key!? So I'm going to try entering my WEP at lunch see if it makes a difference...

After looking at some tutorials on youtube it seems most people use WEP and just DHCP everything else. When I used DHCP it didn't manage to obtain an IP address!

Anyway I'll update this thread when I have tried the above.

You did press the pairing button on the livebox right? ONe of the lights on top starts flashing and lasts for 10 mins by default I think so need to do the ps3 setup bit during that time

Last edited:
I have my PS3 connected to the Orange Livebox as well. No problems with connection but are you guys getting more lags/disconnections lately? Been playing Rainbow Six Vegas 2 online for months now and lately, whenever there are > 6 players in my hosted game, all the players would be dropped out within a few minutes. Also, sometimes I get kicked out of games that I join in within 1-2 mins and I suspect it's due to me bringing lag with my entry.
I am wondering what the issue is as I used to get seamless play even with 14 players in my game. Any thoughts?

You did press the pairing button on the livebox right? ONe of the lights on top starts flashing and lasts for 10 mins by default I think so need to do the ps3 setup bit during that time

Yes I think so, it's the bit on the back with 1 & 2 and a USB port underneath right? I pressed number 1 a couple of times during trying to get it all working!

Thats it, can't actually remember which button it is but like I say one of the lights will start blinking slowly, so I'd say try setting the router to WEP only security, unplug it to reset it, push the button and do the PS3 network setup before the light stops blinking, you can change the pairing time if its set to a short amount of time for some reason.

I have my PS3 connected to the Orange Livebox as well. No problems with connection but are you guys getting more lags/disconnections lately? Been playing Rainbow Six Vegas 2 online for months now and lately, whenever there are > 6 players in my hosted game, all the players would be dropped out within a few minutes. Also, sometimes I get kicked out of games that I join in within 1-2 mins and I suspect it's due to me bringing lag with my entry.
I am wondering what the issue is as I used to get seamless play even with 14 players in my game. Any thoughts?

Sorry I haven't actually played anything multiplayer online so can't comment on it.

Solved!

I entered my WEP key and DHCP'd everything else and it obtained an IP this way this time and all went through okay! I downloaded and installed the latest updates for when I get home...

Only other thing, I've been recommended to change my SSID because if I leave it as Livebox then someone could hack into it more easily. Shall I do that or just change the router username and password away from the default (I should probably do this anyway)

Glad its sorted now :D

I wouldn't be bothered about changing the SSID, I'd advise changing the admin password though :)

Yeah I may well do!

Have another thanks for your imput :hiya:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom