1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting coax out into Amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by coscast, Apr 24, 2003.

1. coscast

coscast

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I apologise if this is a silly question.

My DVD player has a coax output which I would like to use as the input to my amp. However, the amp does not coax in - it has each individual channel as a separate input. Is there any kit I can acquire that will convert the coax to the separate inputs.

Thanks for you time.

Mark

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What amp is it?

If it's got a 5.1 input you could use a DD processor - say a Denon AVD-2000.

3. coscast

coscast

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply.

It's part of a Technics SC-EH760 system - the input is 5.1 (6 phono connectors). Is that workable?

Regards,

Mark

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To get Dolby Digital then you'll need a Dolby Digital decoder. I've got a Harmon/Kardon ADP-303.

It's got 1 optical, 1 coaxial input (plus RF for laserdisc) Decodes stereo PCM, Dolby Digital (5.1) , has a 5.1 input direct bypass.

Will sell, I can but a classified thread if you want.

Here's a link...

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/testbench/Processors/HarmanKardon/HarmanKardonADP303.shtml

Take the digital out into into the Harmon, then take six phono's from the Harmon into the 5.1 input on the Technics. When you watch a DD DVD, press the 5.1 input..

What DVD player have you got? if it's got a Dolby Digital decoder built-in you don't need the above Harmon.

5. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    If your want to keep your existing amp, then you might be better changing your DVD player to one with onboard DD and DTS decoders. There are fewer of these around though, but the Panasonic RA82, or Pioneer DV-656A are examples. These will connect to your amp with separate phono connections for DD 5.1, and DTS 5.1. However, at around £300 for these, thats a nice 'wedge' towards a new AV amp, and keep your existing player!... Every move in AV costs ££££, so why not just go for an even better spec amp with 7.1? :smoke:

6. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    [​IMG]

;) :D

7. coscast

coscast

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies.

The DVD does decode DTS.

I'm currently listening to pro logic via the 2 phono outputs from the DVD. To get DTS I need to utilise the coax out, which, unfortunately, my amp won't take as it has the 6 phono inputs.

DVD is a Philips 622.

Regards,

Mark

8. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It would seem that your two existing parts (DVDplayer + amp) do not, and can not, make a whole 5.1 set-up. pro-logic out to two speakers is not it.

To play DVDs into 5.1 Dolby Digital or DTS you need the following elements:

1) transport (picking up digital signal from DVD)
    2) digital/analogue processor (decoding digital signal into 5.1 'analogue' signal)
    3) amplifier, with one amplifier for each of the 5.1 channels
    4) speakers (left/right front + centre front + left/right surround (rear), with subwoofer, the .1)

You do need all four elements, though it is possible to buy components that incorporate more than one:

eg1: non-entry model DVDplayer (eg. Tosh SD510) has transport + 5.1 decoder

- your DVDplayer (like others, eg much liked ToshSD220) is really only a transport as far as 5.1 is concerned - though as you state it can extract a stereo analogue signal.

eg2: AVamp/receiver (of which many examples) has digital/analogue processor + one amplifier for each of the 5.1 channels

- your amp, it would seem, is really only one amplifier for each of the 5.1 channels

So you must either buy a dedicated processor (eg Yamaha E800 or the Harmon mentioned above) of which there are some about s/h, or else upgrade one of your existing components - again you could do so s/h. I'm not ready to sell my Tosh SD510, but others have been. There are also s/h AVamp/receivers for sale.

Hope this helps.

ditton