getting cabinets made for you - any recommendations?

Discussion in 'AV Stands, Cabinets, Seating & Furniture' started by richard plumb, Dec 28, 2006.

1. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    So the wife has decided we're getting the lounge redone. Part of that is she wants low units either side of the chimney breast, with a gloss white finish. Can't find them anywhere, so was thinking of perhaps getting some carcasses made and using kitchen doors or similar.

any suggestions or is it just a case of whacking together some measurements and talking to a friendly carpenter?

Any idea where to look for non-standard kinds of cabinets (i.e gloss white, around 100cm wide by amp+DVD player+ skybox high)

The left of the two cabinets is likely to have all my AV stuff in it, so will be quite crowded. I was thinking of just having one big opening (or perhaps one vertical divider) and then cutting slots at the top for ventilation. Sound alright?

2. mralsal

mralsal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I build AV units. Can build to your own spec and in any colour and finish you want. Can send you photos of units done. Might be able to suggest ideas I have used on units before that you might find will be what you are looking for. If interested contact me on private message.

3. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,917
    i used www.jali.co.uk

another member of the forum used them for AV cabinets and said they had quite a few requests for them so took into accomodation vents etc and put them in for him,

you can download the designer and have a play with it

4. pemberto

pemberto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
  5. CaptainCook

CaptainCook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Hi,

Not sure if Shahedz was referring to me directly, but here is a thread in which I used Jali to build some made-to-measure units for either side of a false fireplace.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402857

Software was easy to use and they will further customise your design on request. Can't recommend them highly enough.

CaptainCook

6. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    thanks for all the feedback. I've gone with IKEA cabinets in the end as they were the only ones I could find with glossy doors. Although at only 40cm deep I might have to work something out for my receiver.

Hopefully the measurements are pretty close to the size I need, then I hope to blend them into a false front on the chimney breast. I'll have a word with the builder that'll knock down my fireplace and see what he recommends.

This is all supposed to wait until March when the missus is away for a few weeks, but most of the stuff is here and I'm itching to get going