Getting BT Infinity, Leaving Sky, what TV options best?

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fibre has just reached my road, so I want to switch from Sky TV to cheaper alternatives. I don't expect to end up with everything I currently have, I just want some decent options.

I have an Xbox One I can use. I also have Amazon Prime which I can try (might cancel once the price goes up).
I plan to get the US version of Netflix.
I also have a Dune box and plan to record a load of children's movies and series to that, so they can watch them a lot.

If I go with BT (as opposed to Plusnet or something) I'll get BT Sport. I could also get BT TV (and their youview+ box) for £7/month + £3 for HD - but that seems like a fair bit to pay for a few channels (like comedy central and fox) - would I need those if I had Netflix?

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Cheers

I use a NowTV (from sky) box with £5 a month entertainment package, this has Game of Thrones! Also amazon prime via my HPTC, along with iplayer and freeviewHD with PVR this is a lot of TV at not much cost.

I use a NowTV (from sky) box with £5 a month entertainment package, this has Game of Thrones! Also amazon prime via my HPTC, along with iplayer and freeviewHD with PVR this is a lot of TV at not much cost.
Thanks for the reply. I had a look at NowTV - I like the price and the content. Reading on here about it suggests the quality isn't that great (does it have DD or DTS?). But can you not record programs for later viewing?

TV with BT is a couple of pounds more, but you can series link things, record 2 at once etc (like Sky). If I don't need BT's TV, I'll get fibre from Plusnet. Just need to find what TV alternatives there are.

Thanks for the reply. I had a look at NowTV - I like the price and the content. Reading on here about it suggests the quality isn't that great (does it have DD or DTS?). But can you not record programs for later viewing?

TV with BT is a couple of pounds more, but you can series link things, record 2 at once etc (like Sky). If I don't need BT's TV, I'll get fibre from Plusnet. Just need to find what TV alternatives there are.

I'm watching game of thrones and find quality ok, sky never does dts. You don't need to record things, its not live its catch up tv you watch things when you want.

I'm watching game of thrones and find quality ok, sky never does dts.
No, but it does DD - does NowTV?
You don't need to record things, its not live its catch up tv you watch things when you want.
I guess what I don't understand is... how long are the things available for? So if you decide to start watching a series, how long do you have to watch it?

Thanks

No DD I think, catch up series on there as long as that series is, new episodes are 30 days. So at moment can watch any of game of thrones s1-3 and any of s4 from last 30 days.

Seems like a Roku 3 HD, with subscriptions fron NetflixUS, NowTV and BT Sport would get us most of what we want. No DD on some entertainment channels, but it will be on movies.

So if we went with that, we couldn't record TV - because the idea is you stream it when you want, right? So...

Are all the programs that are live on the main channels, also available to stream (then and later), or are some things only available live?

You don't need to record things, its not live its catch up tv you watch things when you want.
1hm5knw
I get that for Netflix, and using the Roku - but some things you want recorded, and don't want to lose when they remove it from their catologue - particularly things for the kids, that they watch over and over.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom