Getting blue screen daily!

Sandy13

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys, My PC is shutting down on a daily basis, and I'm getting a blue screen. I have tried all the basic diagnostics without success, any recommendations?
It's about 6 months old, HP Pavilion MC M7755.

Few questions for you.

How and when does the blue screen occur, is it only applicable to one application.
Have you installed new hardware
Have you overclocked your cpu/gpu
Have you installed new software, video encoding etc and on this software have you set the priority to High or something like that.
Have you checked your temperatures and monitored them during activities to ensure no overtemping is occuring.
Are your fans working correctly.

Thats one of the tell tale signs of an MS operating system being installed on the computer :rotfl:

I'd run the normal stuff, virus scan, scan disk, defrag, check for start up programs and if all fails back up and clean install. Also if you're still on the same install that came with the machine, in my experiance they tend to be pumped full of rubbish which doesnt help. I got bluescreens within a week of getting my laptop, put up with it for a bit and then they got worse, reinstalled and still havent had any a few months on :)

Few questions for you.

How and when does the blue screen occur, is it only applicable to one application.
Have you installed new hardware
Have you overclocked your cpu/gpu
Have you installed new software, video encoding etc and on this software have you set the priority to High or something like that.
Have you checked your temperatures and monitored them during activities to ensure no overtemping is occuring.
Are your fans working correctly.

The blue screen happens whatever I'm doing, usually this time of day, I've been online since about 10am, that's normal. It actually happened since my first, and this post.

The only new hardware lately is my Monitor, Samsung 2232.

I don't even understand 'overclocking'

Any software I installed lately, I have removed one by one to check.

How do I check temps, or monitor them?

Fans are working.

Thanks for your interest.

Thats one of the tell tale signs of an MS operating system being installed on the computer :rotfl:

I'd run the normal stuff, virus scan, scan disk, defrag, check for start up programs and if all fails back up and clean install. Also if you're still on the same install that came with the machine, in my experiance they tend to be pumped full of rubbish which doesnt help. I got bluescreens within a week of getting my laptop, put up with it for a bit and then they got worse, reinstalled and still havent had any a few months on :)

Do you mean to use the recovery disc I made when the machine was new?

You need to check exactly what the blue screen error is reporting, it usually tells you what file caused the crash. Check what file it reports, if it's a driver of some kind then you could upgrade to a newer version of the driver, or even rollback to an older version, and see if this fixes it.

You need to check exactly what the blue screen error is reporting, it usually tells you what file caused the crash. Check what file it reports, if it's a driver of some kind then you could upgrade to a newer version of the driver, or even rollback to an older version, and see if this fixes it.

I think I should have said, :suicide: the blue screen message stated, 'Problem caused by a hard disk drive error' sorry guys.

if you go into your bios screen. Hit del at start up. usually there is a menu there for pc health/monitoring etc go into that and it should state your current temps for cpu and system.

How old is your system. Do you know the specs of it.

Has your comp been knocked over. You may require a fresh install of your OS. I had an old pc that used to display the same message and it happened when i was encoding xvid files to DVD format. I did a fresh install and everything was ok.

It was built about 8 months ago, I bought it new at Xmas. The specs;

Core 2 Duo E6600 (C) DC 2.4 GHz.

Intel 945G

Memory 2 GB

No, it hasn't had any knocks.

Am i right in thinking you are running Vista? If so, if you insert the OS disc: At the bottom of the installation screen there is an option for repair, click on that and follow the instructions. you may have a bad sector or missing one in the os hdd. Hopefully this should cure as I have used the Vista repair on occassions and it has always sorted probs out for me.

I didn't have any disc supplied, the only ones I have is what I made myself, which are recovery discs. Yes, it is Vista I'm running.

That blue screen error sounds ominously like a hard disk hardware failure, if a repair doesn't cure the problem you'll probably have to replace the hard disk.

I didn't have any disc supplied, the only ones I have is what I made myself, which are recovery discs. Yes, it is Vista I'm running.

I had a HP laptop once and the recovery discs that were supplied with it completely wipe your hard drive and do a fresh install as if it was a new laptop that you switched on for the first time.

what size HDD do you have. It may be worth purchasing another HDD, even an external USB one so as not to break the warranty seal, backing up files you wish to keep on the new HDD before running the recovery discs, or you may come unstuck and lose a lot of valuable data.

There is a 600gb hard drive in it, I also have a 300gb external unused. I have just contacted HP regarding the problem, as it's still under warranty.

There is a 600gb hard drive in it, I also have a 300gb external unused. I have just contacted HP regarding the problem, as it's still under warranty.

If your files can be moved over to the 300gb one that you have you can try a recovery to see if that works.

If you pop the recovery disc in it may give you an option for repair. Wouldn't hurt to try.

Good luck anyway and hope you get it sorted soon ;)

Thought I'd update you guys who helped me with my problem. The outcome after going through various tests with HP was, that I had 'corrupted core operating system files' and the only option was a system restore, which I did, and since then had no further grief. Thanks to all who contributed to this thread:thumbsup:

Before switching to a Mac Mini Media Centre (which saved my sanity) I had an MCE 2005 HTPC which used to crash when my EPG updated.

As you said it happens at the same time everyday maybe it could be this or some other automated update?

Hi,
If you go to c:\windows\minidump there should be some "crash dump" files, if you have them and you want to send me them i will be able to take a look and hopefully tell you what you are getting a bluescreen becasue of.

Basically the "crash dump" files a files which store the data which you see when you get the blue screen and also make it possible to debug them and read the cause of the bluescreen. If you do not have and .dmp files in the directory or even have the directory it means that your computer does not have the option ticked, if this is the case let me know and i will tell you how to enable this option.

:)

Before switching to a Mac Mini Media Centre (which saved my sanity) I had an MCE 2005 HTPC which used to crash when my EPG updated.

As you said it happens at the same time everyday maybe it could be this or some other automated update?

Hi,
If you go to c:\windows\minidump there should be some "crash dump" files, if you have them and you want to send me them i will be able to take a look and hopefully tell you what you are getting a bluescreen becasue of.

Basically the "crash dump" files a files which store the data which you see when you get the blue screen and also make it possible to debug them and read the cause of the bluescreen. If you do not have and .dmp files in the directory or even have the directory it means that your computer does not have the option ticked, if this is the case let me know and i will tell you how to enable this option.

:)

Thanks for help guys, but as I said in post #18, I have done a system restore and all is well now, so far that is:smashin:

Ok well thats good news, if you ever find you get Bluescreens again just give me a shout and try and help ya out,

J

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom