Getting back to AV

UTT

Standard Member
Thanks! Looking forward to it.

I've got dangerously sidetracked onto stereo amps now... It's a slippery slope!

Currently thinking I'll aim for a pre/power setup, with the Yamaha and stereo pre-amp switched at the power amp input. Easy enough to do in stages.

I'll start out by running it into the Rotel's aux input, but I'm expecting the Rotel to struggle driving the Q55.2s in this room anyway - and even allowing that Rotel's power figures are likely a good deal more conservative than Yamaha's there's going to be a significant mismatch between 30W on the front channels and 70/80W on the surrounds.

martin 39

Not sure if this helps but i have ran a arcam avr 400 for yrs now. No 4k atmos etc but has hdmi switching dts ma and true hd and sounds great for music and film. I got rid of my separate roksan and denon system for this and still happy now they can be picked up at a good price now a great amp for the money

UTT

Standard Member
Well, got caught looking at amps on eBay earlier... and still slightly shocked that I've been given the green light to upgrade the stereo amp. So, Rotel pre and power amps on the way. Nothing that's going to get anyone on here hugely excited, but it should be a significant step up from what I currently have.

The power amp is six channel, so I've got a few options there - I could just use two of then for the front channels, bridge two pairs, or bi-amp them. Then I can either leave the Yamaha running the centre channel it run that through the Rotel with the same options. Playtime! 🙂

I've only catered for a single channel to each speaker when I ran the wires, but I left the front overhead channels long enough to reach the front in case I ever installed up firing ATMOS speakers. So I could use them to bi-amp. Not sure if I can manage a second channel for the centre without joining wires in the loft - not ideal, but not the end of the world either.

The more I look at the shape of the ceiling in this room the more dubious I am that ATMOS would work in it anyway - pretty certain four overhead channels in the right places is a no go, not sure if two would work - and as I've allowed for 7.x.4 even if I use three of the channels I ran for potential future ATMOS use I'd still have enough for either 7.x or 5.x.2.

Think I need to post some diagrams of the room and figure out what would and wouldn't work.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q800A Soundbar & Rotel Michi X3 Reviews + TV show and Movie News & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom