1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting back on XBOX Live - help please

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by dUnKle, Feb 15, 2005.

1. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,325
    Ok - I was banned from XBOX Live upon trying to play Halo 2 on my chipped X Box

The chip was OFF but I also have a larger newer HD installed and this seemed to be the problem

Oh well I thought - never mind, as I never really used Live anyway

However no with there being some games coming oit im interested in I want to get back on board so to speak

I was going to get a brand new XBox but thought I would see what happens when i put my old HD back into my XBOX

There are still problems, but does not seem to be the same as before - its now telling me it can not connect to XBOX Live and also that my acoount needs to be retrieved (but cant be as it cant connect)

Is it possible that there is just a fault - or is the BOX still banned even though old HD is put back in ?

2. colesy

colesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    When they ban your xbox from live they actualy ban the EEPROM.
    The only way around this to get a new eprom code from an non-banned xbox.

Have a look HERE for some info, or check out xbox scene.

3. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,325

oh bugger :(

so even though for all intents and purposes my XBOX is vanilla so to speak its still banned ?

looks like ill o for a 2nd box then

4. colesy

colesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Well even if you do get another EEPROM code (which some people have managed to get off an old xbox or buy a code over the interent for less than £10) it is likey you will be banned again using the new code if you are using halo2.

You could continue to use your banned xbox for whatever you like apart from live and just get a new xbox and then soft mod that if you want things like progressive scan capabilities and still use that on live.

5. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    yeah you need to swap both the HD & the EEPROM so that Live thinks that it's a brand new box.

6. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,325

so there is no way of getting the eprom back that refers to my normal bog standard HD ?

7. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    The eeprom is a chip in your X-Box that contains read only information and I assume that you have the same one in that was there when you bought the box.

The theory goes as follows: when you subscribe to Live, M$ aquire the serial number of your HD and your EEPROM via your online connection. A marriage of the 2 serials is formed so that if you swap your HD at a later date the marriage is broken and your eeprom is banned. If you replace the eeprom and the HD then essentially you have a brand new box (as far as Live is concerned).

8. smokingreen

smokingreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I think in your situation, even if you put your old hard drive in with a new eeprom, it would still see that your hard drive had been used before and reban your newly bought eeprom.

I have looked into this, it is defintley possible, but with all the hassle I concluded that a new xbox for live was the simplest answer.

If you wanted a second modded box, make sure you mod it before you go on live and there will be no problems.

9. DarkEntity

DarkEntity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    ive had my chipped xbox online with no problems, :)

all i did was put the old 10gig hdd back in. basically what live checks for is an enabled chip, and the size of your hard disk partitions as far as im aware.

so put your original drive (untouched) back in machine switch chip off and wayhay.

10. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    Nope - this doesn't affact it. I go on with a 120gb one. The most plausable reason for banning is the "marriage" theory that I highlighted earlier.

11. thecheekymonkey

thecheekymonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    only real way to get back on live is to either change eerpom on xbox for a new one (making sure you unlock the hdd before changin eerpom) and getting a new hdd

as others have pointed out, the way that MS know youve modded your xbox is because the epprom and hd serial have changed.

or just getting a new xbox

there are other ways, but this would be the easiest

12. Waser

Waser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I know quite a lot about this one because it happened to me. Basically you are screwed if you go on live change your EEPROM or your HDD and go on to live again. I connected to the the live service when I bought my Xbox years ago. Then I modded it and had the HDD upgraded. Everything was sweet because I had a dual boot install until the Halo2 update. This introduced a check for those that have connected with a different HDD seriel no against a different EEPROM. Hence I got booted. :suicide:

If you are kicked off live for this there is no way back apart from reinstalling your first HDD. No amount of EEPROM flashes will fix this. Believe me I have tried.

However if you install a new HDD in your Xbox then go on live for the first time you should not get banned as the initial logging of your HDD seriel no and the EEPROM would be done against your first/current setup. So you should not get banned.

My solution was to buy a second Xbox for Xbox Live. :cool:

p.s. Just to be clear MS logs the initial HDD serial no and the EEPROM and then verifies against this data everytime you log on to Live. If your data appears different (i.e. after a HDD upgrade) when connecting then they will ban your gamertag. :lesson:

13. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just a quick question as I've only just bought an XBox, my modchip is on it's way and Halo 2 was one of the games I was gonna buy. If you rip the Halo 2 game to the HDD before playing it, then play exclusively from the HDD, does it bypass the update that would normally be installed? Or is the update auto-install the first time the disc is loaded?

14. Waser

Waser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    It is my understanding that in order to go online with Halo 2 the latest Live update is mandatory. MS have used the big selling Halo 2 to ban as many modders as possible.

But your situation is a little different. Have you already been online onto Xbox live? Have you upgraded your HDD to a different one? Did you go on Live before with your old HDD (if you upgraded)? These are the questions you need to ask. It is my understanding that a simple mod chip that you can switch off will not lead to a ban. **But don't quote me on that**

http://forums.xbox-scene.com

Is really the best forum to ask these questions. You can probably find someone that has already posted with your exact situation.

15. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    When playing on live you need the original game - hence it must be run from DVD. The bios must be the original MS bios so your modchip must be turned off. However there are other ways to get banned. Waser missed the important one, HDD serial code and EEPROM matching. This is where the serial number of your hard drive is matched to your xbox serial number when you first go on Live. If these become separated (change the hard drive) and go on live again, then these serial numbers are no longer matched and you get banned.

Thus, to go on live, you need your modchip turned off, an original game AND (an original hard drive OR a larger drive so long as you didnt go on Live with the original hard drive).

Hope that makes sense.

16. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    see post 7 :thumbsup:

17. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Apologies! :p I read on and it appeared he still had not got an answer so I added to Wasers response. Didnt mean to step on toes ;)

18. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    No probs :thumbsup: . I'm sure that the marriage theory is correct though - my experience definately seems to fit with it.