Getting back into it!

was having a bit of a look back through my library last night and been fancying playing Destiny again for a while so fired it up and my how it's changed! Still had my old character (only level 14 warlock) but felt like after the game had tried to show me what's new, it wanted to put me through all the lower level quests again.

So... where's the best place to start to get back into this? Am I best starting over with a new character? Should I get the collection version so I have all the new dlc as I believe they improve the base game a lot?

silvercue

Distinguished Member
If you want to put some time in I would get the one with the DLC as it adds a whole lot. A lot of new players have started playing since the Destiny 2 reveal, so should find plenty to group with.

If you only have limited game time then Destiny 2 is out in September

ibrox_grfc

Distinguished Member
Probably best to wait until Destiny 2 as you'd have too much to get through and might struggle to get groups to raid with unless you don't mind playing with randoms from LFG sites.

Basically the guardians (our characters) live in the tower on earth and all of our gear is stored there too. The guardians get their powers from the Traveller. In D2 the Cabal destroy the tower and all of our stuff and the Traveller loses the ability to give us our powers , so everybody has to start all over again

Slasher2McGurk

You've got 3 months to wait till destiny 2 so for £30 to buy the collection edition I think its worth it. Just have fun.
You should get a level 40 booster to make things easier and when your ready ill get @DARKDANCERUK to teach you the raids lol

Can get it for £24 at Tesco.

Does it do enough with all the expansions to greatly improve on the base game (i.e. in the way The Divisions expansions did)?

I like the base game enough at the moment (though starting it up again, I'm confused as anything with what to do etc), but I dont want to be missing out on an even better experience.

I'm not THAT fussed for Destiny 2 at the moment until I give the first some more time.

Took the plunge and (eventually! Dat PS4 install...) got back up and running last night.

Maybe placebo effect, but I was seeing TONNES of stuff I've never seen in Destiny before. All felt much more alive and connected. So many things to do and collect etc and definitely new baddies to fight even at the early levels (they were like Ghosts? Not the little robots, but like actual spirits?)

Didnt do any of the free level boosts, would rather grind it out. I'm level 19/20 I think, so I'm happy to plod along with the story for now instead of being overpowered.

silvercue

Distinguished Member
.....and definitely new baddies to fight even at the early levels (they were like Ghosts? Not the little robots, but like actual spirits?)
they are The Taken, introduced in DLC, there is a whole story behind them.

they are The Taken, introduced in DLC, there is a whole story behind them.

Ah feels a bit of a mess them just appearing then as I guess there are some chapters introducing them?

Meh, its still fun :)

CaptnSpaulding

I'm in the exact same position. I completed the original when I bought the Limited Edition. I was put out that I HAD to buy the expansion in order to continue playing so I didn't bother as I felt 'conned' for spending £80 and only got £4 trade in.
Anyway, I'm exited for the sequel so I bought the Collection and my 2 boys bought a copy too so we could play together.
To me, it also feels a bit of a mess as new enemies just appeared when playing through the original story with my boys. Also all these new things such as Gunsmith Marks to buy weapons and some Vanguard things in the inventory you can consume - but unsure if I should and if they are required elsewhere etc!? I also had Exotic armour for my Warlock, however it's now less powered than some green armour I pick up - should I just dismantle my armour and start new? I can't see any guides in the game on the new items and I'm a bit of a headless chicken at the moment to be honest!

Sorry to hijack but as we're in the same boat thought any answers would help!? :)

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
I'm in the exact same position. I completed the original when I bought the Limited Edition. I was put out that I HAD to buy the expansion in order to continue playing so I didn't bother as I felt 'conned' for spending £80 and only got £4 trade in.
Anyway, I'm exited for the sequel so I bought the Collection and my 2 boys bought a copy too so we could play together.
To me, it also feels a bit of a mess as new enemies just appeared when playing through the original story with my boys. Also all these new things such as Gunsmith Marks to buy weapons and some Vanguard things in the inventory you can consume - but unsure if I should and if they are required elsewhere etc!? I also had Exotic armour for my Warlock, however it's now less powered than some green armour I pick up - should I just dismantle my armour and start new? I can't see any guides in the game on the new items and I'm a bit of a headless chicken at the moment to be honest!

Sorry to hijack but as we're in the same boat thought any answers would help!? :)
returningplayers - DestinyTheGame

Yea I'm feeling the same, but just going with the madness and really enjoying the game alot. Its my main game at the mo across PC, PS4, Switch and Vita, so thats something!

I bought the official guide, but obviously thats a fair bit out of date, but has some good info for the basics in.

I'm gonna check out that 'returning players' reddit link tho!

CaptnSpaulding

I spotted you online actually last night, if you need help there is a lot of experience on here - questions as well as helping out
Trying to get my head around this light thing at the minute and pondering if I should discard my exotics and start look for new or visit xur to upgrade them. Can't remember my armour name, but the gun I have is 'Bad JuJu'. I think it was highly rated originally - don't know if it's any good upgraded now.
Finally worked out where your 'missions' are so can see what I need to do now to earn stuff - previously you had to go get missions from a guy in the tower and I think they were bounties!?. Seems you can get them from more people now which is good.
Enjoying the return so far! :)

silvercue

Distinguished Member
Trying to get my head around this light thing at the minute and pondering if I should discard my exotics and start look for new or visit xur to upgrade them. Can't remember my armour name, but the gun I have is 'Bad JuJu'. I think it was highly rated originally - don't know if it's any good upgraded now.
Finally worked out where your 'missions' are so can see what I need to do now to earn stuff - previously you had to go get missions from a guy in the tower and I think they were bounties!?. Seems you can get them from more people now which is good.
Enjoying the return so far! :)
Bad JuJu is good.

Light is just a strange way of doing level progression. Worth buying from XUR if you don't have many exotics, Somme are obviously better than others.

If you need a year 2 Bad JuJu there is a kiosk you can get one from if you have the year one one. Then when you get a primary at a high light level you can infuse that into Bad JuJu (or any other legendary or exotic) to increase it's level to that of the item you used - this is very useful.

CaptnSpaulding

Bad JuJu is good.

Light is just a strange way of doing level progression. Worth buying from XUR if you don't have many exotics, Somme are obviously better than others.

If you need a year 2 Bad JuJu there is a kiosk you can get one from if you have the year one one. Then when you get a primary at a high light level you can infuse that into Bad JuJu (or any other legendary or exotic) to increase it's level to that of the item you used - this is very useful.
I'll have to read more into this infusion thing as I've seen it a lot in my inventory but no idea how to do it. I have a load of these coloured things that can be infused or something - I'll leave them for now haha.
I take it Xur still only appears on certain days/times and you still have to scour the tower to find him? I also probably need to stock up on the different kind of currency to buy the good gear.

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
I'll have to read more into this infusion thing as I've seen it a lot in my inventory but no idea how to do it. I have a load of these coloured things that can be infused or something - I'll leave them for now haha.
I take it Xur still only appears on certain days/times and you still have to scour the tower to find him? I also probably need to stock up on the different kind of currency to buy the good gear.
He's there now, by the Speaker (which is spawn in the tower and turn left through the door and down the stairs.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom