1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting an MP3 Hifi

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Mervin, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Mervin

Mervin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm after a new sound system for my lounge. I cant be arsed with CD's anymore since I've been playing all my music off my PC for the last 6 months so what I'm after is a set up that will connect to my amp with all my tracks on it - some sort of hard drive based thingy that I can connect to my PC to download tracks onto it.

I was thinking of getting a new 4G 40Gb Ipod with an Apple remote but this is just gonna get damaged in my house!

Anyone got any better ideas? I thought of Airport Express and other wireless jobbies, but I want my entire library on my hifi without having to flick my PC on.

2. mxs

mxs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
  3. Mervin

Mervin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    The words MP3 and Hi-Fi should not be uttered in the same sentence. MP3 music distribution system maybe but definitely not Hi-Fi

5. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Well said that man.

6. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Just to add my tuppence worth into this debate, I recently tried a 56 track MP3 compilation burned at 320Kbps from ITunes onto a CDR and it sounded pretty hifi to me (Damned fine in fact – I struggled to find a difference between this and the original being truthful). This was via a Sony 355 £90 DVD-V player piped towards my DAC via a 10m DIY coaxial cable (normally used for Freeview FWIW).

Mind you I quite happy with 192Kbps Digital Radio via my DAC + Nokia Freeview box.

7. marcm

marcm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a look at a Sony HARL500 its a CD and hardisk player. Apparently you can get uto 100cds on it. Seen it for around £300

8. JonLeach

JonLeach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Mervin,
    Why not get a Slimdevices squeeze box for £150 lan or £200 wireless version, i have just added one to my system and pipe it through my meridian 606 DAC, cant really tell the difference between a cd and 320kbs as CJ has just said.

Jon

9. marcm

marcm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry should read
    Have a look at a Sony HARL500 its a CD and hardisk player. Apparently you can get uto 1000cds on it. Seen it for around £300