Getting all my components to work

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by AfroThunder, Jun 11, 2009.

1. AfroThunder

AfroThunder
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Guys
    This will be my first ever post so go easy!!. I need some help on seeting up my system..I am hoping to run everything through my computer I have a GeForce 8800 GTX with an Lg blu ray player at the moment this goes into my samsung 32" TV. I have a logitech Z5500 Digital PC speakers also plus a wii and an xbox....i am also hoping to get sky hd so i need to know how to put this all together so i can get a decent system...

Thanks very muchly
    LEO :thumbsup:

2. StevieBuck

StevieBuck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +674
    I'm not sure why you'd want to run everything through the PC?

You should have the PC's video output connected to the TV directly, as with all the other equipment such as your 360, Wii and Sky HD box (if you get one of course).

According to the logitech website, these speakers have 1 digital optical input, 1 digital coaxial input and 3 3.5mm stereo jacks. The xbox 360 console has an optical connection for 5.1 sound, so you should connect the 360 directly to the speakers with one of these cables.

Sky HD has both optical and coaxial outputs which can do 5.1 sound, but since the 360 will be connected to the optical input, you should use its digital coaxial connection. You will most likely have to buy an optical and digital coaxial cable separately, as I don't imagine these will be inlcuded with the speaker system.

The PC's soundcard should have several 3.5mm output connections which can be used to output surround sound. You should have 3 of these connected up to the 3.5mm stereo inputs on the speakers if you want 5.1 sound through the PC (i.e from DVDs/Blu-rays played through your BD drive).

At this point the only things you won't have connected to the speakers are the TV (say if you want to to watch analogue or digital TV with the audio through the speakers) and the Wii. According to the website, the only other connection available on the speakers seems to be a single 3.5mm stereo jack which is designed for inputting audio from something like an MP3 player (i.e by using a 3.5mm cable from the MP3's headphone socket). What you could do is connect the Wii to the TV as normal, then using the TV's phono outputs connect the TV to the stereo jack using a stereo phono to 3.5mm stereo convertor/cable. When using the Wii, the TV will pass the audio through to your speakers. The only issue with this is that you haven't stated the model of your TV, so I can't tell for certain if it even has analogue outputs.

3. AfroThunder

AfroThunder
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much you make everything seem alot clearer. My Tv is a Samsung series 4 LE32A456C2D hope that helps. Im also thinking I might sell these speakers becuase I cant find an av unit big enough to house the sub..you wouldn't know any that would, I have been looking everywhere..im looking for a black gloss colour.

If i was to sell these speakers what would be an alternative set of speakers Im looking to pay say £300 for a decent set.

Cheers

4. shanley

shanley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All. Newbie question (sorry!) Am trying to set up Sony HT SS100 with Bravia TV/PS3 & sk hd. I cannot get the surround sound working with the sky hd no matter if I connect it by hdmi or optical cable. Can anyone tell me how to fix this?? :lease:

5. StevieBuck

StevieBuck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +674
    Subwoofers should always be placed directly on the floor - not in an AV unit. Hence the reason you're struggling to find one big enough. I wouldn't sell the speakers because of this!

You'll probably get help with this issue if your create your own thread - not by randomly posting in someone else's.