1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting a TV signal to my H30.?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by lofty, Jun 1, 2004.

1. lofty

lofty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Sorry if I'm being a bit dim, but can anyone help me get a tv signal and/or sky to my H30?

I'm new to all this, and would like someone to explain my options to project TV, and how to do it(ie what cables/connectors I'll need etc)

My Dvd player is feeding my H30 via the supplied component adapter. I would like to watch occasional tv, or if possible Sky, on it.(without unplugging anything).
    As it will only be odd times when I want to do this, I'm happy to use the composite input on the H30.

OK. Ive got my pj in the loft, so running a standard tv ariel in is not a problem.
    My Sky is in my living room, so I guess this is a bit more tricky?(could I run some coax up to the loft?-and if so, is there a maximum cable run length?)

What would the ariel run into?,(a vcr???) and how would it connect via composite to the H30.?

Hope that makes sense. :confused:
    Please could any help be posted in a language that a 12 year old could understand. :rolleyes:
    Thanks in advance!

Cheers
    Lofty

2. ntslik

ntslik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    You can't use the component input from a vcr or sky (as neither output in component), you could get an adapter but this is not cheap (RGB to Component), £100 or so, firstly ignore the aerial, you can't do anything with that, and it's also no where near as good picture you need, simplest would be to run a composite (single yellow phono) from a scart adapter (often referred as scart to 3 phono) and input this to your projector, as your already feeding your DVD via component this way it will avoid having to change cables.

Might be a pain in the butt as the Sky's down stairs, so one other alternative is to either run a standard arial into a VCR (if you only want channels 1-5) or buy a Freeview box and use the scart to three phono adapter again.

Hope this helps

3. lofty

lofty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Neil

Thanks very much :smashin:

What hope do I have? I can't even spell aerial! :rolleyes:

Cheers
    Lofty.

4. alpha10

alpha10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Two other quick suggestions.

Buy a cheap wireless video sender and fire the sky upstairs

Get sky to do a second sub install in your loft, I know it's expensive but would be your best bet quality wise and give you freedom from anyone watching a different programme downstairs. (emmerdale Vs Euro 2004)

Cheers

5. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    "Buy a cheap wireless video sender and fire the sky upstairs"

Quality is not good enough. I tried this no where near acceptable. If its anything like my house too much distance, brick etc between the lounge and Loft.

Sky quality is bad as it is and any imperfections are even more apparent on such a big screen you dont need to make it any worse.

I am presuming the H30 dosnt have a scart socket. In any event running a cable that distance would certainly cause a loss of quality as well as looking bad on the outside of your house. I dont know what the inputs are on a H30 to be honest if its only got component, vga in terms of decent quality input you would have to look at a vga / component / scart converter + a scart switch as has already been suggested.

"Get sky to do a second sub install in your loft, I know it's expensive but would be your best bet quality wise and give you freedom from anyone watching a different programme downstairs. (emmerdale Vs Euro 2004)"

THis is what I did in the end. I got a second NTL box in the loft. Cost another £15 a month. Its only £3.75 per week and seing as a main reason for getting it was to watch the footy a small price to pay.

In reality I will probably leave it a couple of months, take out the card on the box, buy a second hand ntl box on ebay and have ntl take the second one away. It will probably cost me £50 for the ntl box off ebay but at least I wont have to pay the monthly subscription.

6. womble9

womble9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Lofty, did your H30 not come with a adaptor that allows a scart RGB to go into the VGA socket on the H30 as there's one mentioned in the brochure on their site. If it does then this would be your best bet if you can get a cable long enough and assuming (I've no idea on this one !) the length of it does not degrade the quality too much which I'm sure someone on here will be able to tell you.

7. womble9

womble9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Ooops silly me :suicide: , just seen on the Optoma site that the cable can be up to 20m long so assuming you route the cabe pretty directly / don't live in a seven story house :) you should be ok.

8. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    There is only a single VGA socket on the back of the H30, and that is already taken up with the VGA>Component adapter for his DVD player..

9. womble9

womble9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Oh I see, good point. How about he uses the s-video then or gets a scart switcher box with the output going to the H30.

10. MikeD

MikeD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've connected SKY, DVD & DMR into a manual SCART switcher using 0.75m SCART to SCART cables with all pins connected (important if you want to use RGB) then connected a single 10m SVGA cable to the H30, works a bloomin peach.

If you use this connection don't forget to enable RGB out on the SKY digibox and any other piece of AV equipment you connect if you want the best piccy.

I tried the composite connection using a reasonably expensive cable and didn't think it was bad until I used the SVGA cable.

RGB through the SVGA cable gave a pretty big improvement in the picture quality.

Regards, MikeD

11. lofty

lofty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your replies :smashin:

I was having a look at the "wireless video sending" options today and was planning to try one tomorrow, but reading what's been said here, it looks like that's a non-starter.

I really dont want to be trailing cables up the outside of my house, and routing them up into the loft internally will be a nightmare........not to mention the distance involved.

I'm not prepared to pay any more cash to Sky to have another box in the loft(as I think that 40 quid a month is enough to pay already)

I live in an area that cannot recieve Channel 5 or Freeview.

.....So I guess I'm left with Neil's first suggestion - another loft aerial into a vcr, then use a scart to three phono adapter.

And that will give me a grand total of 4 terrestrial channels. :zonked:

Oh well.

Thanks again, all.

Cheers
    Lofty.

12. BigB@dJ@y

BigB@dJ@y
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Why not drop your Sky package to the G1 package (basically you just lose movies 1,3,5..cinema 1 & 2) this cost £33. Then get a second subscription for £10 a month..total payment £43pm :D