1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting a Signal from a Thomson VTH-7090

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Tatterdemalion, Oct 25, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Tatterdemalion

Tatterdemalion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I took delivery of a brand new Thomson VTH-7090 video recorder yesterday.

So far, following exactly the same wiring pattern as is successful with my two other videos (a Ferguson and a Sony), which is to connect via a coaxial cable, I have not been able to get
    the signal to display on either of the two portable televisions I have tested it with or with the Hauppauge Win TV card in my PC.

In case there was a problem with the supplied coaxial cable I also tried some others with the same result.

My Hauppauge TV card has a small yellow video-only input that I believe may be for a "Cinch" cable. When I connected the VCR to this socket I *DID* get moving images but no sound.

I would like to know whether this indicates a likelihood that there could be a fault with the actual coaxial output jack on the unit or whether there is a greater probability that I have made an error or omission.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

2. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Are you using the standard black (comes with vid/tv) coax cable from back vid to back portables? If yes but no pic check outing correct frequency setting from vid setings menu, should be two to choose from.
    If you are using yellow comp cable for vid to tv check you've not got to set either a physical (i.e. av1/2 switch) or electric menu'd setting to enable comp out.
    As for the yellow cable port on tv card that you're getting pic from does indicate vid ok outing this, wouldn't expect sound as a general rule, universal, the yellow composite cable port is for video alone. The sound would need to be carried via a pair of phonos, or a single to double for stereo, or lone mono pinned cable depending on your ins and outs.
    Encaser

3. Tatterdemalion

Tatterdemalion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I appreciate your reply, Encaser.

>Are you using the standard black (comes with vid/tv) coax cable from >back vid to back portables?

Yes I am.

The manual instructs you to connect this AND a SCART. None of my
    display outlets allows a SCART in.

>If yes but no pic check outing correct frequency setting from vid >setings menu, should be two to choose from.

O.K. I'll have a hunt over the machine for a suitable physical switch
    that allows an "Enable Composite Out" selection.

Thanks for giving me this insight.

4. Tatterdemalion

Tatterdemalion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apparently the Thomson has no "PLL modulator" and so I will need a SCART adapter.