Getting a Sanyo Z2 cleaned

pc99

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi.

Anyone know where I might get a Sanyo Z2 cleaned for a reasonable price.

It has discolouration along all the edges of the display. It's interesting that this has only happened since replacing the bulb about 3 months ago.

I'm hoping if I get it cleaned it will last until Full HD projectors come down to around £1000.

I have taken the lid off and blasted it with a air compressor, but whilst clouds of dust flew in all directions, this didn't help with the discolouration.

I was thinking of trying to clean the panels with Isopropyl-alcohol on a cotton bud, but I'm not sure if that's where the staining is.

Or should I just cut my losses whilst and buy a Z5 before they sell out. Hopefully selling the Z2 for a couple of hundred (as it has a bulb with only 400 hours on it).

Any advice welcomed.

Hi mate

Discoluration sounds pretty serious....not sure how to solve that.

I purchased a Z5 the other day - you need to hurry because they are defo running out, my first order had to be cancelled because the store had none in stock and they told me that Sanyo was freezing production for a while.

Anyhow, the Z5 is truly awesome - since your model is a few generations old I'd say go for it, if your lucky you will find the Z5 for £650!

:thumbsup:

Further to my initial enquiry.

I might have a serious go at cleaning it myself. Depending on how easy it is to get at the panels without upsetting the convergence.

Does anyone have any experience with this, or ideally a copy of the service manual so I could take a look. I searched old posts but the links there are no longer working.

Any help greatly appreciated.

The discolouration might be dust on your panels..I've just stripped down a Sanyo PLC-SE20A after it developed purple shading round edges..The panels were to blame as they were coated in thick dust.. although I have cured the shading I now have convergence problems..

Thanks for the info.

I have already blasted it with a proper air compressor, not just a aerosol can, so I would've thought if it was dust it would''ve at least made a difference. I suppose the dust could be stuck on the panels.

I tried cleaning the panels of an older projector once before and spent ages getting the convergence even close. But I'm wondering if I can wipe the panels with a cotton bud without actually moving them.

I had to remove the panels because dust had actually got behind the panel...Not to say that this is the same problem you have Graham.

I frequently clean dust blobs of my z2 panels using an air duster can. So often in fact, I now don't even bother screwing the cover back on :rolleyes: (the PJs on a shelf). Thing is, they usually appear as discrete red, green & blue blurred circles (when showing a black image) which become sharp(er) when you adjust the focus (green being the really noticeable ones).

'Discolouration' sounds like a different problem to me...

Thanks for the info.

I have already blasted it with a proper air compressor, not just a aerosol can, so I would've thought if it was dust it would''ve at least made a difference. I suppose the dust could be stuck on the panels.

I tried cleaning the panels of an older projector once before and spent ages getting the convergence even close. But I'm wondering if I can wipe the panels with a cotton bud without actually moving them.

Dont know about the Z2 but the manual for my Z4 strictly forbids you to use air duster aerosols let alone something more industrial.

I think a proper compressor is far better than the aerosol cans, as it's more powerful and also it is pure air, so you don't have to worry about getting accelerant on anything.

However these marks must either be more stubborn stains or something else.

I think I will just cut my losses and get a Z5.

I might then have a go at stripping down the Z2 and if I make a mess I can always at least sell the bulb with only 400 odd hours on it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom