• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Getting a Receiver more Powerful than my Speakers

amardilo

Distinguished Member
Hi there. I want to get the new Onkyo TX-SR875 AV receiver so I can plug in all those enabled HDMI equipment I have and get Dolby True HD. But I am worried that the receiver is more powerful (can emit more watts per channel) than my speakers can handle.

I have a set of 7.1 Sony floor standing speakers (not great but still good for what I use them for) but the maximum output from my speakers is 100watts. I use to hear that I should always get an amp/receiver that is equal or less powerful than my speakers.

I don't play my music or films too loud and the current speakers I have are good enough for what I use them for and the receiver will blow all my AV savings so I can't afford to buy new speakers.

Would it be OK to buy this receiver and use it with my current speakers (and make sure I don't increase my volume to it's maximum)?

phil t

If it’s any help, my amp is rated at 250wpc and my speakers are rated at 70w. I’ve had the speakers for about three months and haven’t killed them yet. As long as you play it safe with the volume control, you should be fine. It is easier to damage a pair of speakers by driving them hard with an amp that is underpowered.

:)

amardilo

Distinguished Member
Thanks for your help guys.

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom