Getting a puppy/dog as a cat person

Yep ours is now fully crate trained, however some think this is cruel. My dog now loves his crate and often takes himself in there for a chill..
They're essential if you've got dogs with a size disparity too. I've got a Staffy and Imperial Shih Tzu. Despite my Staffy being fairly small (she's very slim and not bulked up like a lot are), and the Shih Tzu being on the larger side (for an IST anyway), there's still a huge difference in size. While my Staffy is the sweetest dog ever, they both get a little excited when playing and I don't want to take any chances with her squishing him (she'll get him between her paws on her back, and then roll on top of him playing) or being a bit rough. If no one is in the house or it's bed time, then they go in their own cages. Around 10pm or so they'll even take themselves to their cages, so they don't mind it.

For anyone considering cages, if you get a house cage the dog should be able to turn around and stretch out. It might also be worth considering small water bottle for the cage (they're like over grown rodent bottles - Amazon.co.uk : dog crate water bottle - clean link), especially if your house is quite warm. There should also be a comfy bed as well and stuff they can snuggle up in (heck - you may as well add a TV with full selection of streaming services, en suite, cage service, and decorated to a high standard). Just make sure it's not in direct sunlight or close to a radiator because they won't be able to get away from it.

Don't use it as a punishment either. They should associate it with something that's safe and that they'll go in because they need to, as opposed to a sin bin.

Please, please, please, don't put more than one dog in a cage either, even if there's room. I've seen the fallout and the vets bills from two dogs (brothers from same litter too) who had a disagreement stuck in the same cage alone in the house. Normally when dogs have a scrap, they'll eventually put distance between themselves or stop when the Alpha gets involved (Alphas in a pack will generally stop lower ranking members fighting so the pack stays unified and also sees the Alpha dominance). In a cage there's no escape, and it can end very badly.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I'm glad you've decided against having a puppy as your cat's are probably a bit to old to accept a noisy, bouncy disruptive pup in the house and may end up moving out.

Jack Russells, or any terrier type aren't often the best ones to have around cats as it's in their instinct to chase things. Having said that, I had a Jack who adored my cats but she was definitely the exception to the rule.

As I work with cats I have come across far too many owners who have introduced a Jack Russell into their home and it has made the cats' lives hell. They usually end up having to keep them separate with the cat living upstairs and the dog downstairs with a baby gate at the bottom of the stairs to stop the dog going up and tormenting the cat.
Yes, that would be awful and cruel, to both the cats and dog.

Locking a dog in a crate overnight can be nothing but cruel.
If a dog chooses to go in one though I am still puzzled as to why anyone would buy one in the first place is fine. :)
Not if it's for medical reasons. We were given ours but it turned out to be a Godsend. Even now she doesn't have to go in it she sometimes does voluntarily to sleep.

Not if it's for medical reasons.
I repeat had dogs, mainly German Shepherd's most of my life and never felt the need of a cage though to be honest they probably did not exist then anyway. But I stand by locking a dog in a cage is cruel and unnecessary.

I repeat had dogs, mainly German Shepherd's most of my life and never felt the need of a cage though to be honest they probably did not exist then anyway. But I stand by locking a dog in a cage is cruel and unnecessary.
So how would you keep an active Beagle from walking, climbing, jumping, or basically much movement at all to let a slipped disc heal naturally and avoid a very expensive operation? It's impossible without a cage. Her bed went in it and she could turn round. We took her out for periods. She cried if let alone though so had 6 weeks sleeping on the settee with a stiff neck.

Last edited:
I have had dogs all my life and I would think long and hard about this.
Jack Russels can be nippy and tend to think they are 10 feet tall.
They can be hard to train too.
The cage issue isn't an issue really. People think that its cruel but in fact the dog actually just thinks of it the same way dogs used to have kennels outside.
I've had them before and no issues at all.
Our current dog doesn't use one in the house any more but if i get it out to put it in the car she is eager to get in while I am setting it up. If you go down the cage route then start with one from day 1. Dont lock them away at first just put the bedding in.
Jack Russels can and do live a long time too. 15 years is not uncommon.

Beagles are great family dogs but do need a lot of exercise. Hard to train as they're stubborn dog .and can't always be let off the lead too as their sense of smell is second only to a bloodhound. They're used to find buried murder victims in the wilds of the US and Australia. So they pick up a a fox scent or see a cat and are off and then have selective hearing. Always after food too and can howl like a wolf when left alone.Ours used to chase squirrels up the trees in the park. Never caught one but came very close a few times! Only dare let her off when my daughter was alive. Seemed to return to her.

Last edited:
I hated the idea of a crate and still do as anything permanent. When our dog was a pup someone gave us a crate and surprisingly she decided to go in there to sleep during the day. The door was never shut except if I had to go out which I tried to do every other day to get her used to being alone. When I came home she was never in a hurry to come out. It was only used for about 2 or 3 months.

I hated the idea of a crate and still do as anything permanent. When our dog was a pup someone gave us a crate and surprisingly she decided to go in there to sleep during the day. The door was never shut except if I had to go out which I tried to do every other day to get her used to being alone. When I came home she was never in a hurry to come out. It was only used for about 2 or 3 months.
When my dog was a pup a friend lent me a crate, although it was more like a playpen as it didn't have a top to it. He absolutely hated it and would jump up and down screaming like a truculent toddler! I only put him him in it if I had to go out (never more than an hou and a half) in case he chewed something he shouldn't while I wasn't about.

When my dog was a pup a friend lent me a crate, although it was more like a playpen as it didn't have a top to it. He absolutely hated it and would jump up and down screaming like a truculent toddler! I only put him him in it if I had to go out (never more than an hou and a half) in case he chewed something he shouldn't while I wasn't about.
Yes chewing was the reason I used it too. I was terrified she would chew electric cables I’d forgotten about. As it turned out she has never chewed a single thing except what she’s given to chew. I am obviously very lucky with that!

Yes chewing was the reason I used it too. I was terrified she would chew electric cables I’d forgotten about. As it turned out she has never chewed a single thing except what she’s given to chew. I am obviously very lucky with that!
Yes, it was the electric cables I was worried about as well. He was also rather partial to wooden furniture and chewed the corner off a book case and a merchants chest!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom