Getting a puppy/dog as a cat person

The other thing to consider is other dog owners.
Yes. This is indeed something I've thought about. Hearing about dogs attack each other and the owners do nothing. I read of a couple of such attacks recently, round here, that seems terrifying.
Oh...and don't forget the consequences of when your dog invariably eats grass. It's like when a magician pulls bunting out of a top hat, but slightly messier.
:D :D :D

100% this

Dogs require training, well behaved dogs don't just happen it takes time and work and dedication and walking, you can't just have a cat flap and litter tray.
Your cats wouldn't welcome a bounding ball of energy and the pup wouldn't welcome a scratched nose/eye.
Jack Russells are feisty little buggers, brave and loyal and very intelligent and the brighter the dog the more training and attention it needs.
You're a cat person, stick with your cats and enjoy the company of other peoples well behaved dogs
Yes, I've decided it's a no after all. I'll wait until my cats 'go' first. Then I'll think about it. I just got caught up in the cute puppies, which is never a good thing.

Main difference is the training. If you’re used to cats pleasing themselves, as they tend to do, you might find some of the dog training quite “mean” by comparison. It’s not mean of course, but I have known some cat people who couldn’t (or just didn’t want to) understand even some of the most basic dog training.
Yep ours is now fully crate trained, however some think this is cruel. My dog now loves his crate and often takes himself in there for a chill..

Yep ours is now fully crate trained, however some think this is cruel. My dog now loves his crate and often takes himself in there for a chill..
We live between 2 houses (plus a tent a few times a year) and so the crate is a little home from home for Buffy.

Locking a dog in a crate overnight can be nothing but cruel.
If a dog chooses to go in one though I am still puzzled as to why anyone would buy one in the first place is fine. :)

I was always against crates and I thought people who used them just didn't know how to look after a dog properly.
However, after getting our Puggle as a pup, who ended up being a bit of a nightmare when it came to sleeping overnight, my wife mentioned it to a vet friend of ours and she suggested a crate.
We borrowed one off a friend, placed a towel over the top of it, popped a nice big bed in it with a cozy blanket and always left the door open; worked like a charm.
We placed his 'normal' bed to the side of it but he would occasionally choose the crate during the day for a bit of downtime.
We only used it for about 6 months and he's been fine ever since.

I was always against crates and I thought people who used them just didn't know how to look after a dog properly.
However, after getting our Puggle as a pup, who ended up being a bit of a nightmare when it came to sleeping overnight, my wife mentioned it to a vet friend of ours and she suggested a crate.
We borrowed one off a friend, placed a towel over the top of it, popped a nice big bed in it with a cozy blanket and always left the door open; worked like a charm.
We placed his 'normal' bed to the side of it but he would occasionally choose the crate during the day for a bit of downtime.
We only used it for about 6 months and he's been fine ever since.
Yeah, Buffy will often nip off to her crate to have a rest and some peace and quiet!

What does a crate do though? Just provide some security? Keeps them out of mischief? How do they go to the toilet?
Either in the crate if they're puppies and not house-trained or you lift them out every so often. Our 9 year-old Beagle had a spinal cord problem recently so couldn't walk properly. She's been in a crate for 6 weeks as vet said she mustn't walk or move much and no climbing. So a crate comes in handy if they're ill. Was either rest or 3 grand for an MRI scan then up to 10 grand for an op. Luckily she got better with the rest.

Yes, dogs can be expensive with vets bills unless you get it insured. Then again you're the excess to pay and they don't cover everything.

Hi SpacekSissy. You've to remember that a dog is for it's life, so up to 15 years about. It's a big commitment. My daughter got Evie, Beagle, in 2013 but she sadly passed away suddenly in 2018 aged 22. So we've to take her out daily which can get tying and not very nice in cold or snowy weather. She won't go when it's raining! Dogs get ill, tummy upsets etc so sometimes need vets.

The plus sides are unconditional love from him or her though. Very loyal too.

The downside having a Dog is having to pick up its s@it, Cats unfortunately use my garden to s@it in. Then I have to chuck it next door. :D

The downside having a Dog is having to pick up its s@it, Cats unfortunately use my garden to s@it in. Then I have to chuck it next door. :D
My cats have litter trays, so I'm used to picking up shit, daily, sometimes 4 times daily!

I used a crate for my dog during the first three months. I live on my own so it was really useful when I went out and he was getting used to his surroundings. I locked it when he worked out how to open it.

The first time I ever put him in it, I did everything I'd do if I was going out, opening and closing the front door etc. But then I quietly went into the bedroom and laid on the bed. He was upset for 10 mins then just went to sleep. After that he never complained again when I put him in the crate. It was never an issue.

After three months though he was fine left at home without being in the crate and has been ever since.

But... I know someone who locks a big retriever in a crate for the nine hours a day she's out at work.

Crate training is essential in the early stages of having the dog but it really should be phased out after that initial period unless your dog actively likes going into their crate.

My own personal feeling is that a dog doesn't mind a crate at all occasionally if the dog is healthy and content.

Anyway, the OP has decided not to get a dog and the cat poop conundrum has recently been discussed in another thread, so I guess not much point in contributing further.

I keep a tray available for cats that are maybe caught short, Buttons has used it as did my other visitor Smokey otherwise its all outside somewhere. Have never seen any signs on the grass.

I keep a tray available for cats that are maybe caught short, Buttons has used it as did my other visitor Smokey otherwise its all outside somewhere. Have never seen any signs on the grass.
I have a large walled yard, so my cats can't get out. There's very little that they can use as a toilet, since I only have a small patch of fake grass, plant pots and the rest is paved. So, I keep (two) trays in the bathroom for them, goes straight into the loo. No real hassle.

I have a large walled yard, so my cats can't get out. There's very little that they can use as a toilet, since I only have a small patch of fake grass, plant pots and the rest is paved. So, I keep (two) trays in the bathroom for them, goes straight into the loo. No real hassle.
I don't have a cat now but I do have at least one visitor that likes to come and hang out in my flat, Buttons many pictures of same appear here. Cat pics

A lot of other cats call at my garden which fresh catnip awaits and if I spot them treats.😃😃

I'm glad you've decided against having a puppy as your cat's are probably a bit to old to accept a noisy, bouncy disruptive pup in the house and may end up moving out.

Jack Russells, or any terrier type aren't often the best ones to have around cats as it's in their instinct to chase things. Having said that, I had a Jack who adored my cats but she was definitely the exception to the rule.

As I work with cats I have come across far too many owners who have introduced a Jack Russell into their home and it has made the cats' lives hell. They usually end up having to keep them separate with the cat living upstairs and the dog downstairs with a baby gate at the bottom of the stairs to stop the dog going up and tormenting the cat.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom