1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting a new TV, need suggestions (32" LCD/HDTV)

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Kiriku, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Kiriku

Kiriku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I've had my Grundig 28" CRT for 7 years, I feel it's about time for an upgrade. And with all the next-gen consoles coming up (and yes, I'm a fan of videogames), HDTV seems essential for me. I've realized that Plasma TVs are simply too expensive for me since I don't want some cheap but half-assed TV set. Instead, I've decided to go the LCD route, since HDTV CRTs are pretty much non-existant here in Europe (and especially in Sweden).

So I've been browsing through lots of different models at different sites, and through this forum for a few days now. A 32" LCD seems like a good fit for my financial situation. Now, I'm not an expert on the deeper technical stuff, but I assume I'm basically going to want as many different (digital) connections as possible. :D And a good screen in general, with as little ghosting as possible. Speakers aren't important, since I'm using external ones.

I'm obviously going to use the TV a lot for videogames and all the latest consoles, but also for DVD movies and some regular analog TV (HDTV isn't available here yet). So I've picked out a few choices that's been recommended here...

Samsung LE32R41B
    Hitachi 32LD7200
    Panasonic TX26LXD500

Feel free to add more suggestions (within the same price range and with the features I'm asking for).

I also would've included that 32" JVC LCD-TV people's been ravin' about, but it's not even available here in Sweden so I won't. Importing a TV seems like risky business to me. :/

To be honest, I'm thinking of going with the Samsung. Because it's considerably cheaper than the other two, and it seems to hold up pretty well anyway from a technical standpoint. So I'm really wondering, how much better are the Hitachi and Panasonic? Can I get the Samsung without feeling I've made a bad purchase? I mean, I'm not a superpicky guy with this stuff, but I want a screen that's all-around good and will hold up for a few years.

And before anyone tells me to go to a store and check these out myself, it's not easy because the bigger chains here in Sweden don't usually have the best and latest stuff.

Anyway, It's a big investment for me, so I want to feel secure with my choice before I actually go through with it. Any help is appreciated.
    Oh, and first post BTW. Nice forums. :)

2. JuMpPa

JuMpPa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The JVC´s new LCD is known as JVC LT-32S60 in other parts of Europe. It´s the same piece of machine as the 32DS6 without the digital receiver.

So I would add that to your list asap :smashin:

It´s 17135 SEK in Sweden and it´s bigbrother (37") is only 20995 SEK :)
    Home this helps!

3. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    I was considering the Samsung but looking at the problems people have been having with tearing at 720p, (Xbox 360's native resolution), I have been put off. I was wanting to buy now as it's for the bedroom, but will wait and see if the issues get resolved by Samsung. If not, it'll be one of the others for me.

4. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can honestly say the Hitachi 32LD7200 screen is absolutely the dog's dangly bits (excellent)!!! :thumbsup:

I've had mine for about 2 weeks now and it's looking better everyday.

The ONLY thing I'm the ever so slightly annoyed about is the very very quiet humming noise I get sometimes, but it's a case of once you know it's there, you'll always listen out for it. In everyday viewing, the noise cannot be noticed.

Ben

5. jbm

jbm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!

Well I am in Denmark and I can understand your difficulties, the same here to get the latest LCDs, quite annoying...

Anyhow I have seen both the Samsung and the Hitachi live and the difference in PQ with HD sources is huge I can assure you...The image of the Hitachi is quite amazing!

I would also like to see in reality the Panasonic, but the TX32LX500 (I think it is the same as the LXD without the digital tuner, and the only I can find here in webshops...not sure abot this info though). It seems to be a very good set too according to other thread, but I am missing the DVI connection to connect my PC with better quality than the DSUB...

Another you might add is the Samsung LE40R51B, which also seems to be a good LCD (bit bigger and that would be better for my ~3m viewing distance), but again a without DVI...

Anyone in the UK who has compared this sets with HD sources?

Jorge

6. nikolajhendel

nikolajhendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jbm
    What Samsung lcd-tv did you have a look at. I'm about to buy the LE-26R51B - so quite interested in your observations. Furthermore, where did you see sets (copenhagen area? )

7. Kiriku

Kiriku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I'll consider that one as well then. :)

Right now, I'm starting to lean more towards the Hitachi screen...but it's so expensive, I have to draw the line somewhere. Perhaps it's better to wait for prices to go down.

8. jbm

jbm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nikolajhendel- I saw the older model of the Samsung, the LE32R41B as in Kiriku list, this is widely available at a quite low price. The PQ is not very good and the build quality is even worse, too many low quality plastics...
    I am looking forward to see the new 51 Samsung models, seem much more attractive.
    I am in Aarhus area!

Kiriku, the Hitachi can be bought for around 1800€ in f.ex. www.dinamicahifi.com (only available beggining of August) or even cheaper in www.multidiscount.com (I read some reviews of this last and they were very, very negative...)...I believe this price is more "convenient" than the ones you and me can find here in Scandinavia...

Still I am not decided as the Samsung LE40R51B and Panasonic TX32LX500 seem to be very good sets aswell...and I would like to see them live 2...

Jorge

9. Kiriku

Kiriku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, importing may be an option but I'm a bit hesitant. With all the shipping, question of warranties, the possibility of the TV not working properly...and I don't even know which foreign online store to trust. Throwing €1800 into the hands of some unknown online store would make it hard to sleep at night. :p
    In that case, I would probably go with a UK based one, since it makes it possible for me to read the text on their site at least. ;)
    It would be sweet if an import situation worked out well though, I would save like €300 compared to buying it here in Sweden.