1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting a new PLASMA or LCD from the US ? advice

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by ANTHONYVEE, Nov 24, 2004.

1. ANTHONYVEE

ANTHONYVEE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have been finding very good deals in the US for Panasonic Plasma TV ( TH37PWD7UY ) This is a PLASMA monitor only, that supports multi systems.
    http://www.plasmahouse.com/itemdetail.asp?cartid=5750180VYL-EVEREST-YI723&ic=TH37PWD7UY
    This Plasma is 110V but can operate with NTSC, PAL and other systems, It needs an extrernal tuner and speakers.

What are the negative points to getting one from the US and adding a UK tuner etc ? any traps, any advice ?

The price difference is quite substantial

Thanks

2. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    The one you linked is only EDTV - not HDTV. This indicates it will do 480P but not anything better (like 1080i).

I regret that the marketing men have only created confusion with labels like EDTV , HDTV and "HDTV compatible"

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

3. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe he doesn't want a HD capable screen? Seeing as it's only a monitor, I don't think there would be many problems with using it over here. The only problem I can see is the shipping costs. Because plasma screens are heavy and very delicate, it would probably cost a few £100 to get it over here, so the total price would be similar to what it would be if you bought it in Britain to begin with.

4. Moe

Moe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't forget the Import Duty and VAT that will be applied..and that you will be unlikely to have any warranty.

5. ANTHONYVEE

ANTHONYVEE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice, Today I had seen the Philips 32PF9976 in action and it was fantastic, I am waiting for a price drop in the UK and I will bu that.
    For anyones info the SHARP 32"aquos was nice picture but movemetns seems jagered and the image had pixalisation. IN comparison the Philips was fanatstic and the 9976 has PIXEL PLUS enhaced..

Anthony