1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting a new Live game today, which one??

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Mr_Belowski, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Hey Peeps,

Hope you all had a nice boozy Christmas and new year :).

I got an XBox Live subscription and a 2nd (non-chipped) Xbox from my long-suffering other half for Christmas and I've been playing R63 and PGR2 most nights since. So much in fact that my head as actually fallen off.

Anyway, as I'm back at work now I'm daydreaming about getting more games. I'm probably going out at lunch time to see what I can find and I'm torn between a few. I'd very much appreciate whatever pearls of wisdom you learned folks can shower my way ;)

OK, I'm considering...

Ghost Recon
    Ghost Recon Island Thunder
    Return to Castle Wolfenstein
    Toca Race Driver 2
    XIII
    Amped
    TopSpin
    Mechassault (if I can find it really cheap)

Does anyone have any recommendations or warnings?

Ta,

Mr B

(Mr Belowski is my gamer tag, but I advise against playing me on PGR2 cos there's a good chance I'll kick your arse, and I'm a very bad winner ;))

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I would choose between XIII, Amped 2 or MechAssault (you should find it for about £15 - it's a good laugh and has great playability).

Links is also wicked (highly recommended) and Top Spin too. I guess it depends what sort of games you like as your list is quite varied.

Good hunting and happy gaming :D

3. colesy

colesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi Mr B,
    Well RTCW has my vote amongst those on you list.
    It used to have a great following of guys off this forum.
    Beware of cheats on that game though, the game has been hacked to enable infinite ammo and medi pack amongst other things.
    But don't let that put you off. It is a fast paced game, with great team work needed. It can take a while to get into it though and I'm sure a few of the guys would be happy to show you around.
    I still rate this game.

Top Spin had it's following, but I have heard it has been spoilt by some lag issues.

GR and GRIT are good enough games, but can be slow paced, and the map lighting system on GRIT did my head in.
    I haven't played the others

4. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Interesting... Looks like RTCW is currently the fav, and maybe Mechassault thrown in for good measure depending on prices of course. Colesy, when you say the lighting did your head in on GR:IT, what do you mean? I played Ghost Recon a bit on a mates Xbox and liked it - does GR:IT look different?

Messiah, do people still play Mechassault? I tried the Live demo that came with my starter pack but couldn't find a single game to join, or any other players when I hosted :(

Thanks for the info guys :)

5. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    GRIT is superb although I haven't played it since getting PGR2. But then, I haven't played anything else either. Never had RTCW so can't comment.

6. colesy

colesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    GRIT has a new dynamic lighting system. when you access the map and then come out of it back to the game, the screen goes all dark for a few seconds...can be a bit of a bummer.

7. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Thanks for the tips lads. Looks like it's between GR:IT, RTCW and Mechassault for now :)

8. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Well out of those 3 i'd go with RTCW, also there was a new patch out to stop the hacking on RTCW.

9. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Well, just got back :)

Picked up GR:IT and RTCW, £35 for the two (one new, one s/h).

Not bad, eh? I couldn't find Topspin, Race Driver, or Mechassault anywhere, and Amped 2 was £40 (!). Now I just gotta keep my fingers crossed that Mrs Belowski goes out for the evening ;)

Thanks for the advice chaps

10. supersonic87

supersonic87
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you have a gamestation near you they sell amped 2 for £20, if not it's also available online :smashin:

Rich

11. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Top Spin is my favourite, but y'know: horses for courses and all that.

12. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    So do any peeps still play RTCW and GR:IT? There's nothing more boring than wandering around an empty level with a big gun looking for people to kill...

13. colesy

colesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I haven't played RTCW in a while but a few of us are going on this week....I will be on live tonight but I will be testing out Project Gotham 2 (cos I have never played it online before, only about 1 hour into single player) and Rainbow 6.

If I don't manage to get on RTCW tonight, then I will try and get on tomorrow, if you want be shown around a level or two. I must admit mind I'm not the best tour guide around, but i know a few guys who are :smashin:

14. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    I'll have a play tonight. I don't think it'll take long to get my head around the levels - I played the PC version online a lot. Thanks for the offer. If you guys get together for some GRIT or RTCW action, give me a shout.

15. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Dont forget Topspin is at the bargain price of £12.99 at woolworths - instore only and be quick they are flying off the shelves :D I posted this Bargain in the Console/Games Special offer/bargains last week but as most people dont check there :rolleyes: :( I thought i would mention it here.

16. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Well after extensive and very thorough play testing (about half an hour) I've decided that GR:IT isn't very good.

I tried 'quick match', and in 3 games (3 successful connections out of about 10 attempts) I got disconnected once, gave up once, and my Xbox froze on me once. Each game was laggy as hell, with people disappearing all over the place and other weirdness.

I also tried optimatch and didn't have any more luck - it didn't crash, but I still couldn't find a playable game. Was it just a bad night? Should I keep trying? Is it usually hard to find a decent game?

I just couldn't help but feel that I was wasting valuable PGR2 / R63 time ;).

RTCW was much more successful - quite good fun in fact, and a definite keeper as it's a nice change of pace from R63.

So it looks like GR:IT will be going back to Game. I'll give it another try tonight - maybe I'll even give it a proper try ;)