1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting a new LCD on saturday, need help!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by bairdyboy1980, Aug 14, 2005.

1. bairdyboy1980

bairdyboy1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Hi everyone :hiya:

New member here! I am due to put in a new LCD (Philips 23" 23PF4310) in my bedroom on saturday. I have bought a universal bracket for it which should be no problem. I have a few questions if someone could help me out!

1. I live in an older type property ( all bricked, no plaster board), how would i conceal my wiring?i.e. how do people normally do it?

2. WHat are my option on storing my dvd player/VCR? What do people normally do? i dont particulary what them out in the open (i think it ruins the effect, anyone got any ideas?)

3. I have a main NTL box in my living room but i dont want to get an extra box for my bedroom, any ideas about getting a signal senders? I have looked at these and it always says that i cannot control NTL through these!

Thanks in advance :clap:

Robbie
    Glasgow

2. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    1. I live in an older type property ( all bricked, no plaster board), how would i conceal my wiring?i.e. how do people normally do it?

Drill, chisel, and dust sheets over everything in the room!!! Lay in some plastic trunking with your required cables in, then polyfilla back up. Hard work, but very worth it.

2. WHat are my option on storing my dvd player/VCR? What do people normally do? i dont particulary what them out in the open (i think it ruins the effect, anyone got any ideas?)

When burying cables run some infra-red forwarding gear too so you can have a little eye on top or below the screen. Hide all the kit in a cupboard/wardrobe/under the bed. IR bit will ensure your remotes will work

3. I have a main NTL box in my living room but i dont want to get an extra box for my bedroom, any ideas about getting a signal senders? I have looked at these and it always says that i cannot control NTL through these!

Same senders as above *should* work. You will probably need more expensive Xantech repeaters if NTL is likely to play up. However this does mean hardwiring from upstairs to downstairs... Could just get Freeview for the bedroom.

3. Nas

Nas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I'm doing a similar project, and was wondering where to get this "infra-red forwarding gear". I've done a search and all I could find was fancy & expensive remotes with RF transmitters, however I am looking for something simple that consists of an IR eye/receiver, connected by some length of cable to an IR transmitter. ie. I want to be able to use all my existing remotes.

Also looking for recommendations of an experienced plasterer who could also do trunking/routing in my brick wall (a vertical length of about 1 metre)

Thanks,

Nas

4. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Keene electronics do the cheapest. But it's not the most pleasant thing to look at and they do not do a receiver specifically to place new plasma or LCD screens (which can interfere with IR receivers...).

Xantech do the best. Packages start around £200 but the gear is completely faultless.

5. Nas

Nas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info - I'm looking for something inconspicuous but don't want to spend more than £50. Maybe it's time to dig out my electronics manual! :lesson:

6. A-Friend

A-Friend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    These aren't too bad ... it just depends if you have SOMEWHERE to place the new receiver or not. If you want EVERYTHING on the wall then these probably aren't right for you, but if you have a small surface then one of these could be right.

BlueDelta SmartBlaster

Marmitek Invisible Control (receiver is bigger on this one than on the smart blaster i think)