1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting a new LCD but don't know which size!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by cyc2222, Dec 24, 2004.

1. cyc2222

cyc2222

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've finally decided to get an LCD, a Samsung, but should I get the Samsung*LE-32A41B* or the smaller Samsung*LE-26A41B?
    I will be sitting about 2.5 metres away from it, and I'm lying on my bed watching the lcd which stands in a cupboard on the left, so the screen will be turned about 45°.

The 26 is 1200€,
    The 32 is 1700€.

It is a big €€€ difference, but will it be worth it?
    And is a 32" screen neccesary for my room?

2. andya

andya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    i would definetley get the 32 u will find the 26 just to small,and i would go for a sharp lcd they are superb ,great menu system dvi component e.t.c great styling good black level

3. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yea, 32" at least. You will be supprised how small a 26" will look.

4. cyc2222

cyc2222

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First the 32 sharp model is out of my price range, but I checked them out at various shops as I was interested in the 26" model, but the picture quality did dissappoint me. Might be the problem of bad sources or cable problems, but I didn't like the picture quality. Too much digital artefacts.

5. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Spanner in the works. I would say the 26" or similar.

At 2.5 metres you are really too close for a 32" set not to bug you to death. Unless you are able to provide it with a fantastic signal (ie. DVD Progressive etc), even the very best 32" will visibly be messy.

There are now a variety of different sized screens....The Viewsonic N3000W (30" and very capable - £1400) for one. Also some strange new models appearing shortly at the likes of Aldi (27" for £600 and reasonable, to say the least, specs). Some of the new Samsungs are starting to cause a stir too...

The Sharp screens, as you have noticed, really don't perform well with poor signals, unlike the daddy of them all at the moment, the Philips PF9986, which, can seemingly pull a decent picture from nearly any source. From what I can gather from what you are saying this is not within your budget. (£2000)

Merry Xmas all..
    Jimmy

PS. Just remember, a 26" LCD has the same picture size as a 28" CRT and a 30" LCD same as a 32" CRT...and the smaller the picture, the 'cleaner' it appears...

6. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,358
    Jimbo, understand and respect what your saying about viewing distances but...

imo, a 26" screen for 2.5 mtrs (or 7-8ft ish) away is just too small. Especially for Home Cinema Viewing.

That's the distance i'll be viewing from and i've ruled out a 26" LCD.

I'm aware that this is practically the same as a 28" CRT but i class them as portables!

Perhaps the issue here is don't buy an LCD if you planning on sitting reasonably close unless you a: get a good one and b: feed it the highest quality signals you can. HDMI/DVI, PS etc etc..

I have a lot of 2.35:1 films in my collection (which I intend to go through all again when I finally get my new tv :) but from 7ft away on a 26" screen the 2.35:1 picture is so small (imo).

I'm going to see a few more tellys after xmas and i've got my piece of string so I can measure exact distances in store :D

We'll see what happens...

Happy Xmas BTW :smashin:

7. cyc2222

cyc2222

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Humm, as the screen has progressive, DVI and component I am gonna feed it with a pretty good source with DVD. PS 2 will be hooked up via RGB.

8. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Point taken about 2.35:1 movies and a 26" Dom..

Problem here is that cyc2222's budget is limited in such a way as to prevent him purchasing a really good 32". He doesn't like the Sharp and I figure that perhaps a good budget 30" set like the Viewsonic may be a good alternative.

Jingle Bells...

Jimmy

9. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,358
    DOH! Forgot about his budget :D

Sometimes it's just as easy if you have a budget than if not!

I'm in the fortunate (or unfortunate as i'm single! :thumbsdow ) position of not realy having a budget.

Obviously a tv costing £3K is going to have to blow my socks off a lot more than £1K but I just have to find the right balance between size and quality.

7ft away is pretty close but then I do have to remember that I do have the option to move in 4 months and a larger viewing area would be 1st on the agenda!

Sony's newish 37" Plasma would have been the one for me but without any DVI/HDMI it's a no no. Got a sneaky feeling that there next models may not be too far away.....

10. asdff

asdff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well first of all, the Samsung isn't bad at all, from what i've seen its pretty good actually.. My friend has it since yesterday and he's sitting from 2,2m distance, which is too close for normal tellie (digital) but for DVD's on DVI its allright really, but I guess that's totally up to u as some people prefer to sit close to their screen and some just want the best possible quality..