1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

getting a new Jvc Recorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by andru, Dec 6, 2003.

1. andru

andru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I am treating myself to the new Jvc recorder just after christmas and i have a few questions about it.I have a analogue cam corder and i want to know can i connect it to the jvc and then record onto either a dvd ram or dvd-rw and then transfer it to my computer so that i can edit it back onto a dvd disc to keep?Also does it have optical in as i need this for my dts sound system and has anyone seen one less than £299 as that is the cheapest i have seen so far.I will be connecting it to my sky(2 skarts),TV (3 skarts) and my sony home cinema system.Will i be able to record perfectly off sky onto ram discs and also edit those on my computer.My dvd burner on my computer does dvd-r and also dvd ram.One last question has anyone got one of these and can you tell me the good and the bad(if any)about it.Hope that was all not to confusing.

Thanks

2. jda

jda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly I haven't yet got the JVC recorder, I'm still working on a so called price promise from Comet that they refuse to match.

Comet price 399, as you have seen a lot of place do them for 299, I found a couple under this.

A shop (local to me), http://www.totaldigital.biz/ with a price at 289 and another I've seen at 285 but didn't save the link.

The problem with the JVC is that everyone will tell you is that it does not have RGB input.

No DVD recorders yet have any digitial audio inputs, the JVC has Optical and Coax outputs, which the Panasonic only have Optical.

TMP DVD Author has been recomended to edit dvd-ram on PC's

On the plus side the JVC can write to -RW discs which are cheaper and easier to find.

Front inputs include S-Video input for your camcorder.

Best thing to do is have a look at the maual. Haven't checked the UK site but I saw it in English on a German site.

http://www.jvc.de/service/source/bedienung.cfm?Model=DR-M1

Jim

3. andru

andru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the reply i'll take a look at the manual

4. Jamera

Jamera

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Panny is great only go JVC if you need the extra read compatibility cause thats what your paying for!
    jda why not save the hassle and order from one of the cheaper sites!

6. andru

andru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just actually got it now let you know how i get on with it in a few days

7. Jamera

Jamera

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't seem to make up my mind on which one to go for/ which format will become standard I am toying with the idea of just getting a player and waiting to see what happens with the recorders
    has any ne got any suggestions for a decent multiregion player for around £100.00

8. phenom2003

phenom2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No format will become the standard, all the formats (or at least recorders) will become obsolete in 2-3 years with the emergance of dual layer recording and eventually blu-ray or cheap HDD recorders.

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    TOSH SD330 £80 amazon or RS
    Pioneer DV464 £90 at RS Panasonic DVDS75 (Multi-region) S75 can play DVD-Ram so if you went for a panny machine (or even a JVC) you would have a RAM capable player already for a little over budget.

10. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Does the JVC take cadded (T1) disc's, or do you have to remove them from the caddy?

Is the JVC available in multi-region yet?

11. andru

andru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    you must remove the dvd ram disc from the caddie first i think they are the version 2 type

12. JIM HARKNESS

JIM HARKNESS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased a JVC DR-M1 two weeks ago and am experiencing a problem with compatability with my Toshiba 36 inch widescreen TV. The problem is that when the recorder is switched on it switches my TV to 4.3 mode.The TV needs to be switched manually to " Super Live" for the picture to fill the screen.
    It is connected to the TV by fully wired scart from the LI connection to the AV1 of the TV and Sky+ box is connected to the L2 input of the recorder by fully wired scart. I have tried setting the recorder to 16.9 auto and 16.9 fixed in the setup menu but both settings produce the switching to 4.3 on the TV. If I play a widescreen DVD, this will switch the TV to widescreen,but as soon as I stop play and the recorder reverts to it's own tuner the TV switches back to 4.3. Can anyone on this forum that has a JVC recorder confirm if this is normal or have I a faulty unit? JVC customer services are less than helpful and can't offer any useful info.

13. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Thanks andru, anyone like to comment on multi-region availability.

14. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Jim Harkness, is this behaviour not controlled by your tv settings? I have a sony tv and the equivalent of super-live mode is called smart mode. It has options for each av input to switch on/off auto-formatting and a setting called "format correction" that makes 4:3 material switch to smart mode to fill the screen. It's maybe worthwhile having a look through your tv manual and/or on-screen menus.

15. JIM HARKNESS

JIM HARKNESS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bobones

Yes thanks very much for that, Ihave found that auto format was causing the problem and in fact needs to be switched off for the JVC to show a full screen picture.
    Strange then that the other DVD player which is a Panasonic does not show this problem when format is switched to auto

Regards
    Jim

16. jda

jda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just got the DRM-1 and I have a 28WS Toshiba. It seems to be OK with my setup.

If you mean the DVD tuner switches it to 4:3 then this may be a problem with the TV.

Normal (as I see it) should be...

Widescreen DVD/Sky source, DRM send WS signal and switches TV.

Normal via tuner DRM-1 (none digital) sends normal signal and switches to Super Live mode.

If your goes back to 4:3 then switch all inputs into standbye. Watch normal TV on TV, switch to super live mode. Then power on the DRM-1, if connected correctly the TV should switch to the AV channel (if connected via scart) and still be in super live.

If not check the WS switching setting on the TV menu. I think mine is switched off as it did make a difference???

Jim

17. jda

jda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I have asked on another forum but just in case.

How do you get them out of the caddie without breaking it open???

Jim

18. JIM HARKNESS

JIM HARKNESS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jda
    Thanks for the reply. If you look at my previous post you will see that my problem did indeed lie in the TV setup. I had to switch auto format off and that resolved the problem. Strange then that another DVD recorder and also Sky (All Channels),using a similar scart setup did not produce this switching to 4.3
    Regard
    Jim

19. clarem

clarem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it not the case that the recorder is reverting back to its inbuilt tuner which is an analogue tuner and hence the 4:3 ouput is correct. Turning off the TV auto-switching does just that and hence the TV doesn't switch and remains in the previously selected 16:9 mode.

Mike.

20. JIM HARKNESS

JIM HARKNESS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    clarem
    You are absolutely correct in your assumption and this has rectified the original problem, but the query I now have is that my previous Panasonic DVD Recorder connected in the same way also usihg it's analogue tuner did not switch the screen to 4.3 with the auto-switching turned on
    Regards
    Jim

21. clarem

clarem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quite a few older DVD players don't support auto-switching signal on the scart - my Wharfedale 750 is one for example (had to manually switch TV to 16:9 if the TV happened to be in 4:3).

22. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Has anyone tested a -RW disc in an older player to see if it will play.

Just curious.

23. jda

jda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Toshiba 210 which is fairly old.

The manual acutally states it will not play -RW but it does:)

I get a bit of freezing if there is a finger print or minior problem, but that also goes for playing CD-RW.

But so much for +RW being compatabile as it gives disk error whatever I do.

Also plays -R fine.

Jim

24. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    My Tosh 210 would not even play dvd-r reliably. I've ditched for a Panny S75 which has been flawless with discs burned on the E50 or PC.

25. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Thanks for the comments, anymore????

26. craigw

craigw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After finalisation in DVD Video mode, it will not play in my old Grundig GDV210A but plays in my computers DVD ROM drive.

27. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Thanks Craig :)