1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting a new DVD player today for Projector so which one is best.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by brad123, Feb 11, 2002.

1. brad123

brad123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    JUST RECEIVED THIS FROM DEBENHAMS

Dear Sir

Thank you for your recent enquiry. The Lecson DVD 1000 will be available
    from our stores within the next two to three weeks at =A3199, it will not be
    available from our website. Please see below for the main specifications:

Analogue 5 Channel output Dolby 5.1
    Analogue 5 Channel output DTS
    2 Scart Sockets
    Progressive Scan
    Headphone Amplifier
    Upgraded Audio Section
    Gold Plated Connectors

I trust that this information is useful to you.

Kind regards
    Zoe Whitelaw
    Customer Relations Department

2. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Hi Brad

I also would like to go the progressive scan route, I tried my pc briefly, which is progressive scan, the image was much smoother and detailed.
    The Chinese player has a rgb(din) connector, Li on at avsforums says this is the best way to get good picture quality with progressive scan on the Panasonic.
    The Lecson also sounds like a good player for £199. Dont forget progressive scan will only work with ntsc (region 1) dvd's.
    If you want progressive with your region 2 software you will have to go the HTPC route.
    It might be worth waiting for the Lecson just to see what it can do, I believe it's out in early March.

3. trooper1212

trooper1212

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've got a pioneer 737 going into my panny projector using progressive scan, and it looks pretty good. It's not the jaw dropping difference over non progressive output that some people would have you believe. It is better though and worth spending a few hundred quid on getting.

T.

4. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I was looking at upgrading my poor old wharfey for this puppy until I started to get an itchy bank balance for the PTAE100...will this still be an appropriate upgrade? I hadn't really considered the Lecson as I felt it would be on a par with the wharfey - do you think that the performance of the progressive scan feature on dare I say it a lesser brand model would be such a difference compared with a technically well regarded player such as the 545...? If this makes sense...

cheers

berth

5. trooper1212

trooper1212

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The pioneer 545 doesn't have progressive scan, so if thats what you're after then I'd look elsewhere.

T.

6. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    hello there...I don't think my previous post was that clear - I'll have another go..

Do you think that the picture from the Lecson which has the benefit of progressive scan still be better than a well reviewed player such as the 545..eg. there are excellent quality mid range cd players out there that kick the ass off of much more expensive dvd & dvd audio players when it comes to music..

This is also an important part of the homecinema gig that those desperate for the ultimate picture at the best price (myself included) seem to overlook - you may get a progressive picture but it could sound like someone farting in the bath

I myself have never seen a decent projector set up yet & am sure that if I never get the chance to compare the panasonic (when I get it!) with one connected to a progressive scan machine - I think I'll be none the wiser & as happy as a nun on a spin cycle...:D

cheers

Berth

7. brad123

brad123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    anymore help on this anyone please.

8. brad123

brad123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    up for edit.

9. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Don't assume this player can't do progressive scan with PAL. It is a chineese player so anything goes. The skyworth did PAL progressive scan!

Don't assume that ps will automatically give you a better picture, it is more down to how a player has been engineered. The picture quality on the skyworth was okay, the de-interlacing however was excellent but unfortunately the sound was BAD. People went exstatic about it because of the de-interlacing however ultimately we need a more balanced performance.

Until this player hits the market it is difficult (impossible?) to make an informed judgement about the player however a PS player at £199 is a very interesting market development I wait eagerly for.

10. Retronana

Retronana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    I think Nic could right here,

My understanding is that PAL DVD's can output progressive scan, it's the firmware in the player that is the issue.

The Lecson that Debenhams currently stock is described instore as "upgradable from CD".....could be good news

11. brad123

brad123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I presume the Lecson will have the 3 coloured component sockets on the back wont it.