Getting a headphone port from a PW8, on an -extremely- limited budget!

S

simon33

Hi guys,

I will recently be receiving a PW8. :thumbsup: The thing is, I've just realised it won't have a headphone port. :rolleyes:

I understand that wouldn't normally be a problem, but the trouble is I watch 99% of TV through headphones. Weird, I know - but its in a shared room and really is the easiest option.

My question is - what would be the cheapest and easiest way to get a headphone port on the plasma? Is it even possible? I understand it only has speaker connections so I'm a little stumped - any help would be greatly appreciated!

well believe it or not you could connect the headphones directly to the speaker outputs via a homemade adpater, the only problem you would have with this is that you need to limit the peak voltage to the headphones.
,if you are not careful in limiting the volume you could easily blow you headphones and possible damage the amp. For this reason I wouldn't recommend this.

One way to prevent this is to insert a series resistor between the speaker outputs and the headphones.

To get this right you need to know the following.

1. the input impedance of the headphones
2. The max input voltage range of the headphones.
3. The peak output power of the amp into (4 or 8ohms)

Thanks Mat for your helpful reply.

I unfortunately don't yet have an amp and wasn't really planning on getting one.

Is there no other way apart from resorting to home-electronics!?

well I think I ws a bit unclear, when I mean't amp I mean't the speaker output terminals.

MAT365 said:
well I think I ws a bit unclear, when I mean't amp I mean't the speaker output terminals.
Thanks MAT, that makes it a bit easier.

To be honest I'm still not too keen on the whole home-diy connections - I'm too scared! Is there really no other way to use headphones with a PW8?

Am I the only one who uses them!?

Yes it does have the spring clips!

Panny cheap skates :)

If you are near to a Maplin, they will sell you something similar, they are normally clued up and will bare the cable back so you can connect it up.

As has been said already, running a headphone from speaker outputs isn't going to work well, and runs risks...

Instead you can just use the audio outputs of your sources (Sky/Freeview/DVD). Get a budget amp, studio mixer or DJ mixer (£35 or so) and use its headphone output - you can also easily switch between outputs and have EQ etc too. And/or a nice wireless heapdhone set (£50 for the Senheisser with cradle which is surprisingly good and can plug direct into the output of one source).

simon33

The HeadTAP from ART is what you require - you can Input the speaker level signals from the speaker sockets on the Display and output to your headphones.

Between the Volume control on the Display and the Volume knob on the HeadTAP you should achieve a decent level of volume adjustments.

See http://www.sonic8.com > ART > accessories > HeadTAP.

Best regards

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom