getting a cinema type sound

bullettneil

Standard Member
Reaction score
do any of you boys get a true cinema surround sound? ie have 7 or more speakers and have them set 3 front 2 side 2 rear or 3 front 4 rear?
my yamaha dsp-ax861se amp says i can control 7 speakers(tbh there seems to be a hell of alot more outputs on the back) but it doesnt seem to ever use more than the front 3 and 2 outside rears.
i would like 2 speakers one either side inbetween the fronts and rears like a cinema is but it doesnt seems run all the 7 speakers,so is that down to the movie disc not sending the signal out like that or the amp not being set correctly?

i currently run a cheap(120quid for 4 small nx-e130 6ohm 100watt max,1 centre nx-c130 6 ohm 100watt max and a sub sw-p130 60watt 50hz)yamaha speaker set plus two big front floor standing wharfdale(atlantic 400,150w max 92db.2 8" 1 tweeter in each) speakers but im looking at maybe getting the vibe monolith surround speaker set up(have heard the sub is rubbish though?)and maybe a good recommended sub. to replace what i have.

will point out im really dont know the ins and outs of the technical stuff,i just know i like a clear loud cinema type sound.all i really tend to do is watch movies and use it for ps3,not really on tv at all

cheers in advance neil

Last edited:
You have extra speaker outputs so you can have sound in another room. Many sound sources do not really have a centre rear channel which is what the other two outputs are really for in a 7.1 setup.

You cannot really have side speakers with these kinds of setups there are some expensive systems like Meridian and Lexican who have proprietary systems designed to derive side channels. Harmon Kardon part of the lexican group but cheaper also have this system.
In the cinema everybody needs to be able to hear the sound so having lots of speakers about the place can be essential. In practice there are only so many discrete channels of sound depending on your source. In mono it's only one in stereo it's two. Clever circuitry can then derive extra channels from this limited number e.g. ProLogic 2. Other systems can have more channels e.g. 5.1 or 7.1 from Dolby and DTS found on DVDs and some high-definition broadcasts. But these do not really have separate side channels.

In practice this is not likely to make much difference if your system is balanced correctly a noise that moved from the front to the back would effectively sound as if it came from a phantom speaker which was at the side of the room.

This is how with stereo something that can sound like it is coming from between the two speakers that is in the middle and yet the noise is really coming from two speakers one as each side. Hope this helps.

ah right that explains why i cant firgure it out then. sounds daft but ive always wanted the sound to move from front to back via side speakers like a cinema does but now i know it cant be done thats fine.now i just need to changed my speakers to some better ones

cheers people

Based on the sound quality of most cinemas I've been to - no. And I'm glad I don't have cinema sound, for the exact same reason. Much happier with my 5.1 set up

on that dolby site it does show a 7.1 set up but am i assuming correct that there isnt dvd/bluray that send that sort of signal out at all?

Blu-ray allows for uncompressed HD Audio codecs up to and exceeding 7.1.

Search around and you will find a handful of BD titles that include a 7.1 Soundtrack which can then be sent via the HDMI socket to be processed in a suitable AV Processor or AVR or processed within the BD player and Output as multiple analogue audio streams to a suitably equipped AV Processor or AVR.

More discussions here on Movies that include a 7.1 Soundtrack - http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-...ack-dolby-true-hd-dts-hd-7-1-soundtracks.html

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom