1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting a 42" plasma - unsure of 1080i\brand to get etc etc

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by robo989, Mar 9, 2005.

1. robo989

robo989
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Okey dokey thank you for reading this....

I posted on here the other day and came to the conclusion that getting the Panasonic PW7 42inch plasma is a gud idea and can't go far wrong with it. Yep all sorted...kindof...

I understand that my PS2\Xbox can output these high resolution modes on certain plasma screens? 720i\1080i or whatever its called.

I'm just curious can a PW7 do all that?

Does it have anything to do with it being progressive scan? Like, my ps2 can output some games in progressive scan as can my dvd player...Do all plasmas work in progressive scan mode?

It seems that the PW7 doesn't do HD modes, can it do any of these "i" modes or whatever they are...

And whats the best plasma that CAN do all the "i" modes.

I know I sound like a total idiot, I'm not well I'm not in general, but all the faqs dont even mention all this.

Also do you have to use component connection to make use of progressive scan and these "i" modes?

thank you very much for helping a cretin :hiya:

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    :offtopic: Cretinism is caused by iodine deficiency isn't it? Very unlikely these days, though it used to be induced in Napoleonic France to prevent conscription...a cretin can still work his father's farm, a serving soldier can't.

The PW7 confusion is caused by it's apparent lack of resolution usually. It is capable of displaying all these modes, without overscan, fuss or bother, via component or RGB inputs. It needs expensive (comparatively) extra gear to display european HDTV signals, though this bit of kit has lots of other good points (See scalers). high definition on component inputs will improve the picture even though it is a low res panel, and it will accept progressive or interlaced signals without batting an eyelid.

Edit: The best plasma, well that's a hard question. The answer being the one you like the best. They all have advantages and disadvantages. The PW7 currently offers astonishing value, even if it's not 'the best'. It can't be that, cos Panasonic make a better one but it's twice the price, and then that's still not properly HDTV ready, but then few are. If you've got more cash you can get a better plasma, but whether you'll get more enjoyment out of your PS2 for spending another 1250 on it, that's another thing.

3. robo989

robo989
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    hey thanx for that insight... :smashin: (I'm halfway there on your definition of a cretin, I do live on a farm that belongs to my father and I would not be able to join the army due to medical reasons) :) suh there matey :)

Anway on the side of more relevent issues...

I suppose what I'm asking is...

If I buy a Panasonic PW7, and the component and scart input board that I intend to buy, will I be able to play my ps2 in one of the "i" high res modes like 1080i or 720i or whatever and in progressive mode using the component cables?

If not, then what do I need to be able to do this?

A different screen?

What are the best plasmas that cost up to £3500 cud you name a few models that u consider to be very good.

I read on here that pioneer expensive screens don't look very good because they've got some screen filter or something.

I just want a nice big sharp and smooth and vibrant picture with minimum setup hasstle and tweaking nonsense. so I can connect up my Sky\PS2\Xbox\PC

Don't want any tuner\speakers since using sky and already got a home cinema setup.

I just want the best for the money, I do like saving money but I really wanna be able to have the latest stuff in it, with no restrictions like it seems the PW7 has, it seems it doesn't support any of these "i" resolutions at 50hz pal!!!

Please help, I'm well confused about all this :)

Thanx, Rob

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    ROb the PWD is great but the PHD7 is better!!!!! twice the price and you need a demo to see if it is worth it.....but well worth a look and considering....PS for £3.5k you can go 50"!!!!!!

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Horny and I are secretly in league, I run a PHD7 myself, need I say more? I could choose anything I wanted from the stock room. 1080i and 720p no sweat from any component video source, it looks amazing on a Onkyo SP1000 DVD, maybe a PS2 might not look so good, but still marvellous I'm sure. Where are you, we'll point you to a forum recommended dealer for your demo etc.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Glad you didnt say "BED" MAW....................................

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Nah, my plasma's a 42", you've nothing to worry about!

8. symphara

symphara

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    A Panny? I thought you had the MXE1?

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    PHD7 at the moment, I run an MXE from time to time, but prefer the panny myself. Could be different if my room were brighter.

10. robo989

robo989
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    cheers, I'm in south west wales, carmarthenshire about 40 miles west of swansea or 60-70 from cardiff.

(little bit out the way ;))

So is the PHD7 HD ready n all that? sounds like some kind of qualification.

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Ha, was in Bronwydd at the weekend, my inlaws live there. Lovely view of the railway (yes seriously, its a pretty steam one) Horny may know a place within P***ing distance of you, I can think of nowhere. Currys in Carmarthen doesn't quite cut it! Hinchleys anyone??? Or else you will be travelling miles or taking it on trust, which is a hard thing to suggest for 2.5k.

12. robo989

robo989
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I don't mind driving to cardiff for it, make a day of it.

The only reason I would be interested in it is that it supports higher resolution, it still isn't HDTV ready is it? I don't know if I could justify the price really....

If the PW7 can do these...

1. Progressive scan.

2. Take DVI\Scart\RGB\Component (addin boards I know).

3. Sky digi doesn't look too bad.

4. Easy to set up for someone who has only read the manual for the screen and has never even touched a plasma screen before. (I'm pretty gud at stuff I like that, putting computers together, fiddling about etc).

5. can do 720p\1080i or "i" or whatever its called. (I'm just worried that I'd buy it and then I'd try n connect up my PS2\Xbox and it won't do anything special other than run in progressive mode, could you clarify this a little for me)

I don't mind buying the PW7 without demoing it because of all the good press on here, I know that if I think its ****e, I'd have thought exactly the same thing about any other screen in its price range. I can always sell it if I do need Sky HD which I'm not really bothered about at the mo or forseeable future....But I am bothered about the PS2\Xbox high def modes....

How does all that work, does it work on the PW7....please please tell me :) Or point me to somewhere I can read. I hear that the PW7 can do 720p in 60hz but not 50hz as in pal where we live. But I know PS2\Xbox can output at 60hz anyway since I play all my games that have that option at that frequency, so do these games that have that 720p setting output at 60hz by default or not....

awww I'm going :confused: :rolleyes: :suicide:

thanx for answers peeps

(I'm originally from essex btw so no sheep puns if u will) can speak welsh but its useless since it only allows u to interact with (generally) narrow minded arse holes, and topics of conversation related to weather\vehicles\rugby\nationalism\agricultural machinery....umm rite anyway... :boring:

13. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Xbox is the only console that can do 720p & 1080i as far as I know. It can only do it if it has been 'chipped' too; standard UK XBoxes can't do it. The PS2 has a few games that run in progressive mode and that works fine on the PW7 (as does 720p & 1080i on the xbox since it'll be in 60hz). If you can afford £3500 and want HD-compatibility, maybe you shouldn't go for a 50", get a PHD7 42" and a Lumagen or iScanHD+ scaler. This'll mean you have a true HD-ready screen

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    90% sure there are no PHD7 42" in cardiff on demo, there is a 50" i know of (MAW please dont swear at me ;) )

I do know where there is an handful of ISF'd PWD6/PWD7 tho.....
    Can try Quinns in swansea but its a shed and no Panny HD that i know of consumer screns only.......

15. robo989

robo989
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I see, cheers for clearing that up to me...I never did intend to get a 50inch screen tho, Only just got enough room for a 42incher!!!!

I've looked in google and can't find anything on the PHD7 at all really, quite surprising.

I read a couple of posts on forums - they were usa based tho, and a person was commenting on how good Gran Turismo 4 looked on the ps2 using 1080i, thats why I was assuming it can do it.

I have never seen an option for it in a game as far as I know and I got like 40 or so so I should have if it was there, maybe its only available on the US version where HDtv's are more common who know...?

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Swear at you? You know my views on 50" buyers, I welcome them! I'd lay of the written word against the Welsh BTW they don't like it.
    Farming sheep in Surrey has taken an interesting turn, we now have Llamas instead!

17. robo989

robo989
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    HD scalers, oh dear...I kinda know that they scale the video of a HD video stream "on the fly" so to speak so the pic can be displayed on a lower res screen right????

Are they expensive?

Is the reason that the PW7 not being HD ready simply because it can't do the 720p in 50hz, I take it it is classed as being ready in the US?

18. robo989

robo989
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    My mates got some llamas, and some ostriches (plural?) they're well groovey, vicious little buggers tho, he's got like a 4metre high fence to keep where they shud b.....fascinating ;)

(he also lives on a farm) :boring: :)

Sounds to me like I should shut up and get...

Panasonic PW7 42inch
    Component board
    Scart board
    DVI board
    Decent Scat\Component cables

1 final question, is there a cheaper way of getting the following sources into the plasma rather than buying 3 seperate boards...and what does the panasonic "mediabox\tuner?" actually do?

PS2
    Xbox
    PC
    DVD
    VCR
    Sky

I'm not too bothered about the pc for now so the dvi can wait really. Do these input boards only have 1 connector each, sounds abit stingy!

My Yamaha has 2 sets of component inputs and out set of outputs. So I take it I can connect 2 component devices (PS2 and DVD for example) at the same time and then another component to the board saving need for extra expense?

Or are plasma tv's real picky and have to have a direct connection n what not.

That really is my last terrade of ****ty questions, :)

ta

19. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    OK why not get a JS MCC (2 compoinent ins one out )
    Xbox>MCC
    PS2>MCC
    MCC>AMP
    DVD>AMP
    AMP>screen (component)
    VCR>AMP (assuming has composite)
    AMP (to screen componet as already if amp does video conversion from composite to componet other wise composite)
    SKY>JS RGB-VGA box>VGA input.
    Buy a Dual slot component and composite board
    and still have space for DVi for PC

setup like this will allow for Sky and consoles on screen at same time

20. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you were to get a PHD7, you wouldn't need the scaler until 2006 probably, since we aren't getting high-def TV till then. All it would do on that screen is enable you to display 50hz 720p & 1080i which is the UK High-Def standard. Even without the scaler you could play your xbox on 720p and 1080i at full resolution because it's 60hz! The PW7 would scale it down to Standard-Def. If you don't care about Sky High-Def or High-Def DVDs but you want High-Def games then I'd say go for the PHD7!

21. robo989

robo989
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    horneydragon thats exactly what I'm after, my amp does do the conversion so sounds ideal and not too expensive :)

I think I'll just get the PW7 because at the end of the day in a year or so's time I can sell it and get something more appropriate for HDtv when things have settled a little.

So I understand the PW7 can scale stuff just like a dedicated scaler, just not as good, rite?

22. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    yep it will scale all incoming video to native just cheaper electronics than a scaler........

23. robo989

robo989
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I've had a look in the manual for me RX-V540 and turns out it can't convert video to component only S-video\composite n vice versa...bums.

So can I just get this straight in my head...

PS2>MCC
    XBox>MCC

MCC>AMP Component Input 1
    DVD>AMP Comonent Input 2

AMP Component Output>PW7 Component Input Board

VCR>AMP>PW7 Composite Input Board
    SKY>JS RGB-VGA box>VGA Input On PW7

So I need...

PW7 42 Inch Plasma
    1xJS MCC
    1xJS RGB VGA Convertor
    1xComponent Input Board
    1xComposite Input Board
    1xDVI Input Board

I didn't understand what you said about a "dual slot" input board, is that like a cheaper input board that takes up 2 slots and has 1x composite and 1x component inputs on it?

And the PW7 comes with 1xVGA Input already right? no need to buy anything....(how kind of them :rolleyes: )

Can you buy these input boards seperately? Or are they in short supply on purpose to keep them expensive? Oh and what cables will I be lookin at all together then...

PS2 Component lead to MCC
    Xbox Component lead to MCC
    Male-Male component lead MCC to AMP?
    Male-Male component lead AMP to Plasma?
    Male-Male component lead DVD to AMP
    VGA monitor cable JS-RGB to Plasma

I'm not sure about the "composite" leads, do you mean comosite as in the crappy composite scart? or composite as in that yellow cable that just carries video?

How much am I lookin at all in, rough estimate?

cheers for your help so far everyone (I'm nearly there)

24. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    composite as in yellow lead yes
    Dual slot is component and composite boards in one, normally cheaper than 2 seperate boards but ses BNC (bayonet connections instead of RCA) so you will need one RCA>BNC component cable and one RCA>BNC composite cable