Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

getting a 4:3 image on a Panny television!

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by dexter, Sep 27, 2004.

1. dexter

dexter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Panasonic 16:9 tele - can't remember the model number. It has the following picture modes - Panasonic Auto, Full, Just and Zoom. I have a few dvds that are of old tv programmes and are in their original 4:3 ASPECT RATIO. Problem - I have tried setting my dvd player to 16:9, 4:3 letterbox and Pan and Scan but I cannot get a 4:3 picture on the television. The place I bought the dvd player from say that this is the fault of the Panasonic television because it does not have a 4:3 mode. How on earth can I get a 4:3 picture? Why won't the Panasonic Auto mode recognize a 4:3 image - I thought it might be dodgy encription/ flaging on some of the dvds but still no joy!

HELP!!!!

2. Mr Hoppy

Mr Hoppy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Several years ago I (briefly!) owned a Panasonic set (TXW32D2DP or something similar) that wouldn't display a 4:3 image when fed an RGB signal, even though the set had this mode.
    The set would allow 16:9 and 'Panoramic' modes to be selected, but not the correct 4:3 aspect.
    This probably doesn't apply in your case, as I'm sure you'll have a newer model, but just an idea!

3. TVhomejs

TVhomejs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So you got no manual? And you can't have a look at the backside, where model numbers usually are placed?

I once had a Finlux 16:9 with the same problem. I had two options with RGB: Broad and Full. So I couldn't use it with my STB nor watch 4:3 movies, unless I chose composite or S-video. Found out that all Finlux 16:9 tellies, old or brand new, had this limit. It's partly about Finlux producing their own STB and digital TV's. With composite and S-video they had all formats and zoom-options, you could think of, but from the beginning Finlux obviously decided that using all these circuits with RGB would corrupt the superiour quality of RGB-connection. And they have a point! Philips and Sony has moved in the opposite direction. And Panasonic has found a middle road. On a Panasonic TX32PS1 or 10 you could choose 16:9, 14:9 and 4:3, as far I remember, but there was no Vertical Position Shift, so using 14:9 zoom to watch a 4:3 letterboxed movie meant losing some of the subtitling.

But a Panasonic with no 4:3 at all with RGB? Haven't met one yet!

Knud

4. dexter

dexter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies - i'll get the model number and post it shortly. So does this mean that it is impossible to get a 4:3 picture with an RGB connection?