Getting 5.1 to work from streaming apps to AVR

Ocelot

Hi all
I have a new LG OLED CX55. At the moment it is connected to a Yamaha Rx-v671 via a suitable hdmi lead.

I have the hdmi connected to the eArc on the LG to the output hdmi on the amp. I also have an optical line in from the tv to the amp.

However I cannot for the life of me get the amp to ‘see’ a 5.1 signal so it’s always just stereo. In the amp I have entered setup -hdmi and HDMI control is set to on.

I have tried to set up the eArc on the tv but not sure if it’s right. I’ve looked in Netflix settings for an option for 5.1 but can’t see anything.

Can anyone assist?

Many thanks.

Pulse1

Take out the Optical cable between the tv and AVR and then see if you can get the 5.1 sound via HDMI.

Ocelot

so I went into the amp "on screen" then setup, select HDMI, select into that and ARC is set on.

Any further ideas? Thanks

calvind123

On the TV is SIMPLINK turned on?

Should be somewhere in the settings. From a different website it should be something like the following:

All Settings -> Connection -> Device Connection Settings

Sound Out should be set to something like HDMI ARC

Then there should be an option for the output over HDMI

All Settings -> Sound -> Additional Settings and turn on eARC.

All Settings -> Sound -> Additional Settings -> Digital Sound Out select “Pass Through”

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'However I cannot for the life of me get the amp to ‘see’ a 5.1 signal so it’s always just stereo.' - have you confirmed the content you are using for testing is 5.1?

The TV Optical Out should support 5.1 (when available) from the TV's onboard streaming services and is usually simpler to get going than eARC or ARC.

I would start with the Optical Out to the AVR Optical In and once you have that working with 5.1 content you can start on configuring the eARC/ARC connection.

Joe

Pulse1

so I went into the amp "on screen" then setup, select HDMI, select into that and ARC is set on.

Any further ideas? Thanks
What sound formats do you have selected within the Lg sound output settings? Do you have Dolby Digital plus etc set to on?

Ocelot

On the TV is SIMPLINK turned on?

Should be somewhere in the settings. From a different website it should be something like the following:

All Settings -> Connection -> Device Connection Settings

Sound Out should be set to something like HDMI ARC

Then there should be an option for the output over HDMI

All Settings -> Sound -> Additional Settings and turn on eARC.

All Settings -> Sound -> Additional Settings -> Digital Sound Out select “Pass Through”
Brilliant, it was Pass Through that wasnt set. Setting that instead of PCM and Netflix and Prime now pass 5.1. Iplayer still in stereo but presume that’s just the bbc?

Many many thanks!

Pulse1

Brilliant, it was Pass Through that wasnt set. Setting that instead of PCM and Netflix and Prime now pass 5.1. Iplayer still in stereo but presume that’s just the bbc?

Many many thanks!
Great you got it sorted out and yes iplayer only outputs stereo.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom