1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting 5.1 from a PS2

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by johnmcclintock, Aug 24, 2005.

1. johnmcclintock

johnmcclintock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK so perhaps not the best ever use of the TAG stuff ever but I am struggling to get full 5.1 out of my PS2. I have the Optic Link turned on (and obviously cabled) and the cable is connected to the MD input of my AV32R (I cannot see any other settings on the PS2 that relate to the sound output). I have checked that the game is outputting ProgicLogicII 5.1 but when the MD input is set to DIRECT I only get stereo sound. If I force one of the Multi-Channel options on the input I effectively get 3.1, not 5.1.

Any ideas what I may be doing wrong here??

Cheers,

John

2. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Is the PS2 outputting PLII? Surely you want the Tag to decode the signal?What are the output options on the PS2? See if you can flick through the surround modes on the AV until you get a 5.1 output. In direct mode the AV will always produce a 2 channel or 2 channel + sub output. :)

3. johnmcclintock

johnmcclintock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only option I can see on the PS2 is the one to turn the optical output on or off. The option for ProLogic is within the game software itself. I do indeed want the TAG to do the processing (or was that a rhetorical question?) I can only assume that the PS2 just throws the signal down the optical link without processing it at all as there aren't any options within the config of the PS2 to tell it how to handle sound (and presumably Sony don't want the responsibilty of having to support all the possible sound formats that are out there so leave it as just a digital, unproccessed signal).

Cheers,

John

4. tony @ suffolk

tony @ suffolk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I might be totally wrong here John, but doesn't the PS2 output Dolby Digital 5.1, rather than PL2 for the games that have it?

5. johnmcclintock

johnmcclintock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure. The game in question is GT4 and I am sure it says PLII. For reference I have the new slimmed-down version of the PS2 which has quite a few enhancements over the old one so I wouldn't like to say what it does or doesn't support. I can't imagine that developers would add a sound format that the PS2 wouldn't support, would they?

6. johnmcclintock

johnmcclintock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah just confirmed the GT4 does indeed output PLII.

7. g.man

g.man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi chaps, as i recall the ps2 was not designed to support dolby digital, tho some games claim to output it - ur guess is as good as mine on that one.
    It does of course support games coded with prologic II. I have my ps2 set up like yours john with the optical signal going into the DAB input and S-video going into the SAT input. i've only just bought the av32r so i'm really not up to speed with it yet, however, if i keep cycling between those two inputs on the remote i get a result. Flicking through the surround modes then does give me pro-logic II with the ps2 so take heart, this can be done!
    Sorry for my lack of knowledge about the av32r, just got it and haven't had time to plumb it in properly or read the manual yet, rest assured tho, you are on the right track!

Hope this is helpful
    G.man

8. Spen69

Spen69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi John

I see you found the forum then. Just chuck the PS2 in your bag, along with the Tag upgrade cable when you come to Sheffield this weekend. I'm sure the greater power of our collective brains can figure out how to get the AV32R to process your game in multichannel, even if it is PL2 it will be better than direct. Oh, bring the optical lead too - I can't recall if I have one in my bag of cables and tricks.

Spen

9. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I presume in that case that unlike the xbox the PS2 is incapable of outputting a 5.1 digital signal. In which case the digital signal its outputting is a stereo one with encoding for PL2. All you should have to do is set the surround mode on your AV32R to PL2 and you should get a pseudo 5.1 output :thumbsup:

10. johnmcclintock

johnmcclintock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The manual for the new PS2 seems to suggest that "you can enjoy surround sound with the effect of being in a movie theatre". I couldn't find anything that specifically said whether or not it supports 5.1 - although DTS and Dolby Digital are supported as part of the DVD player settings - maybe I need to poke around with these as effectively I guess it is being used as a DVD player with GT4.

Spen - I will bring it to Sheffield this weekend if I don't have any luck and see if we can, with our collective brain-cell work this out!! Will bring all the leads as well.

John

11. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    The PS2 cant do DD 5.1 in game, but can in FMV cutscenes

12. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Real time Dolby used in games is a little different to that used on movies :smashin:

13. johnmcclintock

johnmcclintock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting note CrispyXUk - for GT4 I have set the opening movie to 5.1 and I still don't think that works either (although I would need to confirm this later) I did think there were some anamolies with the 5.1 on the PS2 but I wasn't sure what they were and I also wondered if Sony had changed them with the new small-form factor one as they have a quite a number of changes with this version.

I suspect, however, that you are indeed correct about the in-game thing.. makes you wonder what the point in supporting 5.1 at all is.

14. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I think you will find that only DVD movies play back in DD5.1 on a PS2 period.... I am not aware of any game (and my boy has hundreds) that are DD5.1 encoded......Are not all PS2 games CD's anyway........!

15. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    You can only get PLII from PS2 games. For a list try here

http://www.hdtvarcade.com/ps2list.htm

There are other reference sites.

Of more interest is the output of Progressive Scan. I tried this the other day and it is the dogs gonads. It is an in game option, along with 16:9. It makes a very visible difference. I think the PS2 can output the 5.1 stream off the disc, as it can read DVDs. I think Sony PS2 discs are DVD based, I think they do hold more than 640MB as I've never been asked to put in disc 2 like you used to have to with the PSone.

Cheers

Rajiv

and yes I feed my PS2 into my Tag and damn fine it is too.

16. johnmcclintock

johnmcclintock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This seems to be getting more and more confusing. I have a TV that supports Progressive Scan but when I try this option with Primal (the game) it doesn't work - I have not tried it with any other game (for reference I have the 36" Panasonic Acquity TV - dunno what the model number is as it is at home and I am not).

PS2 games are on DVD - at least GT4 definitely is and I can confirm that even though I have chosen to have the opening movie in 5.1 it still only does the pseudo 3.1 (??) on the AV32R (PLII and THX are showing on the display of the AV32).

Is anyone actually getting 5.1 in-game on a PS2 or am I chasing a ghost as CrispyXUK suggests I might be?

17. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Yes you are, PS2s don't do in-games Dolby Digital. Most PAL ps2 games don't prog scan either

18. g.man

g.man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As per the instructions in my earlier post, I can confirm that I am currently playing MGS3 in Prologic II and it sounds great! Don't quite know what you mean by "pseudo 3.1" if you check the back of the games box it tells you what sound format the game is encoded with, ie ProLogic II for MGS3. The playstation2 and Gamecube do not output in-game sound in anything better than ProLogic II, if you want real 5.1 you'll have to get an Xbox, it will do you Dolby Digital 5.1 for games,(Halo has to be heard to be believed!) plus it will do DTS for dvd playback. :)

19. johnmcclintock

johnmcclintock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What I mean by pseudo 3.1 (excuse my extremely layman terms) is that the AV32 is creating a signal for the centre channel that is is not actually receiving (the other example for this is the TV input where I get the same 3.1 despite only feeding a stereo signal into the AV32). This seems to be what it is doing for the PS2 in-game. I will wait for the PS3 I think rather than get an X-box. Microsoft cause enough pain and stress in my life without inviting it into my home!!

And I have heard Halo in 5.1 albeit on a pretty low-spec home cinema setup and yes it did sound pretty good even then.

20. g.man

g.man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  21. johnmcclintock

johnmcclintock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have proven, once again, that I have the memory of a goldfish.

I had completely forgotten that I have told my AV32R that I have no rear speakers (as I don't yet have the power amps for that part). Of course the AV32R being clever when decoding the PLII signal remembers this fact and ergo does not attempt to send any signal to these speakers. This is why I am only getting 3.1, not the 5.1 anticipated!

I apologise to all for my stupidity and rubbish memory but thanks to all for your help and insights. I'll go back to playing GT4 in 3.1 - not as if that's not loud enough anyway!!

22. g.man

g.man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ho Ho! all's well that ends well John! Glad to hear you got it sussed, it's invariably something simple like that. :thumbsup:

23. Alex_London

Alex_London

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my experience, the PS2 doesn't do DD 5.1, but it does do DTS. This is game specific, however; I've only come across one game that supports DTS, and that's GTA3 (I think - it's been quite a while!). Works fine with my AV32R, for all other games I use PLII Game mode.

If you want "proper" surround sound from your games, get an XBOX!!! ;) (my PS2 has been gathering dust for quite a while because of the XBOX).

Alex

24. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    yeah I should have said I have a fat US PS2 and US games with a component cable to my plasma.

Cheers

Rajiv

25. Spen69

Spen69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice castle John....... after the amout of Jack Daniels we consumed over the weekend, I'm suprised you managed to remember what we'd guessed about the problem.....! :devil:

See you next time you've forgotten something else.