Getting 5.1/DTS and PC resolution?

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by MrCoopz, Feb 3, 2009.

1. MrCoopz

MrCoopz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    I have a PJ and was thinking about connecting it up to the PC and use it to play films and stuff but atm i have no 5.1/DTS output on my soundcard.

So Am i right in thinking that if i get a sound card with Optical out i can just plug it into my Surround System and it will pick up DST/5.1?

Also would i have to get the PC resolution pixel perfect with the Projector to get the full benefit of 720p or 1080p?

Thanks in advance

2. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +920
    Yes - though you will need to make sure that the Sound Control Panel and sometimes your playback app are suitably set-up.

If your PC has analogue surround outputs and your amp has 5.1 analogue inputs then you could try this route first - as that will enable you to use your PC player app to decode (the Windows native one is DD5.1 only for on-board decoding - but PowerDVD et al support DTS as well.)

Means not having to buy another sound card.

If your display supports Full Pixel or 1:1 then it is good to run your PC at the native resoluton of your display panel if at all possible - though with some non-square pixel based plasmas this may not be possible. Your projector should be fine AIUI.

If it is 1280x720 then run 720p (aka 1280x720 at 50Hz, 60Hz and possibly 24Hz) etc.

3. MrCoopz

MrCoopz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115

Ok thanks ill give that a try, i didnt realise i could get DD though analogue outputs. This is what it says about my built in sound on the mobo, maybe you can make more sense of it :)

And just just clarify about the Video side, So if i set my resolution to 1280x720 or 1920x1080 and my player of choice to full screen i should see proper HD?

Thanks

4. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +920
    Yep - you can do Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby True HD, DTS HD and PCM tracks via analogue audio with PDVD or TMT doing the decoding, rather than your amp. The 7.1 Channel Windows HD audio is the analogue audio bit in your PC. The software running on your PC will do the decoding. This requires that your amp has 5.1 analogue inputs though.

If you don't have an optical or coax output from your PC - then this is the easiest way to quickly try HD audio. You may still want a sound card though if your motherboard audio is a bit hissy?

You may also be able to do something with the HDMI_SPDIF header and a back bracket to get DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1 - but this won't help if you want 7.1 audio in quality from a Blu-ray.

Yes - though you may have to look at the overscan compensation settings in your drivers and reduce them to 0% if your display is 1:1 pixel matched (by default some drivers add overscan compensation and reduce the image size and surround it with black bars so that the full desktop is visible on displays with overscan or overscan simulation)

5. MrCoopz

MrCoopz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    OK thanks mate ill give it a go :thumbsup: