Get your HTPCs out for the (insert gender pronoun)!

I think that's the colour range, 0-255 (PC levels) vs 16-235 (limited).
I don't think MadVR knows the colour space of the target device.

I think that's the colour range, 0-255 (PC levels) vs 16-235 (limited).
I don't think MadVR knows the colour space of the target device.
You know what's weird is I know exactly what it is yet I still had a brain fart and confused it with colour space. :facepalm:

Bit of a positive update...I was looking at some online videos and sites on MadVr settings and I messed around with the Chroma Upsampling and reduced the CPU settings which seemed to have done the trick in terms of much more stable playback, I can pause, skip etc. and it still keeps playing fine. Even Flash Gordon now plays back fine.

I can even put in a disc and it plays back the main movie...but that can suffer a little from chapter skips not working properly.

I'm not sure it looks as good as my dedicated 4k player as the colours don't seem as vibrant but I might try some of the HDR settings to see if these change anything.

For now it seems to be a working solution, so pretty happy. Could do with a quieter CPU cooler now!!

post up some shots of your settings and I'll happy offer comment - can't guarantee it'll be good advice though!

Bit of a positive update...I was looking at some online videos and sites on MadVr settings and I messed around with the Chroma Upsampling and reduced the CPU settings which seemed to have done the trick in terms of much more stable playback, I can pause, skip etc. and it still keeps playing fine. Even Flash Gordon now plays back fine.

I can even put in a disc and it plays back the main movie...but that can suffer a little from chapter skips not working properly.

I'm not sure it looks as good as my dedicated 4k player as the colours don't seem as vibrant but I might try some of the HDR settings to see if these change anything.

For now it seems to be a working solution, so pretty happy. Could do with a quieter CPU cooler now!!
Same as Conrad :) But I've read a lot and tried a lot so hopefully I can be of use. Especially if in don't get the basics wrong again lol.

Make sure VSynch is on if you use NVidia GPU in the NVidia settings. Makes a massive difference to playback quality and will be able to push up some madvr settings.

And change power settings to On or full instead of adaptive.
This is all in Nvidia control panel -> 3d settings (I think)

Quick update - I think I've found the settings that work for me and my old HTPC.

So for now I can either pass through HDR or use Pixel Shader and seems pretty smooth. The colour pop from the Pixel Shader is there compared to outputting in HDR, so that looks nice.....I assume its not "accurate" per se, but it looks very vivid.

I watched the first 30mins of Ready Player One last night from the disc through MPC BE and it played fine. Chapter skip didnt work from the disc and CPU fan was going full tilt.

So, reasonably happy and not expecting to be able to do anymore than the basics with my limited GPU and CPU

Only photos i could find of mine.....

28DAE7EA-35A1-477B-A08F-74944DD85B31_zpsrk3i2sun.jpg

D1DFEF25-6CBD-42CF-A423-B4EA1DC5E7DD_zps21skvmkw.jpg

8D21CE17-A803-4E62-A70F-EC3D47ECC5D7_zps9maianl6.jpg

51A68401-8253-4035-8C06-F9EDD7257F17_zpsorcyaldu.jpg

3E471730-E812-4366-9BEC-666107BC5E62_zpsvkmfnskb.jpg

25A9C01B-EA3F-4C92-90D7-7B136E1357A1_zpsarqdmiu5.jpg

Runs JRiver Media Center client, connects to 4k TV and pulls content from my Windows Server 2019 fileserver running JRiver Media Center is server mode.

Only photos i could find of mine.....

28DAE7EA-35A1-477B-A08F-74944DD85B31_zpsrk3i2sun.jpg

D1DFEF25-6CBD-42CF-A423-B4EA1DC5E7DD_zps21skvmkw.jpg

8D21CE17-A803-4E62-A70F-EC3D47ECC5D7_zps9maianl6.jpg

51A68401-8253-4035-8C06-F9EDD7257F17_zpsorcyaldu.jpg

3E471730-E812-4366-9BEC-666107BC5E62_zpsvkmfnskb.jpg

25A9C01B-EA3F-4C92-90D7-7B136E1357A1_zpsarqdmiu5.jpg

Runs JRiver Media Center client, connects to 4k TV and pulls content from my Windows Server 2019 fileserver running JRiver Media Center is server mode.
About the same size as my PC :)

Very nice, what's the GPU?

Does JRiver play ISOs in that config?

I found that mounting the share as a network drive and using that as a local library means that I can use all the functionality, but then I have two libraries to manage.

Very nice, what's the GPU?

Does JRiver play ISOs in that config?

I found that mounting the share as a network drive and using that as a local library means that I can use all the functionality, but then I have two libraries to manage.

Good question. A 1060 i think. Needed to be short to fit in the case.

I don't use ISO's as i rip the disc and remove all extra languages and extras. So the film starts straight away, no delay.

Jriver will do that for you without having to rip it, it only bothers with the titles if you ask it to. But certainly to save storage removing stuff you won't watch often is a good idea.

Good question. A 1060 i think. Needed to be short to fit in the case.

I don't use ISO's as i rip the disc and remove all extra languages and extras. So the film starts straight away, no delay.
Well if the market ever calms down there is a 3060 Ti that will fit your case :)

I would hate that. I did hate that which is why I configured Kodi for network access. I just couldn't get on with JRiver when I tried it. I downloaded it specifically to help with auto configuration of MadVR since my GPU was only a 2060 maxQ.

Jriver will do that for you without having to rip it, it only bothers with the titles if you ask it to. But certainly to save storage removing stuff you won't watch often is a good idea.

Yeah, i’m running out of room. Gonna have to replace the 8 x 4TB drives with something larger. I looked at turning on dedup but was only going to save a few % so didn’t seem worth it.

Hi Everybody,

I have an old Advent DHE 500 Windows Media Centre PC. Pentium 4 based system and quite long in the tooth. It's quite a slim and quiet system and always worked well when I was using it. Is it worth trying to upgrade the motherboard/cpu and graphics card, because I really like the case or should I just retire the system and cherish my fond memories :)

If the case is a standard fit and you like it, no reason not to keep it and just upgrade the hardware inside.

Hi Everybody,

I have an old Advent DHE 500 Windows Media Centre PC. Pentium 4 based system and quite long in the tooth. It's quite a slim and quiet system and always worked well when I was using it. Is it worth trying to upgrade the motherboard/cpu and graphics card, because I really like the case or should I just retire the system and cherish my fond memories :)
Assuming you can even get the parts you want then yes why not. My case is about the size of an oversized shoe box. I've seen systems built inside cases the size of box folders. The key is air flow and cooling. Get that right and you can have a modern well functioning system with decent CPU and GPU.

Hi Everybody,

I can´t find pictures of it online. Can you show us what if looks like? Does it have a VFD screen? The key is: does it have a standard motherboard backplate hole at the back?

Looks like it could be a standard micro-ATX.

I'm never sure of the PC sizes. The only one I'm certain of is my micro-ITX PC.
I think it goes

ATX-Max
ATX
m-ATX (micro ATX)
Mini ATX
n-ATX (nano ATX)

Off the top of my head.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom